main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion TCW & Rebels Now Officially Canon, EU Not Canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

There was a legitimate reason for the changes and it was called Lucas's vision for Star Wars. And he let people know what the situation was by doing this

Taken from wikipedia

By 1996, Licensing was keeping an in-house bible of reference materials as the volume of publications, facts, and figures grew to such unwieldy proportions that it became difficult to know everything relevant to a particular project. They finally decided something had to be done to organize the increasingly large collection of media which chronicled the Star Wars universe. A system of canon was developed that organized the materials into what was and wasn't fit for the Star Wars story.
    In 2000, Lucas Licensing appointed Leland Chee to create a continuity tracking database referred to as the "Holocron".[5] As with every other aspect having to do with the overall story of Star Wars, the Holocron follows the canon policy that has been in effect for years.
    The Holocron is divided into five levels (in order of precedence): G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, and N-canon.
    G-canon is George Lucas canon: Considered absolute canon, it includes Episodes I–VI (the most recently released versions) and the upcoming Episodes VII–IX feature films, the animated film, and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the scripts, filmed deleted scenes, movie novelizations, reference books, radio plays, and other primary sources are also G-canon when not in contradiction with the released films. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction.
    T-canon is Television canon:[6] refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the upcoming Star Wars Rebels. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.[7]
    C-canon is Continuity canon: consisting of materials from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks are a special case; the stories and general background information are themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay are, with few exceptions, N-canon. On April 25, 2014, all previously released C-Canon was officially bumped to S-Canon, and will be replaced by all-new C-Canon material.[8] The first official C-Canon project in the revised continuity will be Star Wars: A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller, which is a prequel novel to Star Wars Rebels. It will be released September 2, 2014.[9]
    S-canon is Secondary canon: the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes all C-canon material released prior to April 25, 2014,[10] video games such as the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies, and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.
    N-canon is Non-canon: "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), crossover appearances (such as the Star Wars character appearances in Soulcalibur IV), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. Any published material that contradicts things established in G-canon and T-canon is considered N-canon.

2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    As much I enjoy Star Wars: The Clone Wars, it too destroyed a large deal of previously established continuity and thus i have my own star wars canon in my head as i don't want to lose certain stories.

Still, it is insane that they are denouncing the entire EU as non-canon. I was expecting most Clone Wars material to be discarded, but everything?

Lucasfilm has lost it.

3. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    You're right. But it was canon.

Darth Dnej and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  4. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

A lesser form of canon that was always in danger of getting overwritten if TPTB so chose to do so would be a more accurate description.

kubricklynch likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  6. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Everybody is going to Gobbler's Knob. BWAWAWAWAWAWA

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Thank you. Next time I hear whining about how "EU 1976 - 2014" was somehow a thing, I will debunk that nonsense by copying this.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't stop him from saying we might get get Coruscant and Korriban mixed up.

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Whoever updated Wikipedia by stating that existing C-canon will be reclassified as S-canon seems like they are basing that on mere speculation, as I have not heard words like G-canon, T-canon, etc. referenced at all since the announcement was made that the only canon is the films, TCW and Rebels, plus new novels and comics not branded under the Legends label.

There seems to be a strict dichotomous classification of either is or is not canon, with everything falling under the Legends banner being classified into the latter category. I am unaware of anyone involved at LucasFilm/Lucas Licensing still arguing in favor of the convoluted canon hierarchy.

EHT and kubricklynch like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think anyone ever was in favor of the levels of canon. They were really just created to cater to various factions of SW fans- your film purists are happy because they can just exclude anything that's not g-canon; your EU fans are happy because c-canon is technically as valid as g-canon; and your Marvel fans are still holding on to that slimmest bit of hope that Jaxxon will appear in a modern story (fun fact, he didn't, but his species did).

As it is right now, everything new will be canon. The Story Group is telling everyone to STFU and buy our stuff. Which is great really, since its the firmest stance TPTB have taken in terms of canon in the entire existence of SW. For now, of course.

11. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I don't think that Wikipedia snippet is going to prove anything except how much wishful thinking surrounds this whole issue. C-canon is going to be replaced by new C-canon? Old C-canon will be preserved as S-canon? Films still override TV? I don't think any of that as from Lucasfilm/Disney -- sounds like fans who are desperate to hang on to their old stuff.

