main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Who will you blame for weak episode of "Star Wars Rebels"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan, May 13, 2014.

?

Who will you blame for weak episode of "Star Wars Rebels"?

1. The writers

51.2%
  2. The directors

4.9%
  3. The producers

17.1%
  4. Others

26.8%
  1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ok. I am curious to hear opinions on this, but I am not sure how this goes with Star Wars fans.

So when "The Clone Wars" gave us weak / bad episodes or episodes that some of us thought were bad, the first "villains" to be pointed at were the writers or Lucas.
    I never heard somebody blame the directors of the individual episodes or arcs. Are the writers really the ones to blame if an episode is poorly received?!

It is kinda different when reading comments about a movie, people tend to blame the director more than the writer / writers. The writers get away most of the times.
    When I read comments about how much some do not like the new Star Trek movies then I "enjoy" a lot of "Cause J. J. Abrams sucks" or something like that (I am giving this as an example cause J.J. is now in charge of the Star Wars movies). Even with some videos like "Everything wrong with X-men: The Last Stand in...", the guy in the video mostly places the blame on the director Brett Ratner and not on the writers (one of which is Simon Kinberg).

If there are weak episodes in "Star Wars Rebels" then who will you point the finger at?

PS: Not trying to be negative, I am curious just which is the main reason for most fans. I am excited for the show and what it will offer.

2. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    It's the writers job to make an episode work with their writing, but if the writing is bad or otherwise negative in a way that directly hurts the episode, it is they who logically should logically get flack for a weak/bad episode (or rather just the writing itself since I don't really want to blame a writer directly for a subpar product). Still, a director is supposed to steer the writers in the right direction and approve the final scripts so a bad/lackluster episode is also his/her fault as well since he/she has approved the episode and is perfectly okay with the transformation from script into final episode, despite the fact that many of us watchers might think the final product turns out bad.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The responsibility isn't solely on one person. The writers are the ones conveying the message so I usually give them a fair amount of responsibility, I am a story teller that writes, myself. What you convey is just as important as how you convey it. The others I'd give most responsibility to is whoever approves the stories in the first place. Yet, some also rests on us fans for how we handle what we perceive is a weak story.

4. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll blame Obama.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    As long as they don't get the Star Trek Voyager writers they should be all right. Voy was pure dreck by the time it was out of the first season, and rarely strayed from it. The absolute nadir of the horror was probably the infamous Warp Ten Lizards episode.

7. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    chose 'others' because 'no one' wasn't an option.

if I like something on TV or in books and movies, then that's it. I like it and I come back to it when I'm looking for something good to watch.

However, if I don't like it, I don't come back to it and move on. I don't care who may or may not be responsible for it.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Society.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Depends on the circumstances. TCW had the method of a lot of the ideas originating as a vague synopsis by Lucas given to writers to flesh out. Sometimes the synopsis was just so bad that I can't really fault the writers for being able to pull it off (e.g. D-squad; poison tea). Other times I think there's a solid idea, but that was executed by the writers poorly (e.g. Onderon).

I pretty much don't blame the director, unless the director had also written or at least came up with the idea. But I can't really think of an instance in TCW where bad directing is alone to blame for a bad episode of TCW.

If the writers are given more freedom, then they'll probably be the ones I blame the most. If Filoni fills Lucas' shoes and just starts dictating vague ideas to be developed into stories, then I'll likely blame him most of the time, unless - like Lucas - he sometimes gets a good idea that just isn't executed well, IMO.

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    BREAKING NEWS: Disney cancels Star Wars Rebels, cite "Insightful Forum Post"

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Darn you Disney :mad::p

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

On a serious note, I hope this show isn't treated like TCW sometimes is on this board, with Filoni getting the blame for things we knew from interviews specifically weren't his idea. But that's probably a very high hope.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll own to making the mistake of blaming Filoni for the Barriss Offee fiasco which was not his idea. But at the same time, his attitude in the To Catch a Jedi commentary didn't lend itself to absolvency either.

But, if he can avoid pet character promotion in this series, I may never bad-mouth the man again.

Trebor Sabreon and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    They seem to be going for an ensemble thing, so I don't think we will get the obvious we're-supposed-to-see-the-story-through-this-character's-eyes thing like with Ahsoka again.

Force Smuggler, Seerow and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I voted producers on the theory that the writers won't be making the big decisions on a show like this. Writers will be to blame for bad dialogue, but not story or character issues.

20. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Canada.

TKT likes this.
  21. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
  22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Does that include bringing back Plo Koon? He is a Jedi Master, and we never saw him die :p

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Dave Filoni

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
  25. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Not Filoni, that other guy, who's not Filoni. Yeah, THAT guy! That guy sucks.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.