main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Have you ever tried your hand at oil painting? ;) :p

But in seriousness, what are your ideal writing conditions? Do you play music, wear a pair of lucky socks, or keep a favourite snack or beverage on hand? :)

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    I'm sure if you did write about a friendly little tree, you would give it friends so it isn't lonely... ;)

You mentioned your go to book. Do you have a favorite author and how does this person influence your own writing?

3. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Favorite fanfic of all time?

4. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Wow, talk about getting what you wished for. I'll take these questions in small doses.

And awaaaaay we goooo!

Pretty much the same answer for all three instances: don't hurry. In writing there is no time limit, unless you have a deadline, of course. For the most part, don't feel rushed into getting the story or a certain chapter finished. If you're blocked, get away from it for a few hours or even days. Distracted? Try to find another time when you wont be, even if it is for an hour or so. The idea of writing is to simply just keep writing. But choose your own pace and don't get frustrated if ideas don't come at you at once. They will come. You just have to let them.

Motivation is another animal. When I first got on here in 2007, I would get so frustrated at posting a story I wrote and have no comments or feedback. At some point after my lastest epic had all of 4 fans following it, I had to ask myself, why am I writing these? And the answer always comes to telling stories. Whether it's based in a galaxy already established or made up all your own, they are all stories. If you're writing fanfic just to get the most replies or reviews, then you're missing the point of writing. I found the quote that is sorta my writing mantra now. Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

These are my ways to help get back "into the writing groove" as Findswoman put it. These may work for you. Or they may not. That's why I can't recommend the same. I can only give them as suggestions. Use them at your own discretion.

I don't have many rules when I write. The only guidelines I keep to are adopted from Elmore Leonard.
    Keep the dialogue true and simple.
    Don't write extra long descriptions or long passages of expostion. (those are the parts people usually skip.)
    When using verbs to induce speaking, never use anything but "said" (e.g. He said, instead of He mumbled)
    Avoid adverbs and the dreaded -ly words like calmly, irrevocably, bravely
    If you're not sure how to spell a word, LOOK IT UP!
    And another that I adopted from Stephen King: throw away the Thesaurus. Use your own words.

Thanks for knowing the reference, btw.

When I start a long story, ispiration can come from anywhere. I've taken plot lines from TV shows and implanted them into Star Wars. I begin with an outline. Not detailed. Just simple lines to move the action and what happens and what is said. I don't always do an outline for the entire story, depending on it's length. I then bring out my blank notebook, usually those 3-5 subject ones. College ruled. I write small so I tend to avoid wide-ruled. Then I get a black gel pen. The thinner the better. I do write my stories first. Literally in shorthand. I write the basic structure so that when I transcribe it to Word, I make revisions along the way. Once it's all on the computer, I read it all the way through again for more revisions. Then it's post time!

I've never had a problem with action. Some have said my action and great dialogue are a rare perfect combination. I've written many lightsaber duels in my stories. Yet, I haven't got the grasp of a great space battle. I also find it hard to make that balance between storytelling and introspection. I tell events how they occur within my mind. I try to decribe it the best way I can. And I hope people can understand it. I think that's the hardest part. The easiest for me is dialogue. I write dialogue how people speak. And if they pause for reflection, I include that. I use different speech patterns for different people. For example, Luke would never say, "You betcha, kid." the way Han would. Luke is more formal.

I have written a novel-sized story that first began when I was in high school. I reinvented it in the late 90's, setting it outside of high school. It is about a modern day witch, er sorceress, as she would correct you, facing her greatest challenge over her mystery: falling in love. I hate to say it's "Twilight" with witches, because it's so much more and much MUCH more mature. It's called Secret Spell and the current version is on my Fiction.press site. https://www.fictionpress.com/s/1585822/1/Secret-Spell I have several revisions to go over it, including separating it into smaller chapters.

There's some other originals of mine on that site. A baseball story. And a new one I've been working on set in the future where teachers are given high financial contracts like ball players are now. They deserve it!

It's getting late/early. I'll answer the others later today.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite snack/munchie or dessert?

6. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    I actually have a minor in painting, so I have painted in oils. Ah, the smell of linseed oil. Yet, I prefer painting with acrylics. Easier to manipulate and clean.

