main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    After watching Fire Walk with Me again, it strikes me that Lynch sort of took the mythology in a different direction than it was going in the second season with that ring and the garmonbozia. And the White Lodge itself kind of disappeared -- I don't think that Lynch is interested in that sort of thing, or he was definitely taking them in the "one and the same" direction that he put in the series finale.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Last second packing: the worst.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I know it well. Especially when done in the presence of a younger-than-kindergartner.

Where exactly will you be going, Jello?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Somewhere where facebook doesn't work :p

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Leave Jello alone, he's got writing to do.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You are a wicked, wicked, man.

Wait, I work for you, don't I? Oh crap... :p

--Adm. Nick

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Only Quest and myself remain unsullied.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Need to delete photos on my phone to make room for more photos. This causes me intrinsic pain. I know it's kind of absurd to have 2,600 photos on my phone, but deleting them is just so... sad.

I always knew you were a eunuch.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I know that feel, bro.

I know that feel.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

GrandAdmiralJello and TrakNar like this.
  11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Wee... context!

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I assume this trailer was attached with Godzilla, certainly looks interesting. I believe Kip Thorne was involved some way, which is cool. I do like the line "were not meant to save the world, were meant to leave it":)

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Bugs, eunuchs, either way. I won't judge.

Just about done packing now, and ready to head out. Just when I finished cleaning out some bags to throw stuff into them, I found something that I'd panicked several times over losing and had searched and searched and searched for it. Funny how you find things when you are absolutely not looking for them :p

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, I just got back from Godzilla. This pretty much sums up my feelings.

[​IMG]

I am such a drooling fanboy, I probably would have loved it regardless. But I was shocked to find out that the acting, writing and effects were all about on-par, i.e. fantastic. Bryan Cranston steals the show early on, but the King of Monsters rules the latter half of the running time, as is proper. The whole film is a stylistic call-back to not only the original 1954 Gojira, but also to monster movies of the bygone age, movies like Them! and Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, where the mysteries of what can exist in this world were still being explored, updated with modern production values, a great cast, writing that isn't dumbed down or techno-babble, and a massive effects budget that pays every cent of itself out on screen.

Terrific, fantastic movie. Everyone should go see it, even if you're not a Godzilla fan, it needs to be seen in theaters, IMAX if possible. The first time you see the big G in full, a slow pan from street level up his body to his head, just as he lets loose a roar, is worth the price of admission alone.

anguirus2003 and darthscott3457 like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A friend of mine said it was horrible, but she liked Great Gatsby so I'm not sure I trust her taste. :p

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Watch it and make your own opinion, I liked it but I don't know about you.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  18. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    It's not Transformers or Pacific Rim, it's not slam-bam action or in any way corny or played for fun. It's a straight-faced, serious drama/disaster film that just happens to star a giant monster as the disaster. It takes a long time to get wound up to the action scenes that are more than just people being squished, but it's so worth it.

darthscott3457 and Gamiel like this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I've said it before - no Jet Jaguar, no blackmyron.

20. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Wow. If I am not mistaken, that is the first realistic depiction of a black hole on film. That is very, very exciting.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  21. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Another thing I love about Godzilla: the director's attitude toward the potential franchise implications of the film and whether there'll be a sequel.
    Now if only the makers behind the Amazing Spider-Man films thought this way...

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    by http://m7781.deviantart.com/ for comicbookresources.com's the line it is drawn week #190
    this weeks theme...Comic Book Cover Homages!

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Certainly a few good movies to look forward to in the coming weeks, going to see Godzilla tomorrow and I already have my ticket for X-Men. Hoping for the end scene to be the original cast team together with the 90's cartoon music playing in the background. :D

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Once again: User name fail.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Cynical_Ben son I am disappoint

Gamiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.