main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. -Engelhast-

-Engelhast- Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2010
    I agree with everything but Leia. I really think there is still lots of room and plenty of reason to show HER hero's journey. She is by far the most under developed of the major characters IMHO. I could honestly do with or without any Lando back story.

2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    You can analyze the characters and say they're kid stuff, but let's analyze them a different way. ...OK, I can't find the image, so I'm re-creating an equivalent:

[​IMG]

And yes, I know Kanan is no Obi-Wan, Ezra and Sabine (probably) aren't brother and sister, Han is not a green Twilek, etc. etc. etc. I'm not saying it's the ANH cast with a coat of paint. It's not.

And this show's ads are doing an amazing job of not getting me excited to see it. If it sucks, I'll be throwing rotten tomatoes, not making excuses.

But it's not a coincidence that we have an old Jedi in hiding, a pilot who don't take no lip, an alien enforcer, a young, Force-sensitive boy, and a feisty girl. If we're going to ding the character designs for being too kid-oriented, we also have to give them credit for the OT archetypes they employ. It's too early to groan "kewl grafitti artist, arrrgh kill me."

Lest we forget, the original trilogy had a teensy bit of kid appeal too. I mean, princess? Farmboy eager to get out of his boring hometown? Chewie? R2? In a gasp, PG format? (Yes, I also know PG-13 wasn't invented yet.) What I'm saying is, the OT didn't sell its soul for kid appeal, even though there's plenty there to point your finger at. Let's not give up just yet.

podjazd and Lord_Anzeroth like this.
  3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Those from the OT are hero archetypes and appeal to all ages. This is different in the sense it seems to appeal to young children only, which is what Disney seem to be aiming for. Hell even the Clone Wars while still being a kids show still had some adult content i.e. Ventress killing a clone while kissing him and implied Sexual slavery with that Cat queen and Ahsoka. It's doubtful that will happen in this show.
    As for Ezra and Sabine well don't forget Luke and Leia were originally meant to get together and at the last moment Lucas made them brother and sister in RTJ (terrible idea in jmo) to get around it.

Lord_Anzeroth and dolphin like this.
  4. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    How do you know this when you haven't seen a single episode? I again point to the TCW promos looking childish as well. People were making the exact same claims about Ahsoka. Hell, people were saying meaner things about Ahsoka originally.

vinsanity and podjazd like this.
  5. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
  6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

The laser slingshot and animation screams younger demographic. Hope I'm wrong. None of us has seen an episode so it's all conjecture at this point. :)

7. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

And having the shows heroes going around planting bombs and blowing up buildings screams a little bit older demographic. I think we all just need to wait for the show to come on before we start jumping to too many conclusions about what the show will be like as you said.

8. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but so did Ahsoka's wise cracks and Jabba's infant son. Also, what about TCW's animation style screamed, "adult?" Especially in its first season? Hell, what constitutes an adult animation style versus a childish one?

9. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Lol, people jumping to conclusions on here based off of a sixty second trailer is actually an improvement from what we usually see on this site. A lot of folks here jump to conclusions based off of a single link. And they don't even bother to open the link and read the article they just start saying how bad something is going to suck based off of nothing else but the words said in that link.

10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    The movie will be televised only and it consists of the first two episodes of the series written by Simon Kinberg (he also wrote the season finale). The shorts we have not gotten any updates on but considering they also called them "character interstitials" I'm guessing they are the character bio videos already released by Starwars.com.

KeithyT likes this.
  11. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Watto yeah that's what I wondered on those character bio videos. Thanks!

12. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    Actually, we might still see those interstitials. A few days ago I wrote about "Mistrzowie Mocy" - a show on Polish Disney XD. Well, despite it's description, it wasn't about "Rebels", but characters from the films. Narration was goofy and awful - kinda like those "spelling bee" promos. It seems that it aired in the UK too: link.

