main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

BLACK SCIENCE and DEADLY class have both been great. I have a slight issue with Remender in that I feel like a lot of his old punk roots show through in his characters, and there's often an overly cynical and harsh tone to a lot of his stuff, but he's still a fine writer. Uncanny X-force was pretty great and he manages to get the big plot stuff in with the character elements, something Hickman doesn't always get.

I can't disagree more with Jedi Ben on Hawkeye, especially since just when I thought the Kate Bishop story was just a side-project he suddenly pulls it all together flawlessly.

I'm behind on Captain Marvel, but Kelly Sue has been doing an awesome job on Pretty Deadly and Ghost, so I wouldn't mind seeing her tackle something in the SW realm if she felt like it.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hawkeye is enjoyable enough but it's simply not the title it got so immensely hyped up to be! (Not sure any book could ever be that.)

I enjoyed it enough to get the OHC - for Aja's art - and I'll likely get the second and final OHC too.

If I was to rank UXF and Hawkeye, Hawkeye would be above UXF!

As to Remender, Fear Agent only really hit the stratosphere when I read it as one single piece - and then it was superb, so I'm wary of reading his work in stages due to that. Unfortunately UXF was no Fear Agent.

Yay, bring all your comic sacred cows unto - I have a flamethrower! :)

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Much as I like UXF and (to a lesser extent) UA and Captain America, nothing Remender's written has crossed the line with me into prompting a read of his original stuff. Same with Jason Aaron, really, though I do want to give Scalped a shot at some point.

[​IMG]

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not read Scalped? Ok, a guy's going to pay you a visit Coop. Do what he says, hmm?

[​IMG]

CooperTFN likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I've been sitting here trying to think of what creator-owned stuff I've crossed over into recently, and I think Manhattan Projects is basically it. Everything else is people like Kirkman and Vaughan who haven't touched the Big Two in years.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If either of you haven't read Hickman's Nightly News or Pax Romana, you ought to. I'd say Pax Romana is the better of the two and I'd love him to do a follow-up. Both are superb stuff.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Don't get me wrongo, I've read most of Hickman's stuff; I just meant that MP is the only thing I'm currently buying. I've technically started East of West as well, but I'm tradewaiting on it because pretty.

Oh, and: nothing Hickman's written is better than Nightly News.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, I'd agree exceedingly few things beat Nightly News, but Pax Romana does - it is glorious!

One recommendation for you on the SF front: Elephantmen.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    People, people. Out of the two big comic companies, Warren Ellis still does occasionally write big time mainstream books for Marvel. Basically, I want Warren Ellis on Star Wars. With Spider Jerusalem documenting the history of the galaxy from the Ewok party to the very first frame of Episode 7.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  10. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

You need to read SCALPED. Seriously.

It's one of the best crime stories I've read in ages, and that's ANY medium, not just comics. Seriously, it really is just that good and makes me want him to stop doing superheroes and go back to crime comics.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    AND Vertigo are issuing Scalped in deluxe hardbacks next year! Coop has no excuse!

Oh and you must know of this Patch?

[​IMG]

12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Considering all the stuff that Ellis has done that are homages to 1930s-50s space opera pulps, I'd think he'd jump at the chance to do something with Star Wars in the tone of the Daley trilogy or Legacy Vol. II.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends which Ellis you get:

The Ellis that follows through on his ideas brilliantly producing work like Planetary?

Or the Ellis that does a few issues, gets bored and buggers off?

Gamiel likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Nextwave Ellis was genius and it was only 12 issues for Marvel but I'd rank that with some of the best stuff he's done!

Thunderbolts Ellis was only 6 issues but he basically reformatted the character of Norman Osborn into the lovable headcase (even moreso!) that we all know now with "Smells like death, blondes, and victory."

I just want some Ellis Star Wars and honestly let him do whatever the hell he wants and everyone will work around him. The new post ROTJ EU will have been shaped by Warren Ellis instead of Kevin J. Anderson! That, I like.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    6 issues Al? Nah, Ellis-Deodato did 12 issues on Thunderbolts. And yeah, Nextwave's great.

16. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Star Wars #108: Jaxxon's Time Warping Gun

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ah, hardcovers.....my one weakness.

[​IMG]

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel Star Wars will go to hardcover and then trade so better get used to it, folks! Cuz if you want a trade it's, like, almost a year after the final single issue hits. (HC's are out, generally, like, 2 months afterwards)

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Darth Marvel: At last we will reveal ourselves to Dark Horse comic. At last we will have revenge.

DelRiego and darklordoftech like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So two Ongoings? I'm guessing one Rebels-era-ish and one ST-ish.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Very belated reply but...

Ellis once said that he doesn't understand why anyone over the age of ten would be interested in Star Wars. :p So I wouldn't hold my breath about that. Perhaps if he was also given that "repurpose and remodel" job that Marvel sometimes gives him...

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Luke Skywalker, re-imagined, Ellis-style:

[​IMG]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  25. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

So, Rebels: The Comic and Star Wood II