main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007

I have to be honest. I was a chicken at riding roller coasters...until the age of 12. That's when I rode The Beast at Kings Island, Cincinnati, OH. Still the longest coaster in the world. And the baddest! The Beast cured me of my fear and I have been riding all kinds of coasters since. The best time to ride is at night. Because it winds into the woods, you can't tell where you're going! It's celebrating it's 35th year as it opened in 1979. And it's still going strong!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Trust me, I know all about The Beast. This is my fifth straight year with a Kings Island season pass. :D One minor correction: it is still the longest wooden coaster in the world and the longest coaster of any kind in the U.S., but there are two steel coasters overseas that are longer. :)

I suppose after that I should ask another question, so here goes: Have you ridden Banshee yet, and if so, what is your opinion of it? I attended the announcement last year (sat in the fourth row of the pews), attended its Media Day last month, and also claimed a First Rider shirt on opening day. I think it's taken over the #1 spot in my coaster rankings, and it's amazing at night, though The Beast is still the better night ride. :p

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, this is Banshee, although no mere video can do the experience justice:

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite TV show growing up?

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Ah, roller coasters...I was the chicken until age 9, when I rode Space Mountain at Di$ney World...then I couldn't get enough of'em. Took me a while longer to get used to looping coasters, though...heh heh...

...of course this all begs the question: sitting coasters, or hanging coasters?

5. madman007

Aug 22, 2007

You do know I can't narrow them down to just one. I've had many.

When I was a little tyke, I was a huge fan of getting up at 7am on a Saturday and watch the Saturday Morning cartoons until at least 11pm. This was when cartoons were TRUE cartoons! Anything Hanna Barbara, Hong Kong Phooey, Scooby Doo, The Pink Panther, Bugs Bunny and the Roadrunner Show as well as live action shows. Anyone remember Dr Shrinker/Wonderbug from the Kroft Super Show? How about Monster Squad? Yes, I am dating myself.

Growing older I admit I was a fan of the Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, A Team, and I was one of a few who thought Blue Thunder could destroy Airwolf. (incidently, Blue Thunder starred a young Dana Carvey)

Then when I got into my teens, I started watching the coolest show on TV - Miami Vice! I even dressed up as Crockett for Halloween once (complete with candy cigarettes)

Now, I know you didn't ask, but I will indulge anyway. If you had asked me what my Favorite TV show of all time is, that would have been easier.

Into each generation, a Slayer is born. One girl in all the world, a choosen one. One born with the strength and skill to hunt the vampires...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer!

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Tell us about your relationship to music. Do you play anything (or sing)? What do you like to listen to? And why? :)

7. madman007

Aug 22, 2007

I've tried them all. I even remember going on the Space Mountain a day after a big storm. There was nobody there and we rode it back to back several times. I rode The Bat at Kings Island, which I believe was the first inverted coaster in the US at the time. It didn't last long. I could ride anything but prefer wooden coasters. Nothing can replace that sound of the chains clicking going up the lift hill!

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I assume you mean the original Bat that opened in 1981, not the Arrow suspended coaster that opened in 1993 as Top Gun and has gone through a couple of name changes, including a change to The Bat this year in homage to the original Bat. (Confused yet? :p)

And you missed my question about Banshee. :)

9. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Yes, I rode the original Bat in 1982. I caught it on a day when it wasn't shut down, which was often. I hadn't been to KI in a long while now. Let's just say the new diet program I'm on now will help me return. So, no I havn't seen or ridden the Banshee yet.

I have been into music listening for a while now. I did try to play the guitar. And I did sing in my HS choir. Music for me is more for listening and enjoying. I used to say that since I can't "see" music, I only hear it. It began in my teen years where I would load a blank cassette in and tape various songs from the radio. One of the first bands I got into was KISS at age 8. I went as Gene Simmons one Halloween with aluminum foil as my chains. Then I grew more into pop rock. That's when I got into Journey. The very first time I earned money from mowing grass in the neighborhood, I went out and bought the album Frontiers (which I still have to this day). As my interests grew over the years, my next band I was into was Genesis. As I delved into their discography, I discovered they got better and more interesting as I went back in their time. They introduced me to music that was much more interesting to listen to instrumentally than with lyrics.

I adopted a quote from David Byrne from the Talking Heads, "Singing is a trick to get people to listen to music for longer than they would ordinarily."

Then a college buddy of mine introduced me to the Grateful Dead. Music that had little lyrics and vast open spaces of improvisation. And my love of jam bands was formed. As taramidala and I shared, I also love the band Phish. A different sound than the Dead but the concept is the same. That also goes with Widespread Panic, moe., Disco Biscuits, Umphree's McGee, etc.