So, I wanted to clarify that. But, to the main topic: I guess you heard about those meeting organised by Lucasfilm for selected bloggers on may the 4th? Well, one of them claimed that

My guess is that was indeed something new, otherwise they didn't have to keep it secret. Maybe it was unfinished animation? Because I also found this (sorry, something's wrong with embed code).

KeithyT likes this.
  13. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Thanks for sharing... my theory though is that these are still the same character bios we already saw. These self-proclaimed "mommy bloggers" who were invited to the May 4th Rebels event were not very familiar with the show, and from what I saw in their reports, Vanessa Marshall was there and showed her bio video which we already saw. So set expectations that these were already seen...

podjazd likes this.
  14. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    She was still a teenager. I believe Leia and Luke are 19 at the start of ANH. I agree that Leia should have a role in rebels since as far as we know, she has a pretty significant role in the rebellion. Therefore her story would be very relevant to the subject.

V-2, Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    You mean some people read the whole link?

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  16. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Leia appearing would be cool and all but I'd want to minimize it and keep the focus on OCs like Ghost's crew as much as possible to avoid issues TCW had. That's mainly being to predictable because of how movie characters limit the stories being told and make the story predictable. I mean even if Leia somehow loses an arm and gets cybernetic one that looks so much like a real one no one would know the difference in ANH there still just isn't as much impact as say Sabine losing an arm.

17. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    If Leia was going to be a little bit older than I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of her in the show. But she is only going to be about 14 or 15 through probably the first few seasons of the show and I am still trying to forget the fact that some planet in the Star Wars universe elected a 14 year old queen. If she is in it I hope it is in a non authority figure position.

I'm hoping since Lucas isn't involved anylonger we won't see that kind of stuff anymore.

18. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    They also entrusted a 14 year old girl with a weapons platform capable of dishing out kiloton level firepower. If we go by the figures in the ICS guide anyway.

[​IMG]

Set for max yield and area-detonation (flak type bursts), a volley of shots from that thing could lay waste a city and kill millions. Seven shots in a row of linked cannon fire (both barrels firing simultaneously) at max yield = an aggregate yield roughly equivalent to the Hiroshima bomb.

Ya think any society on earth would give 14 year old girls the keys to that kind of firepower?

Suffice to say while at one level their society kinda resembles ours, at another level a lot of the norms conventions and standards are... different. Quite a lot different in fact.

podjazd, Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Not to mention, y'know, the twin swords of pure energy that have the ability to cut something merely by touching it, which she holds in a grip which could easily result in her at the very least cutting her own forearms to shreds.

[​IMG]

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's almost as if it's space opera!

21. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I always thought they were just trying too hard to be cool with the underhanded grip, but then I saw some concept art of Ahsoka saying that she used the lightsaber "Zatouichi" style. At that point, I forgave the underhanded grip.

By the way, has there been any news since the teaser premiered? I've been out of the loop a little bit.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Zatouichi? Bwaaaah, zatouichi schmatouichi. Your first instinct was right. It's every bit as dumb and impractical as you thought, merely done in an attempt to look cool to those who know nothing about sword fighting.

Watch:

V-2, Darth_Pevra and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I personally don't have as big of an issue with Ahsoka doing what she did because she was being trained as a Jedi and had special physical abilities. Also Ahsoka was always just a padawan throughout the entirety of the series. There are a lot of movies and stories made about young teenage girls with special physical abilities being fierce warriors. How many stories though are there of 14 year old girls being elected queen of an entire country or planet though?

24. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Oh it's useless in reality, I agree. I was just happy that their reference was an old samurai film rather than The Force Unleashed or something. Then she started dual-wielding, which was doubly impractical, but I loved it anyways. Dual wielding is just cool!

thejeditraitor and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The debates around here were freaking hilarious when Ahsoka first got her second lightsaber. People knew they were pissed as hell, but not sure why it was okay for Ventress but not Ahsoka. [face_laugh]