main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ulicus , Jedi Ben, Zeta1127 and 5 others like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That sums it up perfectly.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Havac

Great article! I must confess, while I am much more solid in the "ok to reboot the EU" camp, your article did remind me of it's glory days and made me lament about what we will lose. God willing, someone in the new Story Group is paying attention to your FANTASTIC article... =D=

-Adm. Nick

anguirus2003 and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    We're losing a lot, no doubt about it.

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If LFL can't learn from the example of the NJO and not allow the likes of the post-NJO to transpire, then they have absolutely complete and totally no hope of ever getting me to care about anything they do going forward, not that there is much hope in that regard.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    We lost the NJO?

Starkeiller likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, Hav's a big fan of NJO? I had no idea. Really.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I really liked the beginning of the NJO and liked Invasion for that reason. But I felt that things got increasingly out of hand and by the end of it (despite great books by Keyes, Allston, Stover, etc) I was pretty tired of it.

I liked that it was new while still tying together a lot of the EU but I feel like it failed it's fundamental promise to pass the torch... not least by killing off the younger generation.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

jSarek and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The NJO did?

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've commented .... and it's not going to be what Hav expects!

(Well, it'll start off the way he expects... but if he gets past paragraph 1....)

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Denning did in SBS anyway.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Lusa:_|

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And everyone who died on the Myrkr mission.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    But, was that not what you were reading it for?

You wanted greater ever jeopardy and actual death did you not?

WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, not really

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    One Denning book in moderation sure. Not what came after. That was hell. I was entertained in the series. Han in Agents of Chaos. That was worth what happened in Vector Prime. Should have had some of the Council members mixed in. More of them killed off and less of the next generation. Anakin............... Him and Tahiri need to be together!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Having read the NJO recently, I agree with the sentiment of Hav's article, but I also agree with Jedi Ben's comment most of all. Whatever sort of story the ST tells, if they don't have the chutzpah to stick with whatever they lay down, it'll destroy the purpose of re-igniting the franchise. Del Ray went back on their own ground-breaking, torch-passing story and destroyed everything the NJO built. We're not "losing" a lot because of the whole Legends deal, 90% of the NJO was already destroyed via LotF and FotJ. So long as the brains in the Story Group and the rest of the gang stick to their guns and let the new cast from Episode VII carry the franchise forward into the future, they'll already have done better than the EU ever did.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank God for Legacy then. Though that was probably way too late in the timeline.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I mostly like Legacy but I threat it as an elseword story. A good read but not what I want SW to become

Starkeiller and Cynical_Ben like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I love the Legacy plotline of the Vong having progressed to the point where they finally understand the extent of the wounds they inflicted on the galaxy and have a need to offer their skills as a move towards atonement for the wrongs of their predecessors.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm worried that so long as a certain person is involved these lessons won't be learned.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That are part of what I really like with Legacy also

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The tone was darker in NJO for sure but I never got the feeling that their cause was hopeless. Compare that to afterwards. Enemy after enemy, no successful wrap up. People getting killed left and right and getting horribly injured etc. The Skywalker/Solo split in LOTF was a good idea at first but on re-reads something was lost because of that.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  24. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I have had great reservations about the prospect of a sequel trilogy ever since I read the Dark Empire trilogy, which essentially utilized the concept of the sequel trilogy as originally planned. Then the NJO came around and I became convinced there is absolutely no need for a sequel trilogy. Now, I'm pretty certain they won't do something half as innovative as the NJO, and if they bring back Palpatine and try to salvage the originally planned "super-arc" of the entire saga, they'll be needlessly regurgitating something that's already been done (of course, that won't temper my excitement just for watching Ian MacDiarmid as Palpatine again, which is what dreams are made of).

Indeed, trying to one-up the NJO is a bad idea, as proven by everything that followed it. TUF is a natural ending point for the story of the original SW heroes and the final passing of the torch, and the whole thing was done very well throughout the book series.

So, although I am naturally interested in watching these new SW films, I have a feeling they won't succeed either in properly continuing the saga (which, to me, requires Palpatine in person and an Anakin-related plot), or in doing something truly innovative (as they will probably always fall short of the NJO in that regard).

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It killed Anakin, Lusa (lol), Dorsk 82, and several new people we didn't know before. It left us with Jacen, Jaina, Jag, Zekk, Lowie, Tenel Ka, Tahiri, Tesar, Tekli, Ben, Izal Waz, Octa Ramis, the Antilleses, the Horns, Gavin, Cal Omas, Kre'fey, Sovv, Releqy, Triebakk, Droma, Ephin Sarreti, the whole first student generation of Kyp, Corran, Saba, Tresina, Kenth, Kyle, Cilghal, Kam and Tionne . . . there's just a whole wealth of kids, next-generation Jedi, successors in leadership. Just a huge cast. The only area we weren't full of successors going forward was the fringe. I think it was a mistake not to have introduced a new scoundrel character or a second-in-command for Karrde or something.

EDIT: I don't understand why it didn't include Jello's post because I was replying to that, but whatever, I'm on my phone, I'm not going to fix it.