main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    That would be interesting. I know that it's on the 'Popular on Netflix' tab.

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't think TCW is truly "dead". I think we will get more eventually.

3. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I was the one who posted this originally. But you are missing the point. They told the person that they would look into whether the series revival fitted as a Netflix Original with their current business model. Since then they have made the decision that it fits with their business model of possibly being revived as a Netflix Original. That is the point I'm making. It was never labelled that before and not before that letter was sent to the fan. You may have said that its a standard response but you cannot deny the fact that it is now suddenly a Netflix Original when it wasn't before. A coincidence? I don''t think so.

Netflix are interested in getting more TCW. There was a post, somewhere, I can't remember where, where it said Netflix were interested in more TCW because of how successful it has been for them. And a lot of the voice actors have already expressed interest in returning if the series was revived. The difference with shows like Terra Nova and The River was that they never suddenly became 'Netflix Originals'. I think people are forgetting that Netflix came on board very late for Season 6. Season 6 was completely completed before they got on-board to distribute it. Netflix made no contribution to the making of Season 6. That is what a Netflix Original means: they fund for the show to be produced. For TCW to suddenly have that name, months after Season 6 has debuted, is suspicious, especially in light of the fans letter that said they would look into the possibility of reviving the show as a Netflix Original. Season 6 does not fit the Netflix Original meaning. Anything they have helped to fund or commissioned classes as a Netflix Original. Season 6 was not of their own making. :)

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I know that Season 6 was not, but if Season 7, 8 and so on were revived by Netflix, then they would be of Netflix's making. You are right about the situation of Terra Nova being a different situation, but my point was that the crew of Terra Nova was still in tact at the time that Netflix was making its decision. It was roughly this time of year, like when you go to IGN.com and they are keeping tabs on what shows will be getting cancelled and what shows are getting renewed for next year. Netflix was considering - but decided not to - keep Terra Nova afloat for an additional season.

TCW is different in that the crew is not intact. The decision to cancel the show was not the network's, but rather made internally as part of a new marketing strategy, and people like Filoni and some of the other crew have been reorganized to move onto Rebels, pretty much immediately following cancellation. With a lot of the crew (not the voice actors) having moved onto Rebels, they would either need to be replaced or pulled off of Rebels to go back to animating and directing TCW again, which I don't see Lucas Animation doing.

If TCW's situation had been more like Terra Nova's and faced cancellation because Cartoon Network refused to pick it up for another season and the crew was still intact and wanted to make more episodes, then I could see Netflix saving the show. But not when there was an internal decision to cancel the show, and move a lot of the crew onto another show that Disney likely felt made more sense as part of building up to Episode VII.

If enough interest is kept in TCW (which I think will wane after we get Rebels and trailers for Episode VII start to be released), then maybe it will get revived as a spin-off movie or limited series to wrap up major loose ends, but I don't think this is imminent, but rather might be something they consider when they begin to wrap up Rebels.

I could always be wrong, but I'm just not holding my breathe of Netflix resurrecting the show, but rather LucasFilm resurrecting those stories if demand is high enough, and probably not for another several years at the earliest, unless they continue the stories in another medium, like comics.

5. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Arrested Development's crew was not waiting around. That got revived 7 years later by Netflix. You need to look at some of the other examples instead of focusing on series that could have been revived but weren't. The difference here is that TCW is now labelled a Netflix Original Series whereas before it wasn't. Give me a good reason why they would suddenly change that based on the information I've mentioned?

Netflix has been inquiring to get more episodes made too since late March. As Watto said most of the crew was relocated offshore. The animation team is still there. And, Filoni has hinted these stories could get out if interest continues and clearly it still is. Filoni has also said that Kathleen Kennedy and Disney is now behind TCW whereas before they weren't. These are the points people are continuing to ignore.

