main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Questions about the new boards? Read this thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Fortunately I tend to keep back ups of most of my stories, so it isn't a problem for me. When I had my first PC, I installed software on it and managed to wipe Windows from it (it was a problem with how the software went about making a file name for it) and I lost a lot of stuff, so ever since then, I've made back ups and sometimes even back ups of the back ups in case anything like that happened again. I'm surprised that people don't do it.

2. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Hi y'all,

I'm trying to get a grip on the new board and haven't found my old fics. Are we reposting? When I tried to copy and past a new fic, there were HUGE gaps between paragraphs. I didn't see this posted before...I did look, but I might have missed it.

thanks

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey Jade_Pilot!

If you use the (much better)search function found at the top right of the screen when you are in the story forums with the name of your fic (using "Posted by" with it works really well)you should be able to find it but old links to them won't work. They should be here (we're pretty sure we didn't lose anything), though most likely truncated at this time.
    We are allowing for some reposting (with a note that it's a repost), but would ask that if you do, you don't repost a bunch at once.

Regarding the copy paste issue, a few people are having this problem when doing so from Word, but I haven't seen as many problems with anything else. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for how to fix that other than manually or C/P into a richtext document such as word pad and c/p-ing from there.

Jade_Pilot likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I've been complaining about this over at Communications. The solution I was given was to cut and paste and then use the BB code editor. I tried that but then realized I don't know the codes. lol! What is weird is that sometimes I don't have the problem at all. I don't know if it has to do with the font or not. That is the only thing I can think of. I should do an experiment to see if this matters.

What is frustrating is sometimes I can't edit the story. I push edit and then try to make changes and it won't let me. It is frustrating and I am not the only person having this problem.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I have yet to have any problems copying and pasting directly from Word over in the RPF. Perhaps it depends on the browser? I use Firefox. Are those that are having problems using different browsers?

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    It happens with IE and Safari with me.

7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I have only had the copy/paste, not editing issue when I'm at work and am forced to use IE, I too have not had the problem with firefox.
    Jedi_Lover - I know it's not really a solution but BB is super easy. I got so used to doing it on the old boards because it was eaiser than doing the mark ups later, I learned to just type it in when I was writing. It became habit really quickly.

For most things its whatever you want to do incased in a bracket. Then to stop it, a backslash with whatever you are doing incased in a bracket.
    Example: [ b ] what I want bolded here [ /b ] (No spaces around the brackets) Use an "i" for italics.

8. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    how do i get the tags to work? I figured it out earlier and then forgot.

9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Are you talking about tagging an individual? If so, you do the @ and then their user name.

So jacen200015 tags you and send you an alert.

10. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    where is the Star Wars Fan Fiction? There is only the resource threads, classic fan fiction, and non star wars fan fiction. I don't see the Star Wars Fan fiction.

UPDATE: Cancel that

11. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    whoa, what happened to the story index? I was hoping to use the "the saga" index for a template for when the trungant posts are fixed.

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    They were only left until the prefixes were placed at the top (they were left so each of the era's had a tag that was at the top). They hadn't been used since 2006 which was long before the move/truncation issue.

13. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Hello!
    So I've been lurking for a LONGGGGG time, kinda hoping the stories would come back to their original word limit....anddddd, I'm just wondering if we have any updates on when that will be happening? Not trying to be pushy at all, but just curious :) These boards are awful snazzy, so I understand it taking a while to make them all shiny!

[face_good_luck] IJJ

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hello. There has been a significant update in the Admins' attempts to get the backed-up data from IGN in the past month, but there may be a hitch, so we are waiting and seeing what happens before we give any further details. When we know more, we will let you know.

15. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
  16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    There's a sticky thread in Comms dedicated to that issue: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/truncated-posts.50003169/

tl;dr: JCF admins don't have access to the missing data, only IGN does. There have been some recent developments in getting the data, but I don't know when it will be fixed.

EDIT: Got beat twice. :p

17. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Wow, everything is. Different. Haven't been here in a long, long time. GWG was locked down and all my old comrades are gone. Or are they? Bummer about the truncated posts/stories. Was feeling nostalgic. Exeter? Bale? ZEGO? Those were the days...

18. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    I'm not sure where else to ask this - is the TFN Fan Fic archive no longer being updated?

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    No, I don't know much about the archive because it was dead before my time, but the people who did it are no-longer around and we never had anything to do with it.

20. furrylittlebantha

furrylittlebantha Jedi Master star 3

Dec 2, 2005
    As a PSA on the truncated posts:

Not sure if others have already figured this out, but in case not, some limited success on recovery may be had with the Internet Wayback Machine (as noted in the Comms sticky). The trick I found is the Prolific Fan Fiction Writer's Index thread in Resource. If you posted stories there, some (probably not all) may be accessible via the archive. It has worked in scattershot fashion for me - not on all links, and I did not post all of my stories in the Index (got lazy in later years).

This may also be a good way to collect some of the really classic epics and oneshots from the old days - the awesome OCs by folks like Face and Luton_Plunder and beautiful AUs by Jedi_Nemesis and Knight_Aragorn and obaona and so forth. The loss of general availability of the board history at large is very much a diminishing of the richness of the fandom - wish I had appreciated/backed up my favorites when I had a chance!

DaenaBenjen42 and pronker like this.
  21. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Yeah, the wayback machine doesn't archive everything. What's frustrating is when it archives only parts of a story. Some time back I was hunting for the brilliant (and now tragically missing/mutilated) Dooku redemption fic A Little Prickly by Persephone_Kore . I found the old url, put it into the wayback machine and happily devoured the first chapters in full...only to realise that the links to subsequent pages of the story thread had been archived post-truncation =((

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.