Now don't get me wrong. I still love all kinds of music. Jazz - Miles, Coltrane, and Pat Metheny. Techno - Moby and BT. Reggae - Bob Marley. Zydeco (New Orleans cajun music) - Buckwheat Zydeco. Classical - Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven.

I could go on, but there's not many genres of music that I don't enjoy. Rap may be one, as it's more about the beat and rythym than melody. Even then there's exceptions like The Beastie Boys and Eminem.

I tell people I like music from Amadeus to Zeppelin.

As far as why, I can't stand silence. I have to have some type of music on when I'm working, especially with writing, or excercising. Even now while I'm writing this, Phish is playing in the background. Sometimes I just keep my player on random all night while I sleep. To sum it up even more, I quote the Dead from Franklin's Tower - "If you get confused just listen to the music play."

Goodwood and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Do you have any tattoos?

11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    What is your go-to book when you need something awesome to read? :D

12. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    None.

Sometimes I will read Star Wars books again like the Thrawn series, or even the original trilogy books. My reading time is few and far between now days between working 2nd shift and taking care of my stroke-ridden mother. But the one book I keep going back to whenever I feel the need is WP Kinsella's Shoeless Joe. Movie-goers will recognize the movie it became called Field Of Dreams. It has everything from humor, baseball, drama, and mystery. Incidently, Field Of Dreams is my favorite movie of all time. Yes, even over Star Wars. You can have emotion with the quote, "No, I am your father.", but I dare any man to come away hearing "Dad...do you wanna have a catch?" and keeping a dry eye. If you can, you may find your soul in the lost and found.

Goodwood likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    That is one fine! movie. :D

Vacation spots: Best ever, and the place(s) you want to visit most. :)

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So given your reaction to that poignant moment of Field of Dreams, I hope you don't mind my asking whether you are a dad yourself? ;)

15. madman007

Aug 22, 2007

Not that I know of. [face_rofl] Joking , of course. I do know for a fact that I am not. My father connections to the movie are based on my natural father and my stepfather. My parents divorced when I was 8 and my dad wasn't around all the time anymore. Then my mom remarried and I lived with my stepfather and her. Both of my dads were into baseball. I played catch with both of them at various times. At first, when the movie came out in '89, that scene was more about my real father who wasn't around all the time. Then it became even more meaningful after my stepdad died of cancer in 2000.

Damn, I hate answering questions while cutting onions.

My real dad is alive and well, and when I see him or talk to him, we're always talking about baseball. (If you haven't figured out where I live, I am a Reds fan!)

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    madman007 -- :oops: You missed my question. I probably should've set it out better :p

Q. Where do you most want to go on vacation, and/or the coolest place you've been already?

17. madman007

Aug 22, 2007

I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about Dyersville, Iowa where the baseball field is where they filmed Field Of Dreams. Didn't see it as a question. It's still morning I-)

Thanks to my family, we've been to several places My first trip on an airplane was to Washington DC. Saw the Capital, Wash. monument, Smithsonian.

Other great vacation spots I've been to:
    Smokey Mountains, TN
    Myrtle Beach
    Gulf Shores, Ala
    St. Augustine, Fl
    New Orleans, La (say it right - Nawlins!)
    Houston and San Antonio, TX
    Niagra Falls, Canadian side, eh!
    DisneyWorld
    Williamsburg, VA

Where I'd like to go:
    Dyersville, Ia - Field Of Dreams ballfield
    London, England
    Grand Canyon

18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    If you could have any job in the Star Wars universe (bounty hunter, Jedi, fried lizard stand proprietor, etc.) without regard to what you do in the real world -- we'll assume that you get trained somehow -- what would you choose?

19. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    What question, if any, do you wish someone would ask you?

20. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    There's a good one. I'd have to say smuggler. But with a twist. Or difference. I wouldn't smuggle spice or any kind of drug. It would be smuggling medical supplies to a poor system that can't get them on their own. Or food stuffs, spare parts, maybe whole ships. Something that benefits the many rather than the few. I'd be kinda of a Star Wars "Robin Hood". During the Empire, this would be more dangerous. But even with the New Jedi Order, there are still laws that can be broken for the greater good. Who knows, maybe I'll be lucky and have a wookie for a co-pilot.

Glad you asked. Only have one more day. Where's all the writing questions? I can give advice or my own guidelines. Though I refuse to write about those "little happy trees". *counts on one hand who gets that reference*

Revanfan1 and Kahara like this.
  21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, then, a writing question it is: What do you do to get back into the writing groove after periods of writing block, distraction, or general lack of motivation? And would you recommend the same to other writers? :)

22. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    Guidelines? That sounds interesting. What are your guidelines for writing?

23. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    What's your writing process from inspiration to completion?

(Hi, Mr. Ross)

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What's the easiest/hardest aspect to write, e.g., action, introspection, etc.?

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think more people will get the reference than you think. ;)

Are you working on any original fiction?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.