My ideal writing condition is to write somewhere isolated like an outside park or library if the weather doesn't permit the park. Always with my headphones. No special piece of clothing to write in (like Michael Douglas' pink ladies robe in Wonder Boys. Excellent movie!) Sometimes I may have a snack at my computer desk perhaps with an adult beverage nearby, especially if I'm almost finished with a story.

Favorite author will always be Stephen King. Christine was the first mature and adult novel I ever read at age 12. His influence can be spotted all over my stories. I hold his book On Writing with me like a Bible. Shameless Plug I recommend it for writers highly.

Oooh, there's several I can choose. Big fan of The Table Was Crowded by daenabenjen42. And pretty much anything written by VaderLVR64. When I first got on here, I read one of hers where Anakin did not die on the Death Star and Luke hid him from the Rebels. As Anakin recovered, he met with Leia and expressed his regret. He even met with Han. Wish someone could tell me the title. It seemed like a typical fan fic AU, but in VaderLVR64's hands, it became so poignant.

Trying to cut back on both now. Love popcorn, especially at the movies. With butter grease. Not big on sweets too much, but I can say I have no willpower to resist cheescake.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  7. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    Can you read your own stories for pleasure? Or are you ever The Anxious Author and unable to look at your published writings without tearing hair?

8. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    No, I can read my own stories as a fan as well as the author. The problem I have is that I don't tear my hair out. I have to resist doing more revisions. As any author can tell you, your works are never completed fully.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hoping these will count as related enough questions:

1. I've heard you mention the birds called "black tit" now and again; what are those birds called in your mother tongue? (Can't remember if that's German or Dutch or something different—sorry! *blush*)

2. Are you a bird watcher/bird enthusiast/ornithologist yourself? (Given the "bird" in your username.)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I like birds very much but the earlybird in my name is a nickname given by my brother after a trip to Florida where we visited an 'earlybird' dinner. My name is Erna and he being funny said erniebird and made it in earlybird

The birds are Mezen in my mothers tongue (Dutch)
    They look like this
    [​IMG]

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Hi!

Oh, I have a ton of writing questions aLOL but the art one comes first.

Did you take formal painting classes, or were you self-taught, and do you like oils or water-colors best?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I am a self-taught artist. Oils are for the detailed and colors the best for me. I do quick watercolours to illustrate my fanfics

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Do you work outside the home?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What was your first exposure to SW, movies, books/EU, and fanfiction?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I work inside for my paintings
    My first exposure to SW was when I was leading a woodcrafting club for children and ROTJ was in the theatres. All the kids wanted to make the Millenium Falcon and X-wings. I searched for pictures of those in toy-leaflets and got working with the kids to make them. The three books about the movies came later when I spotted them in a second hand store. More books (Zahn) followed. Going to see the movies was when they appeared on TV and after a visit to Tunesia and seeing the locations where they filmed ANH and AOTC I got interested in the Phantom Menace. I got that one when the DVD came. Fanfiction came much later in 2006 when I could get internet in my village.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Who is your favorite author and how does he/she influence your writing?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I have more favorite authors. One is Michael Stackpole and another is Jude Watson.
    From fanfic my favorite is Valairy Scott. She has influenced my writing the most.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How do you develop your OCs and their rich cultures and personal histories? :D

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Reading a lot and keeping tag of my OC's in a very detailed Excel spreadsheet (timeline and characters) I developed the Sheir-Irel and their descendants, the Dunai elder, the Ceitans and Varankonin to be long lived characters to be able to have them meeting a lot of canon characters. And I draw and paint them of course and have them involved in real-life based events

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Tell us about the workspace where you create your stories and art. Do you have your own study/studio type of room at home? What do you like to have around you while you work?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How do you break out of/prevent writer's block?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I own a house and one of the rooms on the first floor is my computer-room where the writing is done
    Painting and drawing is done at the table in the living room. I love to listen to all kinds of music during the creation of art and fanfics
    Writers-block, never experienced that in a very serious way but sometimes when I need a plot I go writing at one of my ongoing diaries. Or just going or coming from my work I think about plots.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    What do you do for work, and do you enjoy your job?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How did you meet the amazingly talented AzureAngel2? ;) @};-

AzureAngel2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.