main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Watching the Star Wars Saga Eps I-VI for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Articulate, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I forgot I posted that. Let me try to remember what I was thinking.
    Oh, okay.
    Darth_Articulate, I just haven't really been in a position since I sort of stopped caring about others seeing movies and now.
    I use to think it would be neat to expose people to movies, like "oh you haven't seen it? You should see it..." and then show them or whatever, but they wouldn't care. Actually sitting and watching with them just makes it feel awkward and lessens my own enjoyment of what I like.
    It's just the people I've been around. Obviously some of you have/had better people around you.

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I tried this with Doctor Who with a number of people, (one of whom "hated" sci-fi and thought it was "silly and ridiculous, why would anyone care"...until I showed them it) and it was never awkward at all...they all really liked it, and it was loads of fun. I hope to at some point do the same with some of my SW-less friends, if I can find time.
    I suppose it's just different perspectives. And people.

The worst that could happen? They don't like it. But they might love it, and that feels great.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    My girlfriend used to always give geeks & nerds trouble for being like that....not she's stressing over the fact that she is becoming one. Its awesome.

4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    That's why it strikes me as odd you'd be discouraged after reading on here that these people exist. One would think if it had any effect on you at all, it would be encouragement.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I think the perfect method is:

Episode IV
    Episode V
    Episode VI (up to the point where Obiwan talks to Luke on Dagobah about his father)
    Episode I
    Episode II
    Episode III
    Episode VI (continue after Luke leaves Dagobah)

This will keep all the OT reveals intact, and will make the Obiwan/Luke conversation on Dagobah feel like one big flashback when watching Episode I-III.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've done this with people who never wacthed Star Wars 4 times:
    3 friends an 1 ex-girlfriend.
    I think it worked better following the in-universe timeline.

7. Darth_Paininthebutt

Darth_Paininthebutt Jedi Master star 1

Jun 29, 2004
    I would like to know if there are any users who have watched Star Wars in order (From Episode One being the very first movie they have seen to Episode 6 being the last).

I am curious to get a detailed review of the saga from your perspective as most people have seen the Original Trilogy first.

8. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    My viewing order was 1 and 2 in cinema, then 4, 5, 6 somewhere between 2002 and 2005, then episode 3 in cinema. So I guess I was pretty close to watching them in chronological order. But what exactly do you mean by a detailed review?

I don't really remember how well I understood star wars back then (I was born in 93 btw), but I do remember being aware of the original trilogy and its significance. I think I did like it when I finally watched it, but I've come to appreciate it much more when I became a real fan of the saga after watching RotS in cinema.

So I was young and wasn't very perceptive of the differences between the trilogies. That came later, but it didn't change the fact that I love all six films.

9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I saw the original trilogy before the prequels, but it was all so close together that I never really viewed them as separate entities. To me I just always had Star Wars in my life. I was born in '94, watched the originals in '98 or '99, and saw each prequel in the theater on or around Memorial Day each year, since my birthday's around then.

I know I don't fit the viewing order that you asked for, but just to give some "details," I remember thinking, in the time after the release of TPM, that Qui-Gon Jinn was secretly a Sith and that was why he didn't disappear when he died. I assumed that he knew what Anakin would become and that was why he was so adamant about him being trained. I also thought that Palpatine and Sidious were separate people until RotS; I knew that Senator/Chancellor Palpatine would grow to be Emperor Palpatine of the originals, but for some reason I thought that Sidious would wind up being a different character. So I guess the revelation that Palpatine was Sidious was a bit of an "I am your father" moment for me in 2005.

10. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Before I was interested in Star Wars I saw a snippet from VI (the Jabba part, I still find it the most boring part of the saga). Then I watched II at my cousin's and I somewhere later (It was before 2005). Later my brother bought the originals (DVD) and so I watched IV, V and VI then. I watched III in theatres.

11. Darth_Paininthebutt

Jun 29, 2004
    I would like to know first reactions. Things like Darth Sidious being Chancelor Palpatine which became the Evil Emperor. Or Anakin Skywalker becoming the Dark Lord instead of the Messiah. Watching Episodes 4-6 first, we knew these things before watching the films. So it was no surprise whatsoever. But my question is, DID YOU know?

It seems that people already knew a lot about Star Wars before watching their first film - or putting them all together in their young minds and not fully taking everything in at the moment (can't blame you).

I watched the Original Trilogy in the theatres when I was young. I will provide a review in a few days.

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I was (or am retroactively) surprised at Anakin Skywalker even having the potential to be a messiah, because there's no hint of that concept in 4-6. ;)

TKT and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
  14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    With me? Or with the OP? Or someone else?

