main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rank The Indiana Jones Saga

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    This is a tough one for me, but I would have to say that Raiders & Temple of Doom are almost exactly tied for me in terms of my personal enjoyment of them. Raiders would only inch ahead in my rankings because I think it's better film overall. But I love and enjoy them both equally! Then comes Last Crusade. And there's definitely a significant drop-off with that one for me. I can't figure out why (since I love Sean Connery, I like the "Young Indy" sequence, etc.), but for some reason, it just doesn't hold up in my memory nearly as well as the first two.

And then even further away, at the very bottom, would be Crystal Skull. I suppose I could try to watch it again, but my two viewings of it in theaters when it came out did not leave me with good feelings. I did not enjoy Shia LaBeouf at all, I hated how Marion's character was depicted, and I cringed at the UFO sequence. As much I adore Harrison as Indy, I think they should've stopped after three. And it wasn't Harrison's age that was the problem for me--I thought he looked great in Crystal Skull, all his action elements seemed believable, and I did enjoy the little jokes and references in the film to the fact that he was older. But overall, something about the whole movie just didn't sit well with me.

2. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    For me:

Temple of Doom: 9.5/10
    Raiders of the Lost Ark 9/10
    The Last Crusade 9/10
    The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 7/10

I will dispute anyone that says that any of these films are bad. I chose the Temple of Doom as my favorite simply because its dark humor is more fitting to my own, thus making the jokes more appealing to me. Does anyone else find it hilarious that this film about a Kali cult (in which people get their hearts pulled out and children get abducted), opens with a DANCE NUMBER to ANYTHING GOES. Not only that, but that it's in Mandarin. Absolutely hilarious each time I see it.

To me, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the classic story of Indiana Jones. It's the one that everyone simply has to see. If someone has never seen Star Wars, we don't tell them to watch The Empire Strikes Back first simply because we think it's the best. We tell them to watch the original because it's the classic that started it all. Marion Ravenwood makes the film for me. Although she does sort of become a damsel, her strength as that damsel makes for a very well-rounded character. She reminds me of Princess Leia, although I would argue that Karen Allen is a better actress than Carrie Fisher (at least comparing the first films of their respective franchises).

The Last Crusade, to me, is the film that sticks out from the other three in the terms of story. In a way, it breaks the Indy formula. But that's part of what makes it so good. Sean Connery as Dr. Jones is an absolutely amazing character. Very well acted. Indiana is setting out to achieve his greatest feat: finding the Holy Grail. I also find it very touching that he sacrifices the Grail to save another. I question whether old Indy would have done that. To me, this film ends a character arc of sorts.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull does a lot of interesting things. I like that the in-movie timespan between Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is consistent with the timespan between their respective releases. It invokes lots of nostalgia, even though the film really is only 7 years old. It's not a perfect movie by any means, but it's definitely not deserving of its reputation.

3. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014

Same. While I like some better than others I find all are entertaining and good in their own way.

4. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Saw Temple of Doom on the big screen last night!

What a revelation. The film holds together much better in its original format. The humor is less jarring & the intensity and dread are amped up considerably. Every single shot of Indy is iconic. Spielberg's style was so exciting and eye-popping. The mine cart chase looks as good as anything done in VFX today - better, really.

Of course, I asked if they'd show the next two films (they've already shown Raiders, which was also amazing on the big screen) and the host took a pot-shot at KotCS - har har har. I'd love to see it on the big screen again.

But a great experience. They should just rerelease the films every few years so people can see them as they were meant to be seen - ditto SW, Willow & others from the Lucasfilm archive.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  5. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    How awesome. I wish I could see the original three in theaters.

EternalHero likes this.
  6. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I also forgot to say I definitely agree the films should all get a re-release every few years. It's a shame they're not taking advantage of the TOD and TLC anniversaries to re-release the saga for a new generation.

EternalHero likes this.
  7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The 3 originals were shown in cinemas here in the UK just before Xmas last year. I never saw the first 2 on the big screen back in the day. What was cool was they showed the uncut version of TOD with the hand piercing the chest scene added.

8. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm pretty sure here in the U.S. the heart rip was never edited.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Pretty sure the terrestrial TV version of Doom has the heart rip editted here in the UK.

10. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    1) Raiders. Shot for shot, brilliant. It ushered in a new era of action movies that recalled the past but pushed it into modern sensibilities. The scene with the "motorcade" still owns. Is there a more triumphant build-up and moment in cinema history than when Indy uses the whip to go under the truck, pull himself back up and toss that dude through the window? And the music was meant for that scene in my opinion. The ending was awesome but THAT scene sticks out to me as the defining action sequence.
    2) Last Crusade. I admit, this one as a more moderate tempo and is a little smaltzy at times, but it is done with great care and recalls the expansiveness of the first.
    3) Temple of Doom. While I was a little disappointed when it first came out, I now look at it as the most "Saturday Matinee" of all three. The title, the tight focus and campiness are fun. The only thing I never cared for was the ending, with the rope bridge. Not a very original sequence. Nothing poignant for me there.
    4) I wanted to like Crystal Skull and truth be told, completely understood Lucas's impulse to use an alien theme as that was the big thing in the 1950s and Indy is, in essence, a dime store action hero (just super well done!). BUT, the script, execution etc just didn't work. Too many awkward, cringe worthy moments. CGI was painful. I liked the motorcycle chase a lot and that to me, was Indy. Everything else seemed like fragments of what Indy should be, but something was rushed or off.

I hope for an Indy 5, as I think the series can end on a high note. BUT, considering Ford's age, Indy would have to be in a role more like that of a mentor with a team of young adventurers. That could be fun!

AndyLGR likes this.
  11. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    1. TOD
    2. KOTCS
    3. Raiders
    4. Crusade

12. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Yes its always been the edited version on UK TV. Yet the version shown in the cinemas last year was the unedited blu ray edition.

13. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    As far as I remember it has always been edited here in the UK, well until the Blu ray version anyway

14. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Any video of what the edited version looks like?

15. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014

Edit, just realised you said edited version. Sorry.

16. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    No worries. But the video you posted is what the scene looks like here in the U.S.

17. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Yeah it was too late to edit it after I realised I'd posted the uncut version.

Has the US always shown the full uncut version on TV?

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Haven't seen the film on TV in awhile, but if I recall the edited part is just the actual rip - the holding it up and it bursting into flames is still there.

19. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Sounds pretty bad :/

20. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Last Crusade
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Temple of Doom

21. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    Last Crusade
    Raiders
    Temple of Doom
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Sarge likes this.
  22. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Maybe slightly off-topic, but hearing about Harrison's ankle injury on the Episode VII set makes me worry if it'll affect his ability to make a fifth Indy film? I really hope he makes a complete recovery from it :/

23. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Not totally related to the films but I thought I'd share this for fun: the Disneyland Indy Ride. Been on that a few times, such a fun ride that captures the feeling of being in one of the films. Haven't been on it in years.

24. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    1. Raiders 10/10
    2. Temple Of Doom 7/10
    3. The Last Crusade 6/10
    4. Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull 1/10

25. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    That's a rarity for TLC not to have an overly high rating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.