Just because Rebels is around they cannot continue TCW? Rubbish. They can always hire more people or move some people from Rebels back to TCW or, you know, they can work on them simultaneously, especially as Rebels has inferior animation and less episodes. It won't take as long as TCW to make. TCW was quite far ahead in terms of where they were in the planning stages. They wouldn't have to start from scratch.

I will admit it is a long shot of it being revived but you cannot ignore the information I've presented. There have been hints, whether something is moving or not, we don't know, but it is highly suspicious... But if the interest is there, Disney/Lucasfilm will not pass up the opportunity to work with Netflix.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    A breakout character's series from Netflix would be fun -

The Secret Adventures of Hondo Ohnaka
    The Post-ROTJ Bounties of Cad Bane
    Memoirs of Tera Sinube ...

... That way, only one of the original VAs could be secured in the role, and new supporting casts could come about.

7. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Haven't they already recorded the voices for some of the unfinished arcs? I know they did with the bounty hunter arc, which is why I was surprised it didn't make the cut, but were there any others confirmed to be near-completion?

8. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Indeed, BH arc was done recording, there was also an Obi-wan/Anakin arc that JAT confirmed they did already. Nika confirmed she recorded some Ventress that has not been released but not sure which arc.

They may do motion comics for some of those that have recordings. I would prefer animation, but we don't know how they'll get these stories out. Filoni said at the time of the S6 Netflix release that the remaining Clone Wars stories are "very important to Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy." He thinks that eventually they will get released over the coming years but we don't know which form. They are treating the unreleased arcs as canon landmarks in the story that other material must work around especially since they were Lucas' final Star Wars stories... So why wouldn't they release them eventually? I'm sure as hlc88 said though, Netflix wants these and would likely partner up to get more on their platform as it would mean more subscribers. Star Wars exclusively is a HUGE win for them.

Totally different concept, imagine if one of the more popular TCW S7 or S8 stories is made into a spinoff movie, ie the Yoda/Wookiees arc.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Hair Gel Hijinxes of Lux Bonteri...

pronker likes this.
  10. WampaSwamp

WampaSwamp Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2011
    If they DID decide to renew the series in some way, what would this mean for the Son of Dathomir comic? Would they leave it in comic form or would both it and the animated version co-exist at the same time?

11. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    They've said the existence of the comic doesn't prevent them from eventually making the animated form of the arc.

podjazd, pronker and hlc88 like this.
  12. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Think of it like the comics they've adapted to screen in recent years, Marvel and DC, it can be done if someone champions the concept but they usually adapt it to screen. Although this is unique as they WROTE it for screens, so they could use that original screenplay. I don't think anyone will work on this one for a few years at least, but don't count it out just because it's had a comic release.

pronker and hlc88 like this.
  13. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Well, the Son of Dathomir arc wasn't voice-recorded at the time of cancellation but scripts were done and I imagine storyboards and probably preliminary animation was starting but they hadn't got far with that one. I think that would have been closer to the end of airing of S7. It would probably be released/made later on.

If the show is revived then I think they'd finish off the arcs that they had already voice-recorded first: these being Bounty Hunter arc, Obi-Wan/Anakin arc, POSSIBLY Yoda/Wookie arc (we know they showed a clip of that arc at Celebration last year I believe so I am assuming voice-recordings were done on that one too) and a Ventress arc. For sure there are three arcs that had voice-recordings done. Finish those ones off, see if there is demand for more and continue on from there.

Obviously I don't want to get people's hopes up... but we will see. Only time will tell...

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

But they won't make it in animated form

15. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

The fact that they have actually said it doesn't prevent them making it in animated form means more TCW in animated form hasn't been ruled out as we once thought it was.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Who knows when we will get it though

17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Which is, again, not imminent. The crew was not waiting around and had seven years to do other stuff.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I never said that LucasFilm would deprive Netflix of their exclusivity to TCW.

Filoni has also compared it to the pendulum swinging back to the OT after over a decade in the PT era. Again, I'm not saying that the pendulum won't swing back to the PT era (though I suspect it won't), but even if it does, I'm not expecting this to happen any time soon.

