main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke Have A Child? If So, Where's Mom?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Sorry, but the Domhnall Gleeson thread has been getting out of control since we don't even know who he's playing. Therefore, I felt a thread devoted to the possibility of a Luke offspring was needed. If not, please direct us to where the conversation about this should take place.

My take? It's fine if he does, but there should be a substantial story surrounding it. Just having a son-boom there he is-seems like a huge jump to make.

Palpatine77, Indy 11 and Dra--- like this.
  2. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    As I mentioned in another thread, the absence of an actress who could be Luke's wife in the casting announcement doesn't mean he hasn't got one. I'm convinced she'll be a supporting character in this one, and she'll be announced later on. Same way I'm convinced there's at least one more Solo kid, who will be in the supporting cast.

Even if she's not involved much with this movie, I'm sure she'll have more to do later on. But I think if Luke does have a biological son then we WILL get to know his mother.

3. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    The mystery female that hasn't been cast could be for Luke's wife.

But geesh-wouldn't all of that be repetitive?

goincommando likes this.
  4. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    How would it be repetitive to have Episode VII start with Luke being married?

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm leaning twords hoping not as every time the possibility comes up, it inevitably devolves into a discussion about it being Mara or a derivative of her - even if it were a Twi'leck, someone would make a MJ connection.

leiamoody and Dra--- like this.
  6. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
  7. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I can see it going either way. I would like Luke to have his own family, but I could also see them going the whole Obi-Wan/lone wolf route with Luke too.

I don't think the missing female character is Mrs. Skywalker. I still think that would be the other girl on the casting call. So I don't think Luke's wife would be a major character, if she does exist. But like Claire1976 said, I could see a more minor role for her with an actress to be announced later.

ChildOfWinds and T-R- like this.
  8. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    No wife. John Boyega will be a force sensitive boy that Luke adopted and is raising on Tatooine.

9. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Well it is 30 years later she may not be around cause she is dead but hey that happen in LEU, no way for that to make sense in VII. ;)

T-R- likes this.
  10. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Dak Oolron and T-R- like this.
  11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Fast as I knew it would. :rolleyes:

Claire1976 likes this.
  12. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The Force gives Luke a child, just like it did Shmi. Luke gets quite uncomfortable around the 9th month.

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Watch the baby be born with a red wig on too. :D

8-}

-

Being more serious though thermatically Luke with a kid of his own thermatically best rounds out the three trilogies and that does mean a mother had to be involved. Lucas could have written something less thermatically 'complete' but with all the rewrites would that remain? I find it doubtful JJ and Kasdan seem the types not to change something like that and go for a more OT vide where Luke does have a kid vs a PT vibe where all Jedi remain single. A supporting role is where I see the mother fitting in, where as this major female role yet to be cast should be closer to the new leads ages (teens to thirties).

14. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The episodic saga is supposed to be a story centered around the Skywalkers. As it would continue the established pattern, I would like for Luke to have a son, but we don't know enough at the moment to say he will for sure have a child at all. Let's say he does, in that case the child's mother will either be a secondary character or she will have passed away. Granted we don't know a whole lot, but everything that is out there is saying that Boyega will be the star which to me means he will be a current or former student of Luke's at the beginning of the ST. In that manner Boyega's character will be like a son if not actually Luke's genetic off-spring. This sounds an awful lot like Luke will continue the tradition of celibacy within his new Jedi Order, or at least he alone will live that way, if not make it a mandate of the Order.

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That seems a little out of character to me. Luke doesn't get married and goes Tatooine hermit on us yet adopts a kid?

There are plenty ways to address Luke's wife.

Luke's wife doesn't need to be a major character. She could have a very small role. No reason why she can't be like Breha Organa (well, maybe a little bigger role, but you get the idea - non-adventurous type).

She could be dead before the ST starts, maybe dying in child birth a la Padme.

She could have a minor role in VII and more screen time later

16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    The movie will be about how Luke and his son search for the missing Lady Skywalker who has been kidnapped by mysterious space pikeys. Infiltrating the enemy, Luke's son becomes a Pikey himself and lead a band of heroes to a dark side planet where everyone has a red wig.

What happened is that Luke's wife's hair was cut off and the new baddie uses it to clone an army of red-haired Sith warriors. Luke, realizing what happened, goes crazy. He does not realize that the Sith behind it WAS his wife and is played by Max Von Sydow-wearing a red wig of course.

17. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Maybe. And your guess is as good as mine.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    way to snark your own thread ^:)^

19. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Maybe he hasn't met her yet. Maybe his child is yet to be born. Maybe I'm just talking a load of ....

Dra--- likes this.
  20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    It's Leia ala Game of Thrones.;)

SgtTimBob likes this.
  21. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Looking at both sides of the argument we have this debate that goes along with the thread:

On one hand, Luke having a son would mirror the other trilogies and sort of complete the circle.

On the other hand, how would Luke having a son add anything different to the story and how would/could it keep from being overly repetitive?

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    My prediction is: No. Luke won't have a biological son. For a whole bunch of reasons, but the main two reasons are:

1. Regardless of whether or not they cast anyone as Luke's wife (in a main cast that is already crowded) , or have her die offscreen it still creates a storytelling problem. It would entail giving Luke a major romantic storyline that happened completely offscreen -- since Luke meeting this woman, getting emotionally involved with her, conceiving the child and presumably getting married are all things that would have happened without the audience ever seeing them. Yes, of course it could be done. Just about anything could be done. But I really don't think it's likely.

2. The only actor in the cast who looks like he could play the part is Gleeson, who was billed sixth in the official press release. No, I don't think the press release is likely to follow the future billing of the movie exactly -- but I do think it will be in the same ballpark. Billing matters in Hollywood. It matters a lot. And if Dom was playing such a major character as Luke's son, I would expect him to be billed at least third or fourth, and even that is pushing it.

There are other reasons, too, but those are the main ones.

I do think Luke will have an adopted/surrogate son, played by John Boyega, and he will be the main character. That's my prediction. Of course I could be wrong.

The real problem is that it could easily be a year or longer before we find out the answer for certain. And in the meantime, this question is just going to keep going around and around and around, ad infinitum.

23. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    If his son had no connection to the Force?

24. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    And then Leia, who is a pikey Jedi Master, wearing a red wig, saves him.

25. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    I think the whole cast will have a red wig. Well, why not? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.