main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Moments in the films that were retroactively improved by their successors

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 14, 2013.

1. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    "Wars make not one great!" --TESB

Are we now to think Yoda is merely acting the Fool, or is he denigrating his past life as Palpatine's "little green friend?"

Now there's a fellow who's paid the price for his lack of vision.

bstnsx704, Samnz, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  2. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Luke: "I won't fail you. I'm not afraid!"
    Yoda: "Oh...You will be. You...will be."

The most hair-raising passage from the OT, unquestionably. But Yoda's admonition wasn't provided its kicker until ROTS, when we were provided with the equally haunting image of Anakin on the Mustafar bridge, staring into Hell's horizon. Completely, irretrievably damned.

Now that is what awaited Luke. Something to fear, indeed.

3. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Star Wars 4 was generally improved by the rest of the Saga.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yup. Now whenever I watch that scene I realize how much the war and Order 66 destroyed Yoda. He no longer considers himself a great Jedi Master.

5. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Though most of his statements are paradoxically sinister, this one just oozes evil, and makes his comments in ROTJ about everything going according to his plan, even more diabolical.​

6. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    theres more but I'll pick two for now:

Leia- I know this has been discussed before but whenever I think of Leia, she's definitely Anakins daughter, the scene where she being rescued by Luke and Han, and decides to take the initiative only to end up in the compactor reminds me of how Anakin foolishly went after Dooku in AOTC. Plus they're both stubbon, rude and impatient people. I really hope they delve into their relationship and how she views her father in the ST.

Luke defying Sidious- probably the most important moment in the whole saga for me. When Luke unleashes his fury on his father, it really is a tense moment and of course gives more meaning from ROTS where Anakin kills Dooku, and Sidious's plan coming into fruition with the elimination of the Jedi and republic. And that smirk he gives when Anakin breaks down after hearing Padme's death, what a better way than to wipe the smirk of his arrogant face by being told to do one. It also highlights that no matter how far you've gone into darkness, it is never too late to turn back to the good person you are. That you should be willing to do the right thing, something Anakin couldn't do at first place. Lucas really hit the nail on the head when he said children teach you compassion and that you can really learn from them. This may be Anakin's story but the best moment of the entire saga definitely goes to the son.

Sarge, thejeditraitor and Barbecue17 like this.
  7. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    "Obi-Wan Kenobi? Obi-Wan. Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time." -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Now when I hear that line from ANH, I sort of visually imagine Alec's face, in that moment of introspection, transforming back into Ewan's appearance at the end of ROTS, which provides a nice bridge to recall all that has transpired Obi-Wan's journey.

Samnz, Darth Raiden and rdhight like this.
  8. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I really like Obi-Wan and Yoda's compliments toward Anakin. "And he was a good friend." "Powerful Jedi was he... powerful Jedi." They take on new meaning now that we've seen good Anakin in action.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    my favorite, especially because of the musical cue and the pt of course, is in rotj.

yoda- "luke...luke... do not underestimate the powers of the emperor.... or suffer your father's fate you will."

great thread btw.

Alienware and Darth Raiden like this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

i really hope we do see this. leia breaking out a force power would be equivalent to the yoda lightsaber moment.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Palpatine: the way he acts in the first and second movie become so much sinister when you know what will happen

Not enchanted by the later movies but by a re-watch: the way Padame acts and many of her comments in Episode 1 gets a whole new meaning when you know she is Amidala

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Chuckskyline

Chuckskyline Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    I gotta say, the Yoda Arc in the Clone Wars. The realization that they lost the Clone Wars because of the war and Jedi attacking and the amount of blood being spilled.

It just beefs up the whole story IMHO. That Anakin has already failed. That there will be another Hope to restore order in the Galaxy. That whole Arc gave me chills.

Darth Raiden and Pensivia like this.
  13. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    And on top of that: "Much anger in him. Like his father."

14. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    At the beginning of a New Hope we see the image of Darth Vader entering Tantive IV. This is Vader’s introduction to us, the viewer. Before the prequels existed, this introduction was chilling, all the stormtroopers stop what they are doing and pay their respects (out of fear?), he surveys the ship, he is determined and on a mission. If you watch Revenge of the Sith and pop in A New Hope, this scene takes a whole different meaning, here is Vader, still stuck in his suit, still crippled, still doing the emperor’s legwork. Before ROTS, that scene conjured up fear and power, not, to me, its conjures up sadness and its someone tragic.

Darth Raiden and Ananta Chetan like this.
  15. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Yeah the way that the beginning moments of ANH plays post-ROTS is quite brilliant. Popping through the smoke, you look at the protagonist you had just watched for three films, hoping to see some sort of regretful element to him, some inner conflict that will hint at his eventual redemption (a layer that won't truly be added until ROTJ). Instead, you see him walk coldly past rebel corpses, choke out Captain Antilles, and generally start acting like, well, a villain, and it dawns on you just how far gone Vader is, how cold those twenty years in darkness have made him. It's sad, but also chilling in a much more profound way than it was before.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Vader saving Luke at the end of ROTJ. We see how he's driven by a fear of loosinh loved ones and it's as if he's saving what's left of Padme.

17. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    "The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the Council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away."

[​IMG]

That's an awful lot of sweeping.