main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Guys, what even is TV anymore.

2. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Just got back from Amazing Spider-Man 2. Good Lord that movie is long. 2 1/2 hours. And it still leaves a lot of plots hanging in the air at the end. Overall, while there were some good scenes, I wasn't a fan. Acting's okay, effects are passable for the most part, Garfield and Stone are likable enough and have good chemistry, but the movie drags like a dog on the carpet, there's a weird tonal problem where they can't decide if it wants to be funny and lighthearted or serious and brooding, and the score is horrible. Biggest problem though: bad writing. I'm going to have to watch Spec.Spidey again to wash out the taste of a Kurtzman/Orci script that makes most of the MCU films look like Shakespeare by comparison. There was at least one scene where I swear the dialogue between Gwen and Peter was lifted straight out of Attack of the Clones.

So, yeah. Looking forward to Godzilla this weekend. Hopefully it won't suck quite this bad. But since it wasn't written by Orci and Kurtzman, I don't think it will.

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I really don't know anymore, Coop. Seriously, I can't believe that is a terrible medieval musical series, and I don't understand why Almost Human was canceled, only for Fox to pick up Gotham City with Jim Gordon as a detective, before Batman and company.

Emma Stone is like the only reason I have even watched Amazing Spider-Man, and I still don't understand why a Spider-Man reboot was even needed.

5. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    As long as Person of Interest stays on the air, the networks can make all the bad TV they wish. That season finale... [face_hypnotized]

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    CALCULATING RESPONSE

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I should vote in the EU election soon but I have no idea whom. Doing tests in the Internet doesn't help much since I feel I don't know enough about the subjects to form sensible opinions so I leave the answers empty. That and the general individuality in the politicians gives me 6 different political parties in the top ten of "candidates who agree with me the most".

What if I just went and ruined a good election by voting some Miss X or sportsperson who smiles in the picture?

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Single best season finale I have ever seen.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Huh, I haven't seen it yet but I've heard it's pretty good. In any case, I understand you with the tonal problem thing; I think the first one had a similar problem but it wasn't too bad in that one. But there were times where the humor felt forced or where the tone shifted to brooding way too fast after a pretty funny scene. But overall I loved the first one and I'm looking forward to the second.

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    You've seen Spiderman 3 right? That alone justifies a reboot. And actually did- Sony was having so much trouble trying to get Spiderman 4 off the ground after 3 came out that they risked losing the license back to Marvel, so they decided a reboot would be faster, easier, and let them put out a movie soon enough to let them keep the Spiderman franchise.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Spider-Man 3 wasn't terrible (to me). The scenes were he was acting like a jerk in the jazz club or whatever were plain awful, and the guy who played Venom made me want to throw something at the screen, but everything else I enjoyed, personally.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I must be one of the few people on the planet who actually liked Spider-Man 3, I am well aware of those production issues.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That's correct.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I think the biggest problem making spiderman 4 was that they were running out of ways to make MJ a helpless damsel in distress.

CooperTFN and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This whole thing about making endless Spider-Man (wow, talk about a nerdy autocorrect... and one I had nothing to do with for once) films to preserve their legal rights is pretty silly.

They should just give it up and save the money.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 and Zeta1127 like this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The MCU should just cast Jessica Drew and make Spider-Woman as big of a deal.

Cynical_Ben and CooperTFN like this.
  17. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Except Spider Man is a big name, and does make Sony a lot of money. Losing the rights would hurt them.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I completely don't mind numerous Spider-movies, I just want them to be willing to let Peter go for a while. It's funny that the MCU has been so successful at strip-mining the Ultimate universe, but Sony refuses to utilize Miles Morales. And by funny I mean annoying.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    And, let's be honest, the MCU's lack of Spider-Man, while tragic, is not nearly so tragic as its lack of DOOM.

It was good, but it was no Becoming Part 2.

MAN I STILL TEAR UP JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.

20. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Miles Morales for the next Spider-Man reboot....hmmm any ideas ?

[​IMG]

Out of the Raimi films I only liked the first one and I haven't cared for the Garfield films. I think the Spectacular series is probably the best depiction of the character(aside of the Ultimate comics). But that Avi Arad, I want him away from Marvel movies.....period.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=99426

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    As much as I would like to spend the upcoming weekend seeing movies, it will be spent trapped in After Effects, just like last weekend.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thinking about waiting on the Blu-Ray for that one.

I still haven't seen Winter Soldier so I guess it's the Blu-Ray for it as well.

23. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    This one has a lot of the same problems the first one did, which are only exacerbated by the fact that everything in this one follows the "sequels have to be bigger" trope. The worst bit is when Electro and Spidey are going at it at (one of) the end(s) of the movie and Electro's attack consists of jumping from pylon to pylon in OsCorp's power plant like a pinball, each jump playing a note of "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" in dubstep. Spidey's reaction: "I hate this song! :("

Nothing in this one is quite as bad as the whole dancing thing in 3, but at the same time, nothing's quite as good as the scene where Peter rips the symbiote off his body in the church bell tower or Sandman rising out of the pit with his daughter's locket in his hand. Spider-Man 3 was more mercurial, this one is a lot more cliche and cookie-cutter. It reminds me a lot of Batman Forever, a very studio-safe movie that's engineered to make money and appeal to the widest audience possible, kids and adults alike.

Kylun and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    So there's like a brush fire about a mile from my house, but since I've been so half-assed with my posting lately I'm going to make up for it by posting here while that's going on!

Matt Skywalker, Revanfan1 and TrakNar like this.
  25. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    What started it? Semi-professional interest :D

Anyone been watching Fargo on FX?

It's a slow burning show, but a great one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.