main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope that there is one main overt villain in the ST like Vader was in the OT. Maul, Dooku, Grievous and finally Palpatine was way too much. ​

Summers1913 and Dra--- like this.
  2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I don't want it, and I'm not worried it will happen. ANH opens with Vader's Star Destroyer already bombarding the heroes; the droids get the first scene, but he shows up and takes over just a couple minutes into it. ESB opens with the sending of the probe droids; it's brief and we quickly go to our heroes on Hoth, but with the knowledge that Vader is on the hunt. ROTJ opens with Vader's arrival on the Death Star 2. Any of those movies could have opened with a decoy scene where our heroes show their stuff against unimportant enemies, kind of like James Bond. Indeed, we do soon see some secondary enemies in all three movies: droids against Jawas, Luke/Han against the Wampa and the cold, and the Rebels vs Jabba. But those kind of villains most definitely do not get to be introduced before the Empire.

This is the kind of opening I expect we will get in VII. In the prequels, we do tend to start with a Jedi-on-a-mission bit and filter in the villain stuff at the last possible moment: Maul, Dooku, and Vader all appear just to fight in the final battles of the movies where they're introduced. But this is one area where I believe Abrams will hew more to the OT way of doing things. He's going to give a main villain center stage before any pirate or bounty hunter hijinks.

(*Yeah, I know we get some lines from Dooku and Maul before they fight, but nothing like Vader striding through that corpse-filled passageway and strangling a guy one-handed in his first appearance!)

3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Anyone notice Oscar Isaac's hair has the same sort of curliness as Boba Fett as a kid?

Fett rescued from the Sarlaac and kept in carbonite until the right time. That's what I'm sayin'!

DarthPinoy likes this.
  4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    How about he's just a new Mando? A real one; not a bounty hunter.

5. DarthPinoy

DarthPinoy Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2014

I totally expect to see this type of opening in the ST. From Abrams?! Definitely. He seems really fond of duplicating the opening to "Raiders of The Lost Arc" in the Trek movies. He definitely opened "Star Trek: Into Darkness" on that note. Kind of a disposable action sequence to start things off with a bang. This is a practice that I don't really like. At least in "Raiders" the opening action sequence sets up the main villain/antagonist in Belloq - even though nothing ever comes of Indy losing the idol again. Personally, these Raiders-inspired openings with Abrams are getting kind of old and annoying... They're too disposable. If the ST starts off like this, I at least hope it's more in the vain of the Star Wars movies, where the opening sequences do a lot of setting up of the plot points that will eventually pay-off - secondary villains/enemies or not.

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Colin Baker.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    BURN!!!

Immortiss and T-R- like this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Did a witch pass by?

T-R-, Immortiss and StoneRiver like this.
  9. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Boba Fett is a witch?

T-R- and Dra--- like this.
  10. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    We must weigh him.

T-R-, StoneRiver and Dra--- like this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I was talking about the main baddie storywise, not the guy in the highest position of the "evil organisation". There's a difference.
    Vader drives the plot in ways Palpatine doesn't.

rdhight likes this.
  12. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

JJ Abrams: I have another hard one for you. The hardest yet.

Casting Director: Nothing is going to be harder than getting Serkis for Jar Jar, I promise you.

Abrams: I hope you're right. (slides across a picture of TCW Boba) I need someone who can do this hair... (slides across a tape of Temuera Morrison) ...and this voice.

Casting Director (dully): Let me make some calls....

Revanfan1, jc1138 and T-R- like this.
  13. DarthPinoy

DarthPinoy Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2014
  14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think there is a distinction... Vader is certainly one of the most iconic charcters of the OT, if not the most iconic, and he's probably regarded (within popular culture) as one of the most iconic villains of all time... However, in terms of actual narrative from an individual film perspective, he's pretty much always answering to a higher antagonist... be it Tarkin or the Emperor.

Dra--- and EHT like this.
  15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Palpatine is the irredeemable problem whose demise represents resolution of the story. Who is the Palpatine of the ST? I believe that's the question of this thread. Of course there are some who would answer Palpatine himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dra--- and StoneRiver like this.
  16. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Immortiss likes this.
  17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Darth Nexus

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I've encounterd a Nexus in the Force.

Dra--- and T-R- like this.
  19. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    ...or maybe he's playing multiple nexus?

[​IMG]

Revanfan1, Mystery Roach and T-R- like this.
  20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  21. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    I think they already squashed the whole nexus thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dra--- likes this.
  22. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, seems odd.

23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    When we talk villains, we can discuss it on the plot side, or we can discuss it on the world side. Most fans talk about world instead of plot. You know, in universe rather than from a meta position where we talk about the structures and movements of plot. Antagonist and protagonist are technical terms. Villain (or baddie) is a better term for talking about things from an in world perspective.

So when many of us say that Palpatine has been the main villain of Star Wars, we're saying he's the one behind all the villainy -- behind the Empire, behind the fall of Anakin, the Jedi, the Republic. From an in story perspective, a world perspective, none of this bad stuff would have happened if Palpatine didn't exist.

But from a plot POV Vader was much more important in ANH and ESB. Tarkin was more important in ANH. In the PT, however, Palpatine becomes much more important to the plot, especially in ROTS.

Anyway, both aspects are interesting to discuss. But they are different. :)

24. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    They are interesting to discuss, but in a discussion about how the story might progress, the in world POV is hardly as important as the plot POV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.