main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    mattman8907 :
    I think we know that the Jedi Order is "in its infancy". I don't think we need to have a Jedi ghost tell us that, do we? I actually would prefer it if Luke had a vision about this new threat rather than having dead Jedi tell him about it.

T-R- likes this.
  2. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003

I hope we get new and interesting stories. But, I've got a bad feeling that the the opening crawl for Episode VII will go something like this:

It has been thirty years since the death of the Emperor.
    Luke Skywalker has ushered in an era of peace unlike any in the history of the galaxy...

War has vanished from the Republic.
    Aliens throughout the galaxy have learned to live together in peace.

Seriously, nothing has happened in thirty years.
    The last relevant thing was the celebration on Endor. Until now.
    Nothing else of interest happened.

InterestingLurker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If they actually put that precise phrasing on the screen, Episode VII would more than likely be elevated to my favorite episode of the saga before the camera ever even pans toward stars.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is the official synopsis for Heir to the Jedi:

What do we all think? Who is this new alley and "asset", who's a female?

T-R- likes this.
  5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    im thinking maybe mara jade

Ryus, Abadacus and T-R- like this.
  6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm hoping that the "asset" is the princess of Ondos. With red hair.

7. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I get the humor, but how much happens between EP III and IV? R2-D2 and C-3PO are even on the same type of ship!

I do expect the 30 years before EP VII to be largely filled with peace and tranquility. But some new evil or mystery has arisen...

Artoo-Dion and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I'm curious if they will be publishing any books set in the 30 year gap between RotJ and VII. I'd love to read a new take on what happened right after Endor or how Coruscant changed hands.

Krueger, darklordoftech and T-R- like this.
  9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm sure we'll get it, but it will probably be after VII is released

Krueger likes this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013

[face_praying] LFL, Come on old buddy don't let me down. [face_nail_biting]

And named Mara with some badass training who Luke stears towards the light. ;)

I can handle a new origin story... I guess. Zahn kinda made Jades a bit too 'not to my liking' with his origin books for her. I love her origin idea in TTT (always though more one among many) but her books set in her past had her defeating Vader... [face_talk_hand] I love her strong but there's no way at her training level she could let alone only Luke and Leia are stronger (emperor too)

Jedi Merkurian and T-R- like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't so much "defeat" as "got out of his way, giving him a chance to calm down".

Still, Mara's capabilities in material set pre-TTT never really made sense in the context of the TTT statement that she'd only picked up a lightsaber "a handful of times".

Ryus, Adi_Gallia_9 and T-R- like this.
  12. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Yeah, stuff like this is one of the reasons I don't mind the EU going. There just got to be so many contradictions over the years, even in books written by the same author! I love the idea of LFL taking some of the great EU characters/settings/planets/species etc. and then putting them into a more cohesive canon.

13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I loved the EU for a while; read many of the books, but got increasingly jaded with the whole thing as authors appeared to be groping around for new ideas. Who's the villain this week? Oh one of the Solo twins... OK maybe I'll stop reading them at this point.

Despite having several book shelves filled with novels and Dark Horse miniseries I'm quite happy for the movies to wipe the slate clean. Looking forward to it in fact.

14. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Yep, that's exactly my take on it too! And even if it's no longer canon, there's nothing to stop me from re-reading the stuff I really did like (X-Wing series!)

darklordoftech, T-R- and CairnsTony like this.
  15. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    The only post ROTJ EU I'm sorry to see thrown out of canon are Shadows of Mindor and Tatooine Ghost. Not bothered about the rest to be honest.

DarthBreezy and T-R- like this.
  16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    When I read the longer Heir to the Jedi synopsis, I must admit, the first character that popped into my head was Mara Jade. If it isn’t her, I think it’s just a matter of time before Jade and Thrawn make their appearance in the new EU.

A lot of people are speculating in the Lit forum that it might even be Ashoka, although I’m not sure whether they mean his friend or this so-called asset.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Ahsoka is a solid guess too. She has to show up again at some point, I'd imagine.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Wouldn't Ashoka tell him about his dad and the darkside?

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Considering the much Lauded* 'Story Team' is involved, and Ahsoka is Dave's beloved character, I'd think that's a good guess - I don't know if she knew who Vader ultimately was, so it's up in the air...

*That depends on how people want to pick and choose exactly how much 'influence' the story team has going forward, If they can (redacted with apologies - I'm in a mood unrelated to our boards) mine from the existing EU, surely they can use TCW too...

T-R- likes this.
  20. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Now that all the EU has been thrown out the window. Maybe she could be in episode 7
    [​IMG]
    Yaddle back in the saddle.

21. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Yaddle spin off. You heard it here first!

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Well here's our 'red wig!' - a pairing to even make the staunchest 'You know who's' fan's eyes bleed!

[face_rofl]

TtheForceHurts and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I brought popcorn for the Mara Jade fight,

[​IMG]

but alas no one is here...

Dark Lady Mara and Krueger like this.
  24. Brewmeister Smith

Brewmeister Smith Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2014
    I guess I'm a little late, but boy am I glad the EU has been abandoned. Ever since the Thrawn trilogy was completed, I've been afraid that Lucas would listen to EU fans actually adapt the books to make the sequel trilogy. They would have made terrible Star Wars movies. There's no Sith Lord, there's only one lightsaber duel (not a very good one at that), and there's no saga-like story arc that is essential to the OT and PT.

The only rationale for making the Thrawn trilogy into Eps. 7-9 was the loose way the books were divided into 3 parts. That was always stupid reasoning in my opinion.

A Star Wars trilogy needs an authentic Sith Lord (not a deranged Jedi clone), at least 1 duel between Jedi and Sith in every episode (the Thrawn trilogy had none), and to tell a mythical, epicyclic story (not just set up the next EU story arc).

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

25. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Heard on twitter from chat jason Ward had with someone from Del Rey, Mara jade may be in Tarkin

Dark Lady Mara, T-R-, Ryus and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.