I never said they couldn't, just that it was unlikely. Rebels seems to gear up more towards the OT era, which is superficially tied closer to Episode VII. Just as Detours was on indefinite hold because it didn't exactly fit with what Disney wanted to do leading into Episode VII, I would think that they would hold off on revisiting TCW until at least Episode VII is out the door, but by then Rebels will also be on the air. And then the question will have to be asked at that time, if there is still enough of a demand for TCW and the desire to come back to it. I'm sure there will be a demand among some, but I think when the ball gets rolling with the first new saga films in a decade, and OT nostalgia, I don't suspect people will want as strongly to come back to the era that has been tread since 1999. Things will be different, whereas before Lucas made the OT, waited nearly two decades, made another trilogy, and said that would be it. Disney is exploring VII-IX, an intertrilogy series, spinoff movies, and possibly X-XII and beyond, given the success of the sequel trilogy. They're not restricted to the same two primary eras that Lucas cherished, and I think as all this stuff makes its way onto television and movie screens, that the devotion to see TCW resurrected will wane. Rebels might blow TCW out of the water and that in itself might weaken interest in TCW by comparison, I don't know, because we haven't seen the show yet.

18. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    You can write as many walls of text as you want... the bottom line is we don't know what the new corporate overlords plan on doing with the franchise overall, and how they'll work in the diverse interests of fans. While they want kids to be familiar with and care about the OT characters who come back in Ep 7-9, that doesn't mean they won't use other characters and time periods elsewhere. It's like saying Marvel (also owned by Disney) isn't going to do any Spiderman cartoons because they are already doing Avengers cartoons. That obviously doesn't have any legs. Marvel has had time to grow and blossom over time so there is a lot going on, and the same thing will likely happen with Star Wars, where we will get more and more content from different parts of the universe as time goes on.

While Filoni and crew obviously care very much about the OT feel and worked that in to Rebels, that's not to say that they or a different crew won't pick up a different part of the universe during Rebels, in between seasons, or after Rebels has wrapped up. The concept of letting the Prequel Trilogy "rest" is mainly pure fan speculation especially considering the Clone Wars is it's own animal from the PT and it can exist in a "sandbox" unto itself, and I wouldn't really put it side by side with 1999 Phantom Menace content.

Kids... you can have both Pizza AND Burgers! Sometimes even at the same time if you want to gorge yourself! I'm a bit more hopeful in terms of the possibilities ahead in terms of getting different kinds of Star Wars content that we'll get to enjoy simultaneously. [face_party]

19. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah, I really don't get where this whole resting the PT era has come from. A few things stand against that assertion: the new app starts with the prequels - why not just ignore them? They allowed continued production on TCW arcs whilst working on a new show which proves it possible they can still work on both IF they chose to. One of the first comics they are producing officially in the new EU is a TCW one. Disney/Lucasfilm actively promoted TCW at a press launch event for Season 6. They are still releasing PT-era toys in upcoming releases...

I'm being optimistic rather than pessimistic. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that they could come back to TCW especially if Netflix are willing to contribute to cost and are asking for more. It won't be something Disney/Lucasfilm will ignore.

20. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    Believe me if there is money still to be made from TCW Disney will jump at it but not till they see how Rebels fairs. Personally I am definitely holding out hope. Despite our worries of Disney making a dud with Rebels they have always been dedicated to their fan base. TCW technically wasn't their show so I can see them wanting to distance themselves from it as much as possible. It doesn't mean that they won't address it in a couple years or so. I'm going to enjoy Rebels assuming it is good. To say that TCW will lose viewers or devotion is a valid point but seeing the time period it was set in and the characters used it will always have that special place in the realm of the GFFA. Rebels is creating all new characters for the show. Other than a couple cameo appearances from Vader, Ben, Ahsoka or other PT characters they will be building the attachment for the characters from the ground up. I think that is an extremely hard thing to do and while kids will flock to it I think that older viewers such as myself and others who have grown up with the OT being the only thing for a while will find it hard to get attached to the characters. The reason for that is because we have to believe the story that they have for the characters. Anakin had his story line already set up for TCW and same with Ben and the other Jedi. Just my thoughts.

