main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Off-camera" events that you would have liked to see

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Polydroxol, May 1, 2014.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I think that's the official reason given for its deletion, which is fair enough. That said, it still might have worked, as the scene in its entirety emphasises Luke's connection to Vader and the danger of his straying too closely to the Dark Side.

One way or another, it's great we've been able to see it, it's easily one of the best OT deleted scenes, if not the best.

darth ladnar likes this.
  2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I assumed it was implied in the film he hadn't been back to Yoda since ESB?

3. Chuckskyline

Chuckskyline Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    I think its left in the air. While, Luke mentions to Artoo that they are going to see an old friend in ROTJ, but the dialogue there with Yoda makes it seem like He has seen Yoda "no further training do you require" Its very ambiguous or contradictory. .

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TESB: "I promise I'll return - and finish what I've began. You have my word."

ROTJ: "I have a promise to keep. To an old friend."

The "no more training do you require" may simply mean that Luke's been studying on his own - "How to Build a Lightsaber" and so forth.

kubricklynch and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I want to see the scene where Vader returns to Coruscant after the destruction of the Death Star and has to go before the Emperor and explain his failure to his master. That would be a very chilling scene, as the sole survivor of the debacle at Yavin, Vader would be the one single target of Palpatine's rage.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    He would've blamed it all on Tarkin ;) In any case he seemed to have more power & authority in ESB than he did prior to Yavin. I agree though, would be a cool scene to see.

I also think it's strongly implied that Luke hadn't returned since ESB. There was only a 1 year gap in between ESB & RotJ. When Luke saw Yoda he looked very old & Yoda comments on Luke's surprise at how much older he looked. That implied he hadn't seen him in quite a while. Would need to be the full year for that to make sense.

kubricklynch likes this.
  8. Brewmeister Smith

Brewmeister Smith Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2014
    The dinner conversation after Lando reveals his "deal" with Darth Vader.

Someone actually disintegrated by Boba Fett.

Whatever happened to " an entire legion" of the Emperor's "best troops" during the battle with the Ewoks? Stuck in traffic? Deserted? Given the wrong directions?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

9. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

sarlaccsaurs-rex and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The battle of Tanaab.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Sarge like this.
  11. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

I think Han and the rebels on Endor avoid the main contingent of the Imperial legion by going in the "backdoor." The initial plan was to enter where the AT-AT's are right next to the big dish. The Ewoks show them what seems to be from the film a back entrance, and I'm assuming the AT-AT's couldn't make it there because of the thick forest, and many of the troops weren't able to make there in time or weren't supposed to leave their posts protecting the front entrance.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Would loved to see that

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Anakin/Vader's Purge of the Jedi Temple. I would have enjoyed watching him duel Jedi Knights and Masters in the Archives and etc.

Darth Rycbar likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Vader's first public appearance

Darth Rycbar likes this.
  15. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Now that we've seen how Jedi traditionally construct their lightsabers (in The Clone Wars: "The Gathering") I think this would be an incredible subject for a novel or a comic book. After the revelation in The Empire Strikes Back Luke goes to Ben's hut, desperate to make contact with him once more. Perhaps there he finds Ben's journals, or whatever scraps of knowledge the old Jedi saved from the order. He learns about Ilum, but instead of finding the well preserved Jedi sanctuary of old, he finds a planet reduced to slag by Imperial bombardment. How does Luke center himself enough to construct a new lightsaber when everything around him is a reminder of the terrible legacy he might be heir to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Palpatines relationship with Tarkin.

Bobas relationship with Jabba

A surface view of the Alderaan disaster

id add all those to the classic saga.

17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    But we saw green sabers in the 1st 3 episodes.

18. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013

And Plagueis angry and confused believing Palpatine is violating the rule of two.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That's a very generous bit of retconning. So where were they when the battle broke out? Or during the Ewok party?

I know we shouldn't apply too much real world logic to these things, but the whole Endor mission is ridiculous. The Rebels could have just hung out on their shuttle. Then when the time was right they could have taken off & blasted or bombed the transmitter dish or the generator, or at a last resort had someone crash the shuttle into the dish or generator.

Also, if the Empire had any sense they would have placed the shield generator within the Death Star itself. That way it's protected by the very shield it's projecting. What would the Rebels have done then? Also the DS would then have a shield for when it's in transit & at other locations. It's not like they can take Endor with them. Imperial Fools!

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Palpatine wanted a fail-safe in case the Death Star was used against him.
    This makes one wonder whether or not synthetic crystals will remain canon in the future.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    So you think Palpatine wouldn't want the DS to have it's own shield bcs it would be too powerful & too well protected? He'd prefer a far more vulnerable solution bcs he was paranoid? That seems crazy. More likely he would build in his own fail safe code, same principle as he did with the Clones & Order 66. Like I said the Endor shield wouldn't be much use when they want to move the DS to other locations.

Let's face it, the real reason is that placing the shield generator within the DS would probably make it invulnerable & then you wouldn't have a plot for the movie.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My assumption is that the shield generator was built on Endor to protect DS2 when it was under construction and did not yet have the capability of shielding itself.

Kind of like Star Trek: Generations, "The shield generators will be installed on Tuesday."

23. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

I don't think it's retconning. It's clear that Han thinks it's advantageous to attack the back entrance, and they clearly didn't know about it until the Ewoks showed them it or they would've headed there in the first place. Unless Han is an idiot, there has to be something really advantageous about the back entrance, and since the AT-AT's that we see earlier at the front entrance never appear to protect the back entrance, it seems pretty clear that the AT-AT's can't make it there because of the distance or the terrain.

You asked where they were at the beginning of the attack. The majority of the Imperial troops were at the front entrance with the AT-ATs, and didn't leave their stations. You also asked where they were during the Ewok celebration. They decided to retreat after seeing the DS2 getting blown up since it's clear they've failed at their job and they don't want to risk their lives for no purpose, and if they hadn't retreated, the rebels would've killed them with the extra reinforcements they'd have now that the space forces have completed their mission.

About bombing or crashing a shuttle into the shield generator, well we have no way of knowing whether that approach would be successful. Maybe the shield generator has great anti-aircraft protection. Maybe the shield made it impossible for the shuttle to fly near it because its shield was also protecting an area around the shield generator all the way down to tree top level. Since explaining all the ineffective ways to take out the shield generator would be lengthy, boring, and unnecessary exposition (just as explaining what all the remaining Imperial troops after the battle would do), it makes more sense just to accept that our heroes know what they are doing and to accept that what they say is advantageous actually is advantageous (attacking the backdoor entrance to the shield generator, for instance).

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That's all very unlikely guesswork. So you're saying the "main contingent" of troops were at the landing platform where we see the AT-AT drop off Luke & deliver him to Vader? That's just a landing platform. See:

[​IMG]

& it's quite a long distance from the shield generator, which is shown at the end of the film to be underneath the dish:

[​IMG]

So why would a legion of troops be stationed there?

The point of Palpatine's plan was to have his troops waiting for the Rebels should they attack the shield generator. The Empire knew the Rebels were there from the moment they landed. They knew that their goal was the generator. They were fully aware that Han & co entered through the "back door". That's how the Rebels were caught & brought outside surrounded by the troops. When the Rebels were brought outside there were a massive number of troops, scouts, officers & AT-ST's. That is the legion Palpatine referred to. His plan worked exactly as he described. The point of GL's story was that he didn't count on the Ewoks who defeated the Imperials with the advantage of fighting in their own environment.

Why did the Rebels use the back entrance: bcs it wasn't as heavily guarded so it was easier to enter. However once they were caught that is a moot point. The Imperials could have taken them anywhere: front entrance, back, side, the Rebels had no say in the matter. The Imperials took them outside & surrounded them with their legion.

The theory that the main assembly of troops were standing around somewhere else, & didn't join the fight & then boarded a ship & escaped in some scene we never see is bizarre, & also illogical given the whole reason the troops were there in the first place was to protect the shield generator. Nowhere in the film is this even remotely suggested.

25. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

Nowhere in the film is any interpretation suggested -- yours, mine, someone else's. There seems to be something very good about getting in the backdoor, and it's not explained what it is. So, the audience is left to make up its mind. I admit your argument makes some sense, but I still see some problems with it, and I admit that mine has some problems as you pointed out. I also think it's uncool to describe another person's views on the forum as bizarre. You suggested that the Rebels could kamikaze the shield generator, and such a capability is never hinted at in the film. What I'm saying is simply an inference derived from an actual line of dialogue from the film, not something made up whole cloth.

In military history, a legion is a huge number of troops. In Rome, where the term originated, it was 5,000 troops. We don't see anywhere close to 5,000 soldiers. It's probably around 200 hundred. We also know that the Empire has something like 100 million troops, so again, it seems unlikely that Palpatine would describe a group of 200 soldiers as some kind of insurmountable force, so I conclude that the Rebels and the Ewoks fight only part of the legion because we never see an insurmountable number of soldiers and because of the reasons I describe above.

Also, we know that the Empire didn't use their most effective defensive vehicle -- AT-ATs --against the Rebels. It seems strange to me that if Palpatine was really trying to ambush the Rebels that he wouldn't use his most effective weapon against them, so again my conclusion is that the back entrance prevents the AT-ATs from being involved because of its distance or the terrain. (Also, I'm assuming that if they are protecting the landing platform with AT-AT's, that they also have them near the shield dish, but again, this is based on the assumption that the Imperials aren't idiots and that they'd use their best weapons to defend their most important spots.)

Also, the idea that the Imperials stop fighting after the Death Star and the field generators isn't much of a stretch. Surely some Imperial Star Destroyers survived the Death Star explosion, but we don't see them continue the fight against the remaining the Rebel troops. Then we later see Wedge and Lando and Ackbar at the Endor celebration. If it can be true that Imperials retreated in the space battle, then the same can be true for the land battle on Endor. Also, probably a lot of the Imperials were in the field generator or around it, and they got blown to bits when it was destroyed, and this loss of numbers would have made continuing the attack more difficult.

Also, I should add that when the shield generator explodes the explosion does not seem to be anywhere near to where Han and the Ewoks are, so this again suggests to me that a long distance separates the main field generator with the dish and the backdoor where Han is, again giving the impression that Han is a great distance from the majority of Palpatine's great legion who have stayed at their stations to protect the main dish, and were then subsequently blown up.