15. Darth_Paininthebutt

Jun 29, 2004
    Now that filming has begun on a new trilogy (or perhaps more than a trilogy), I would like to tell the newer generation how I viewed star wars growing up.

I was just a toddler when Star Wars first begun shooting back in 1975, so I never made it to opening day. We didn't have the Internet back then so my first information I got from Star Wars was from marketing. My mom's friend found a lost Star Wars toy near the bathroom of a mall and gave it to me. I didn't know who the person was, but I wanted to find out more. More and more, everyone talked about Star Wars.

When I saw Star Wars (now called A New Hope) I didn't know who Luke's father was. Now, even people who have never seen any Star Wars movie know the famous scene at the end of Empire Strikes Back. But at that time, nobody knew what happened to Anakin except that Vader killed him. And nobody knew that Leia was Luke's brother. Nobody saw Jabba until Return of the Jedi, Yoda until he was revealed to Luke in Dagoba etc. I doubt it if these people were suspenseful to you on your viewing of the saga since they were already introduced to you in Episodes 1-3. Likewise, when I saw episodes 1-3, there was very little suspense because I knew what would happen (it's just that we haven't seen it yet).

Of course, I loved Star Wars very much. And, when the Empire Strikes back came out, people first started calling it Star Wars 2. At that time, someone made a movie and then made a sequel with a different storyline if the first one became successful. Often too often, the sequel never does as well as the original. But what made the Empire Strikes Back so special? Was it the special effects? Was it the continuing cast? Or was it the expansion of the universe? I would have to say that there was something more than those things.

When I saw Empire Strikes Back, I remember Han being frozen in carbonite. That happened around 1 hour and thirty-five minutes into the movie. My first thought was, that's not supposed to happen. He's the hero. But then it went to Luke landing on Cloud City. My next thought was, great Luke is going to rescue Han. Then, when Luke and Vader are battling it out, Lando, Leia, and Chewie go to stop the bounty hunter, but they didn't. I thought, how could they get away with this? And then I thought, how long is this movie anyway? There is still a lot the heroes have to do. Then Luke's hand gets chopped off? What the hell? What? And then the bomb. Vader's Luke's father? What the? But when are they going to rescue Han?

You see we never knew that we were watching a trilogy. It never occurred to us. Likewise, when I went into the theatre to see Return of the Jedi, it didn't occur to me that this was the final movie until Darth Vader killed the Emperor and died in Luke's arms. We never thought these things would happen.

I think most people, since they grew up with the notion of trilogies, sagas, and what have you, wouldn't be so intensely moved as I was back in my youth. Star Wars has influenced many movie sagas such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Twilight, and many, many more.

16. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    bumping this thread for it's greatness.

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
  19. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder if you could squeeze in the parenthetical (I-VI) in the title somewhere. I'm just worried this will turn into another "best viewing sequence" thread.

20. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    If you watch them I-VI, I think the plot twist is Anakin to the Dark Side, if you watch them IV-VI, I-III, the plot twist is Vader being Luke's father.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    great post paininthbutt.

22. Sariel2005

Sariel2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2014
    Wow, never occured to me., Gotta say if I was a fan of Obi and Anakin from the prequels and Clone Wars then Episode IV would be incredibly depressing

bigtukker likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Intentional, it is.

"If I'd taken the prequel trilogy to a marketing company, Episode I would've started here [III] and Episodes II and III would've been about Darth Vader killing people. But in the end, I wouldn't be able to write movies like that.

If you see them in order it completely twists things about. A lot of the tricks of IV, V and VI no longer exist. The real struggle of the twins to save their father becomes apparent, whereas it didn't exist at all the first time [audiences saw Episodes IV, V and VI]. Now Darth Vader is a tragic character who's lost everything. He's basically a bitter old man in a suit.

"I am your father" was a real shock. Now it's a real reward. Finally, the son knows what we already know.

Its a really different suspense structure. Part of the fun for me was completely flipping upside down the dramatic track of the original movies. If you watch them the way it was released, IV, V, VI, I, II, III - you get one kind of movie. If you watch I through VI you get a completely different movie. One or two generations have seen it one way, and the next generations will see it in a completely different way.

It's an extremely modern, almost interactive moviemaking. You take blocks and move them around, and you come out with different emotional states."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

That was kind of the point of the prequels. Forcing us to view the originals in new ways which we never would have been able to conceive of on our own.

25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Well, it was one possible approach, and it was the one that GL was interested in using. But it's not the only possible approach.