main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How do lightsabers get activated?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBZGTKOSDH, May 16, 2014.

1. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    Do know how?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Just press the button...?

3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    First they have to set up an account, complete with color and email and Light side or Dark side preference. Then they have to wait for a confirmation email. Then they click the link and they are activated.

4. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Could the button be be pressed by the force? If so could a lightsaber be activated and used via telekinesis?
    Which would be interesting to see on screen.

5. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    Do they have one? Wouldn't there be accidents like "****, I accidentally turned it on/off!"?

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They do.

That's why there is a button to press.

I don't see why not.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU some Jedi have an activation system for the saber that requires the Force (so a non-sensitive can't use the saber).

Maybe the button's on the inside rather than the outside in this case.

8. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm just curious how the mechanism that deactivates the blade once the hilt leaves the user's hand works. :p

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    All Lightsabers have an activation button.

[​IMG]

See the rectangle box on the sides? That's the activation button during the OT era.

[​IMG]

See the red buttons? That's the PT era activation button.

There's a locking switch or some such that keeps the blade on, but shuts off once it hits the floor. Such as when Vader tosses his saber at Luke in the throne room, versus it just shutting down when dropped such as Qui-gon's saber when he's run through.

rdhight likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You press a big red button, very noticeable and really handy

11. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Those rectangle boxes look like flashlight magnets for metal surfaces.

12. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Even if we had the slightest doubt that there was an external button, we know there's one on Luke's sabre, otherwise Han wouldn't have been able to activate it in ESB.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If you look real closely, especially in ROTJ, you can see Hamill move his hand when he's supposed to close down his saber, before tossing it away.

14. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    In the first picture on the right - that's Anakin Skywalker's AOTC lightsaber. Actually, technically speaking, all three on the right are Anakin's lightsabers :p So, not exclusive to the OT.

15. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I wanna know how Vader slowly activated his blade in Empire. Tell me that move wasn't pimp!

Hernalt likes this.
  16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Probably an effects error that was cool enough to not alter.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan slowly activates his blade in ANH when he first sees Vader aboard the Death Star, as well.

18. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That seemed largely for dramatic effect to me. It really re-enforced that it's an important de-activation, he is kind of sighing as he does it. Just saying.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    ILM was still working out the kinks when it came to Lightsaber blades. Most of the time in ANH and TESB, the blades extend and retract off screen. It was really a trial and error process. For ROTJ, the process was more refined hence seeing it on screen more often. By the time the PT rolled around, they had it completely down to a science and thus it showed.

20. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Ingram_I, I read somewhere that Jedi and Sith can activate their Lightsaber's using the Force and thus this could be why there is delay or slow activation. It was once believed, thought it might be refuted now, that a lightsaber only stays activated if a Jedi or Sith concentrates with the Force on their Saber. The moment there is a break from the connection with the Force the liightsaber deactivates.

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    A standard lightsaber has a pressure sensor in the handle, so that the blade will automatically shut off if the handle is released. There is an override switch to keep the blade locked on, such as when Vader hurls his lightsaber at Luke.
    In the EU, Corran Horn's lightsaber has an additional safety feature: he needs to press the button twice in order to shut off the blade, to ensure that he doesn't accidentally do so during combat.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The only time that was ever true was in "The Crystal Star" when Hethir uses the Force to ignite and close down his Lightsaber. All the other Jedi and Sith rely on an activation button.

timmoishere and rumsmuggler like this.
  23. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I have always been aware of the button (the basic to advanced FX Lightsabers have them). I was merely sharing another possibility that I remember reading in the early days, before The Clone Wars.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I know. I was pointing out that it came from one EU story, but it was only in that story. The rest of the time, it was the button.

25. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    by pressing a button, simple as that really