main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    To add more creepiness to the scene.

Sab Jo likes this.
  2. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014

One of my favorite moments in the saga. I had a friend that ridiculed this moment as stupid. Can't for the life of me understand why. Cinematically it was chilling and perfect.

Sab Jo and Alexrd like this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  4. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014
    Also, why didn't Obi-Wan use Force-speed to catch up with Qui-Gon and Maul?

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    If he had gone faster, he might not have been able to stop in time to avoid running into the laser walls.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013

timmoishere and Darth Bradius like this.
  7. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014

LOL, nice. Yeah, I guess between that and the laser walls using Force-speed woulda been a lot more dangerous than I realized.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Why do the Jedi forbid multiple padawans at once?

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Jealousy worries, I figure - the possibility that the padawans will compete with each other and the "loser" will become jealous.

I think Qui-Gon, in his tale to Obi-Wan about why A Jedi Shall Not Know Love, in the comics, also says that a master shall not have multiple padawans for the same reason.

10. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    If Dooku had killed Anakin and Obi Wan in Episode 2 (as he could have) what would his role in the Empire have been? Would he have served as the Darth Vader-style enforcer or would Palpatine have replaced him with someone else as soon as he found a powerful enough apprentice?

Could Dooku have ever challenged Palpatine?

kubricklynch and Darth Bradius like this.
  11. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014
    Interesting question. For some reason I can't imagine Dooku ever becoming stronger than Palpatine. Perhaps Dooku's midi-chlorian count is lower? Does that even factor in?

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    From the ROTS novelization, Dooku and Palpatine are talking before Anakin and Obi-Wan arrive:

Dooku didn't count on Palpatine's treachery, however.

13. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014
    What does the star underneath my screen name represent?

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they represent the amount of post, trophies, etc. someone else probably knows more.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Stars tell you how many posts you've done.

16. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    So if stars are post count, what are the titles that say things like "Force Ghost?"

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think that is linked to your points and is sort of your rank.

rdhight likes this.
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  19. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014
    Hm, interesting. Thanks guys!

20. Tomsta

Tomsta Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2013
    Anakin was so concerned with not loosing Padme that he would do literally anything to save her, so when he heard about the possability of using the force to save someone's life he was drawn to it and wanted it

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it"

21. Darth Bradius

Apr 27, 2014

I think what might have worked here then, is to see some recognition in Anakin's eyes that he at least considers for a moment that Palpatine is the Sith Lord, then maybe brushes it aside or ignores it for the sake of his obsession with saving Padme. The later, when he confronts Palpatine about being the Sith Lord, he could be less surprised and more resigned to the reality. I agree that this could have been handled better.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a lot more scenes in the novel - in which Palpatine explains that he's been reading about the Sith ever since the Jedi revealed their existence to him:

"Many of the Jedi on your Council would prefer I was out of office altogether—because they know I'm on to them, now. They're shrouded in secrecy, obsessed with covert action against mysteriously faceless enemies—"
    "Well, the Sith are hardly faceless, are they? I mean, Dooku himself—"
    "Was he truly a Lord of the Sith? Or was he just another in your string of fallen Jedi, posturing with a red lightsaber to intimidate you?"
    "I..." Anakin frowned. How could he be sure? "But Sidious..."
    "Ah, yes, the mysterious Lord Sidious. "The Sith infiltrator in the highest levels of government.'' Doesn't that sound a little overly familiar to you, Anakin? A little overly convenient? How do you know this Sidious even exists? How do you know he is not a fiction, a fiction created by the Jedi Council, to give them an excuse to harass their political enemies?"
    "The Jedi are not political—"
    "In a democracy, everything is political, Anakin. And everyone. This imaginary Sith Lord of theirs—even if he does exist, is he anyone to be feared? To be hunted down and exterminated without trial?"
    "The Sith are the definition of evil—"
    "Or so you have been trained to believe. I have been reading about the history of the Sith for some years now, Anakin. Ever since the Council saw fit to finally reveal to me their... assertion... that these millennium-dead sorcerers had supposedly sprung back to life. Not every tale about them is sequestered in your conveniently secret Temple archives. From what I have read, they were not so different from Jedi; seeking power, to be sure, but so does your Council." "The dark side—"
    "Oh, yes, yes, certainly, the dark side. Listen to me: if this 'Darth Sidious' of yours were to walk through that door right now—and I could somehow stop you from killing him on the spot—do you know what I would do?"
    Palpatine rose, and his voice rose with him. "I would ask him to sit down, and I would ask him if he has any power he could use to end this war!"
    "You would—you would—" Anakin couldn't quite make himself believe what he was hearing. The blood-red rug beneath his feet seemed to shift under him, and his head was starting to spin.
    "And if he said he did, I'd bloody well offer him a brandy and talk it out!"
    "You—Chancellor, you can't be serious—"
    "Well, not entirely." Palpatine sighed, and shrugged, and lowered himself once more into his chair. "It's only an example, Anakin. I would do anything to return peace to the galaxy, do you understand? That's all I mean. After all—" He offered a tired, sadly ironic smile. "—what are the chances of an actual Sith Lord ever walking through that door?"
    "I wouldn't know," Anakin said feelingly, "but I do know that you probably shouldn't use that... example... in front of the Jedi Council."
    "Oh, yes." Palpatine chuckled. "Yes, quite right. They might take it as an excuse to accuse me."
    "I'm sure they'd never do that—"
    "I am not. I am no longer sure they'll stop at anything, Anakin. That's actually the reason I asked you here today." He leaned forward intently, resting his elbows on the desk. "You may have heard that this afternoon, the Senate will call upon this office to assume direct control of the Jedi Council."
    Anakin's frown deepened. "The Jedi will no longer report to the Senate?"
    "They will report to me. Personally. The Senate is too unfocused to conduct this war; we've seen this for years. Now that this office will be the single authority to direct the prosecution of the war, we'll bring a quick end to things."

timmoishere likes this.
  23. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Having not read much EU set prior to the PT, can someone explain why Palpatine was chosen to be a Sith?

I get Vader's power of the force, Maul's combat and stealth and Dooku is a high ranking Jedi that has been turned, but what was Papatine's quality that Plagueis saw in him to be used? Manipulation appears to be his biggest character trait - but would that be a key aspect that you'd look for in an apprentice, especially when he's then more likely to overthrow you.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Darth Plagueis, it was after Palpatine, as a teenager, had used the Force to massacre his family, that Plagueis, now aware of Palpatine's immense strength in the Force, sought to make him his apprentice.

25. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    v-wings.