21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know why my "walls of text" and assumptions that TCW will be dropped are any less valid than optimism that it will be resurrected. It is correct to say that nobody knows what they are going to do, except Disney and LucasFilm. And they probably haven't figured it all out yet. But I for one don't want TCW to return. If it boils down to having pizza and burgers, but I've been having burgers for the last 6 years, I'd rather have pizza and nachos instead.

A war that in universe was staged, concluding in Season 6 with Yoda pretty much remarking "we're ******," and characters we've been with for years in a series that pretty much has established that the heroes don't have a chance, coupled with ROTS book-ending the series... No thanks.

I support the notion of them continuing the TCW story to wrap up its loose ends in other media, like the Maul comic - which has my interest and I may very well pick that up. But if it comes to putting a second Star Wars show on the air along side Rebels, I hope it too will be new. Just because TCW was a hit on Netflix doesn't mean that LucasFilm couldn't sell the idea to Netflix to fund a new Star Wars show, showing that they have what it takes to make a successful show in the Star Wars brand. And I would hope for that long before I care to see TCW back on the screen. The only exception would be if they were given one more season, or even just a miniseries special to go all out and wrap everything up, but I am actively against the idea of seeing the ongoing adventures in a staged war for an indefinite number of additional seasons.

IMO, there's a limited number of stories there worth being told that can really wrap up the series, like stories of Maul, Boba Fett, Rex, Ahsoka and Asajj accompanied by the beginning (or duration) of the Outer Rim sieges to really set the stage for ROTS. Enough stories there to maybe flesh out one final season, or even just another "Season 6"-esque bundle of episodes.

That's not meant to rain on anybody's parade in that I'm against it to spite anyone. I'm against it, because if Netflix is willing to put forth the money to make a Netflix original Star Wars series and it's agreed between the parties to resurrect TCW, when I feel like the number of good stories left to tell there are numbered, intermixed with the series spinning its wheels with the likes of D-squad arcs, I'd see that as a missed opportunity to negotiate a new show with Netflix and start over with something new, but perhaps with the TCW style and level of animation.

22. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Don't get me wrong, the picture you're painting isn't much different than what I would ask for now that we're getting into specifics. They wrote a couple more seasons that we haven't seen yet, and they've come out now and called those unproduced arcs canon. I understand not all of the Clone Wars arcs were as popular as others, so they may not get around to producing some of those anytime soon, i.e. Senate and droid arcs. I think a lot of us are just hoping to have them put out the material that would resolve the storylines that are open, or concepts that most of us would agree are just plain cool.

You're right that their back is up against the wall with ROTS and the Yoda arc's ending plot-wise. The stuff really on the table for me are character arcs outside of the major conflict of the war-- Maul's endgame, the Cad Bane/Fett arc they almost completed, the last Anakin/Obi-Wan arc, Yoda with the Wookiees, Ahsoka's connection with Bo Katan, Ventress' dramatic arc, and the resolution for Rex. They're gonna get to most of these in some way shape or form and I'd say most of us would agree they should.

23. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    I agree with all your points. All I would want are the arcs. There is very limited room to even do much more because of the time frame left after the Yoda arc.

Clone Trooper Rex likes this.
  24. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I agree with most of your post (Although I wouldn't mind more TCW episodes) what was so bad about the D-squad arc? I've only seen the first epiusode of it and it wasn't that bad, It wasn't good but I didn't outright hate it. Do things get worse?

25. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    If you liked the first episode, you might like the entire arc. But it's not for everyone (and definitely not me). I did not like the first episode, and I think the second episode of the arc was the worst of the four.

Had the arc been condensed into a standalone story or two-parter, it might have been OK. But IMO four episodes was way too long for what it was.