main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Cool, thanks.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This is more of an opinion/speculation thing than anything, but

What would Palpatine have done if Anakin had spared Dooku and the Republiic held him as prisoner?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Accident probably.

4. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    Why exactly did Hugh Quarshie refuse to be in any of the PT after Phantom Menace? I remember ages ago hearing something like he was dissatisfied with the working conditions or something. Am I remembering this right? Anyone have anymore details on his decision?

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I heard it was a money issue.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Jon: I think had Dooku been spared, Sids would've likely killed them both. He's a snake but he's not a coward.

7. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013
    Hello, why did Dooku erase Kamino from the Jedi Archives? Why did it matter when the Republic discovered the clones? Also, why did Palpatine need the Separatists and the Republic to be at war for his plan? Couldn't he have just had the seperatists killed at the end of Episode III anyway as well as execute order 66 regardless of whether or not they were at war?​
    Quote for reference concerning what I said about Palpatine wanting the galaxy to be at war for his plan:

Count Dooku: I have good news for you, my lord. War has begun.
    Darth Sidious: Excellent. Everything is going as planned.

8. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Dooku erased Kamino from the archives to prevent the Jedi from discovering the army until the time was ripe.

Eliminating the Jedi wasn't Palpatine's sole goal for the Clone Wars. He had to make sure that the Republic became more and more militarized, that he had more power directly in his hands in order to make the transition from Republic to Empire smoother. That's why the Clone Wars lasted as long as they did, and why Palpatine deliberately prolonged the war.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    I'm confused. What do you mean by "until the time was ripe"?

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Until it was time to be found I guess.

11. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Until the clones were ready to be deployed and the Separatists were ready for war.

12. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. What would happen if the Republic found the clones before they were ready to be deployed and before the Seperatists were ready for war? Wouldn't everything just turn out the same in terms of Palpatine getting what he wanted?

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Not at all. The purpose of the Clone Wars was to bring the Republic's military more firmly under Palpatine's control, as well as discrediting and eliminating the Jedi. In order to have the war that Palpatine wanted, there needed to be a credible threat for the Republic to fight against. Enter Dooku and the Separatists.

If the Jedi had found the clones too early, they would naturally wonder why this army was being raised in secret when there was no imminent conflict. However, by waiting to reveal the army until the right moment, the Jedi would have no choice but to accept these new resources to help fight against the Separatists.

14. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    What happened with the Red Letter Media thread? Why was it locked? Is it OK to post about those reviews or is that a forbidden topic because it's so divisive?

Genuinely interested because there was something I wanted to post about them but I wanted to know the score first.

15. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    Okay, i know it sounds like I'm exhausting this conversation, and I'm only asking this because I have little imagination and get confused with complex plots like this, but what would have happened if say the Republic had a clone army, but wasn't at war with the Seperatists? Couldn't Palpatine have still then executed order 66 and also kill the Seperatists at the end of Rots? Wouldn't that still give him what he wanted?

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The issue with that would be - why are the Jedi in front of the guns of every clone?

The war was necessary to justify putting the Jedi in command of the clones (so, right in front of them when Order 66 came down).

17. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    Maybe, but that seems like a bit too small of a reason, or somehow a little ridiculous, are you sure there isn't some larger reason?

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    There's a more complex reason:

Towards the war's end, due to Palpatine's propaganda machine, the Jedi were made out to be the villains in the public eye. To the average citizen, it seemed like the Jedi were the ones prolonging the war in their preparation to take over the Senate and install a theocracy based on the Force. And so by making the Jedi seem like the bad guys, the general public didn't bat an eye when Order 66 came down, and the Senators applauded Palpatine's new direction for the Republic when he declared himself Emperor.

The main problem for Palpatine was how to eliminate the Jedi. There were approximately 9000 Jedi in the galaxy at the war's start, too many for Palpatine to kill himself. And so he manipulated events to start a galaxy-spanning war that the Jedi would have no choice but to be involved in. Attrition would kill some, sure, but Order 66 would help take care of the rest.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    To quote the RotS novel:

The Clone Wars were the perfect Jedi trap.
    By fighting at all, the Jedi lost.
    With the Jedi Order overextended, spread thin across the galaxy, each Jedi is alone, surrounded only by whatever clone troops he, she, or it commands. War itself pours darkness into the Force, deepening the cloud that limits Jedi perception. And the clones have no malice, no hatred, not the slightest ill intent that might give warning. They are only following orders.
    In this case, Order Sixty-Six.
    Hold-out blasters appear in clone hands. ARC-170s drop back onto the tails of Jedi starfighters. AT-STs swivel their guns. Turrets on hovertanks swung silently.
    Clones open fire, and Jedi die.
    All across the galaxy. All at once.
    Jedi die.

20. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks for all the help so far. I can't really make much of this quote from Palpatine:

Palpatine: The war is over. (applause) The Separatists have been defeated, (applause) and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled.

Did the general public know that the Jedi had been killed or just "taken care of"? Also is there any indication throughout either episode II or III that Palpatine was making it seem like the Jedi were the ones prolonging the war?

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    It's in the ROTS novelization I believe.

22. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    So I didn't really get into spoiling myself until ep3. For that movie I learned as much as I could. Including reading the comic books that were 100% accurate to the movie prior to the movie releasing. Was that normal for the prequels? Did they do that for ep1 and ep2 as well? What are the chances we see that with ep7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Does anybody know what the final trial Yoda faced on Moriband from the priestesses was?

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  25. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    Does anybody else have any idea where there might be some indication that Palpatine was using propaganda to make it seem like the Jedi were prolonging the Clone Wars in the movies?