I do think there's another shoe still to drop when it comes to levels of canon -- in order for all canon to be the same, future writers have to have the same level of responsibility toward all of it. If a writer's outline contradicts A New Dawn in 2018, he's got to be given the same order to change it, with the same amount of wiggle room, as if he had contradicted Empire Strikes Back. If he gets two different answers based on what he conflicts with, the levels are really still there. And we may soon find out the levels are indeed still there internally -- they just aren't shown to us like they once were.

12. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    It looks like instead of just deleting the whole canon system explanation and rewriting it wikipedia just took what they already had and added stuff to it to make it more relevant with what took place last month.

I hadn't read the wikipedia section since then but before the legends deal was announced that section did describe the levels of canon pretty accurately and that is why I put it on here.

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I do think they are still using the word canon loosely.

When Filoni talks about it, he merely says that he communicates with people working on the movies and novels and is aware of what they are doing, and so can make things fit together. While there wasn't that kind of internal communication before between Lucas Licensing, Lucas Animation, etc.

So, they all know what the other is doing, but I am still skeptical that the movies will be beholden to the novels to the same degree that the novels are beholden to the films. And that just because a book today is released without the Legends branding doesn't preclude the possibility that it cannot be republished with such branding if it stands in the way of what the filmmakers want to do, somewhere down the road. The medium with the greatest audience is likely going to have all the perks, and is this case I would wager that is the films.

rdhight likes this.
  14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Well I think at least for the next ten years or so they will probably try to do a good job of keeping it accurate. Mainly probably helped by the fact that the episodic movies will likely stay in the sequel trilogy time period and the sequel to the sequel trilogy time period. Also the spinoff movies will likely just be an hour and half two hour long adventure shows without a great deal of depth.

But yes as soon as the movies start wanting to jump into different time periods there likely will start being a few complications.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't think anyone should expect these canon rules to be permanent. They have changed multiple times already and in my opinion are very likely to change again. It's just a matter of time.

rdhight and kubricklynch like this.
  16. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Yeah well the homeworld of the Sith is Korriban and that's the end of the matter.

Seriously, Moriband just sounds retarded. It will always be known as Korriban among the fandom.

Or at least until the kids born now and growing up under the new regime grow up into teens and join the online SW community. So say 15 years or so. And many of them if they play stuff like TOR may hear of Korriban anyway. So it may live on.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  17. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Time to dust this old joke off again. :p

Priestesses, alternating dialogue:
    Yoda, the continuity is changed. I see it in the EU. I sense it in the fandom. I hear it from the executives. Much that once was is now lost, for few now live who remember it.

It began with three canon tiers. G-canon would serve as the highest level, the six existing films. T-canon for Star Wars on television, like TCW and Rebels. And C-canon for everything else; the books, the comics, and the videogames. But they were, all of the fans, deceived, for there was really only one canon. In the land of Disney, from the ruins of Korriban, now the darkness of Moraband, the Dark Lord Iger crafted in secret a single canon tier, to subsume all others. And into that canon he poured his greed, his willingness to shift continuity and his desire to make profit. One canon to rule them all.

Serenity: G-canon for film purists, just movies they would buy
    Joy: T-canon for television fans, in their living rooms
    Sadness: C-canon for EU fans, some who will likely fly
    [​IMG]
    Confusion: Now one for the Sith'ari in his dark tomb
    Anger: In the world of Moraband where the Sith lie
    All: One canon to rule them all, one canon to find them,
    One canon to bring them all and in the darkness bind them​
    In the world of Moraband where the Sith lie.​

Darth Dnej likes this.
  18. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Is the name of the planet really that important?

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes.

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you! Why doesn't Karpyshan completely destroying the characters of Bane and Kaan receive the backlash that a mere name change does?

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It did. It occurred years ago, though.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Karpyshyn's Bane books are amazing, the best SW books I've ever read (of probably about 20).

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    Quick question. Is t canon viewed the same a g canon?

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    officially, but what director is going to care what a cartoon establishes?

25. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    I just found it interesting because on wookipeida Ventress, Tano, and Fives all seem to be under the "legends" category only where Rex is "canon" and "legends". Do they just think of those characters as EU only?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.