main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish Obi-Wan and Ashoka brought him back and not the Father.

2. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Anything would've been better than finger poking the dark side out of him!

3. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    If we're turning this into a complaint-fest, the arc I thought was completely wasted was Order 66. The Mortis, Yoda and Bardotta arcs may have involved some creator self-indulgence, but they might also turn out to be a preview of a new, more magical direction for Star Wars, so I'm hesitant to call them a waste until I see how those ideas are developed. Order 66 was just a dumb attempt to fix something that didn't need fixing. The clones do not need an inhibitor chip. There does not need to be any secret "kill Jedi mode." Order 66 does not need any special properties that make it different from Order 65 or Order 67. Clones follow orders, and that's all the explanation we needed. The "on the run" aspect of the arc was entertaining, but the meat of it was just a waste of everybody's time that disrespected the characterization of the clones.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just a random thought I had: Did season 5 ever have a subtitle? I know the other 5 seasons did, so it seemed strange to me that S5 wouldn't have had one...

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No ****.

And good point about the other orders. Were there 150 inhibitor chips in each clone's brain?

Lord_Anzeroth and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    No it did not. I don't believe Season One had one either.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Should have been called Season 5: The Adventures of Wac and Gascon :p

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think of it as Season 5: The Return of Darth Maul. Yah, it was technically in S4, but in S5 he really becomes a major player and steals the show.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Or the Vengeance of the Maul Brothers

10. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I never really liked when TCW dragged out stories to four episodes. Some arcs can use a little shortening.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    AFS: I don't know that there was any agenda to S5. Some think so, fine. I still think the Wrong Jedi is a strong story. I think it was brave of Ahsoka to leave the Jedi and really it was rather dumb they figured she'd just act like the prior several eps never happened. I don't see the Yoda Arc as broad anything but whatever you like.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    wow, never poke the bears i guess.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

btw i like how you're complaining about the ep being pretentious by sounding pretentious. ha ha!

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You just presented the agenda.

That's exactly what you were supposed to think.

Look at Ahsoka! Look at how brave she was! Look at how enlightened she was!

I'm sure it felt like validation for people who already hated the Jedi but I'm not swayed in the least bit.

So about that Clone Wars show, since we do have a "films not fans" rule here...

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I cannot emphasize this point enough. Let's not resort to personal attacks, people. That makes me an angry mod, and you won't like me when I'm an angry mod.
    [​IMG]

16. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    The writer Brent Friedman said his unaired Season 7 Clone Commando arc centered on Rex and Echo, and it was a "dirty dozen" type of group. Anakin has an active role with them. It got me thinking that Rex has some major catastrophic battle injuries and ends up getting cybernetics like Echo. This takes him out of the 501st and into this new group of experimental cyber commandos. I got to thinking about this also because Friedman's Season 8 arc had the "Terminator 2" buddy pic vibe with Rex and R2. Rex is more like a Terminator after all with the cybernetics.

Here's the Echo concept art again which Dave shared on the unproduced commando S7 arc:
    [​IMG]

pronker likes this.
  17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    So... Echo becomes Lobot?

18. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    That's okay with me, as long as I get to keep him.

19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

It's a bit like what happened on 24. Good and bad guys both used torture in the early seasons of the show. There wasn't a lot of commentary about it (other than that it was super effective); it was just presented for us to form our own opinions about. But pretty soon, political writers would critique 24 just on the presentation of torture, ignoring all other aspects except maybe for surveillance. It started becoming the most important thing about the show. We got storylines involving torture that kept getting longer and more central to the plot and characters. Toward the end, Jack got essentially put on trial for all the people he had tortured over the previous seasons, and torture was the female lead's main subplot. It had gone from a sidelight to a main subject of 24, to the show's detriment.

That's what the "unpopular Jedi doctrine" element of the prequels and clone wars feels like to me. In every prequel, their more... uh... controversial aspects are more important and more complicated. In TPM, some found certain Jedi teachings were a sour note, but they were presented without much commentary. Then they started getting more and more focus -- a major aspect of the Anakin/Padme thread in AOTC, and then a major part of everything in ROTS, a subject of the plot in their own right, where Anakin hating Jedi doctrine could be the main point of a scene.. And finally we end up with this arc where the wrongness of the Jedi is the entire subject, there's a big trial, and our hero takes the high road -- the words "wrong Jedi" are right there in the name, for crying out loud! Freudian slip much?

It ate the show. The ST had better get back to an outlook where Jedi are a good thing. I'm tired of Jedi wrongness.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
  21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Cyborg Rex? I wonder what would happen to Rex to give him such injuries. I hope its not an explosion like the one Echo may have managed to inexplicably survive. For a badass like Rex I want to see some sort of beat down last stand where he keeps getting beat down, gets up and lasts a few blows. Then he get beat down again but gets back up. Repeat til Rex wins and collapses seemingly dead at the end having beaten his opponent.

Man, I kind of feel like Echo surviving even if Fives is dead and doesn't know he's alive (how did he not know?) undermines Fives character arc.

22. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013

Don't get me wrong, Jedi can do awesome things and sometimes even act awesomely- but you are tripping over them in various Star Wars stories. It feels like Jedi Wars and some other stuff that happens in the background. Jedi work best, IMHO, when they are used more sparingly compared to normal non Force sensitives like pilots or diplomats or smugglers or bartenders. Helps keep the mystique and hype high.

What a place to ask for less Jedi in a TCW thread.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    =D= Well said. The PT and TCW writers should have stopped with the few scenes demonstrating that the Jedi had their heads up their asses where Palpatine was concerned; the scenes demonstrating that they did not believe the Sith could possibly come back. That would have been sufficient to show them as "flawed."

The PT elicited some fan commentary that if the Jedi had just let Anakin get married, maybe they wouldn't have died, but I think the majority still came out of the movies believing that the Jedi were victims and on the side of right, with Palpatine and Anakin being unequivocally wrong.

TCW sought to expand on "the Jedi should have been nicer to Anakin if they wanted to live" mindset by throwing Ahsoka into that mix. That final arc was intended to make the viewer angry at the Jedi on Ahsoka's behalf. And the Order 66 arc was intended to make the viewer angry at the Jedi on the clones' behalf.

Enough already. It was ridiculous. TCW desperately needed a headstrong innovative writer who insisted on a "guardians of peace and justice" arc. Or three. Or four. Just to balance out the "piss on the Jedi" arcs.

As far as Rebels and the ST, no, I don't want to see Jedi everywhere either. They are supposed to be dead in Rebels, and the ST would not realistically have as many Jedi as the PT and TCW.

rdhight likes this.
  24. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

That is your opinion and I respect it.
    I still think that TWC exposed certain aspects about the nature of the Jedi Order at that time and the Jedi philosophy that was not touched upon the films. And let's just leave it at that.

Also, I don't think the Order 66 Arc served the purpose you are referring to. On the contrary, it provided closure to fans of the clones, so that they don't think that the clones killed the Jedi out of simply following orders. Instead, they have chips in their brains and they killed they carried out Order 66, because they were "programmed" to do so.... *sigh*

25. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Yeah i hear you on that. Cyber-Rex was just my speculation since he is in the Echo arc, and he is in Friedman's T2-like arc (which also had me contemplating time travel!). We should probably write off my speculation based on the question Friedman answered today:
    Brent Friedman ‏@BFree63:​
    @Halabrew No time travel in the Rex/R2 arc. The T2 vibe came from our heroes co-opting a Super Battle Droid... and growing attached to it.​

So now we have some Super Battle Droid thing to speculate about...

Seerow and cwustudent like this.