main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Was the prophecy misread?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Aug 23, 2013.

1. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I've never thought of it as misread...because he actually DOES destroy the Sith, temporarily, at least. To me, it makes it much more poignant that he falls to the dark side first.

2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    The Prophecy came true, but at great cost. Did not the Jedi consider that "bring balance to the Force," might mean the Dark Side resurgent and the death of many Light Siders?

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Personally, the only bit of the prophecy that I view as a bit wishy-washy is whether it was actually Anakin that was the Chosen One or if perhaps it could have been Luke. Either way, Anakin destroyed the Sith because of Luke's actions, thus bringing balance to the Force and fulfilling the prophecy.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no it was not misread. it's still came true but the problem with prophecies and reading the future is that you don't know HOW these events will come about.
    trying to predict these things 100% is impossible. in myth and greek tragedy the prophecy almost comes true in an unexpected and tragic way.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

No. It said that the Chosen One would bring balance with the destruction of the Sith. What happened to the Jedi was not part of the prophecy, but Anakin making a selfish choice for a selfish reason. Anakin could have still brought balance without betraying the Jedi, if he only learned to let go of his fears and face an uncertain future.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Do we even know what the Prophecy said? Was a part of the Prophecy ignored or forgotten? Maybe will be brought up later?
    Odds are that there will be more to the prophecy in the ST than we know now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was changed from Anakin.
    Darth Krayt rising up 130 years after the OT works for me because he fell because of Palpatine's actions in the PT era. Then Cade Skywalker finished him off. The family kept up the legacy.

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    darth-sinister, thanks for adding the line I had forgotten about. The Prophecy does say the Chosen One will destroy the Sith, hence why Obi-Wan shouts it at the end of the Duel at Mustafar. Kenobi, "You were the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!"

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Uh, no. First off, the prophecy was fulfilled. Lucas mentioned this several times and in universe, Luke made reference to his father having a destiny that he had to live up to and that it had ultimately been fulfilled. Second, "Legacy" no longer counts. But back when it did, it had nothing to do with Krayt or the True Sith living in the Unknown Regions. The part about being misread has to do with the Council losing faith in Anakin, because of his behavior following Ahsoka's departure from the Jedi Order which cumulated with his outburst in the Council session about being a Master and on the Council. That's why they express doubt which then leads us to looking towards Anakin's children.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The 6 part Saga was so 2005. The 9 part Saga is the Story now. And when ever we get Episodes 10-12 that will be the story, not the 9 part Saga. Knowing Lucas he will throw us a curve ball. Believe Lucas if you want, I have a feeling that he will change the Chosen One Prophecy to tie the ST into the OT-PT Saga.
    Not sure how much I put stock into the Chosen One Prophecy or that Anakin is it anyway. I think that the Skywalker family is supposed to be it. I don't think that there is an explanation for Krayt or Lumiya but I personally believe that the Skywalker family are the ones that are supposed to keep balance. Not Anakin or just one person. The Sith being wiped out for good after Palpatine's death? Highly doubt it. Krayt happened because of Palpatine so the Skywalkers having to continue to make sure Palpatine's impact on the galaxy is lessened. Palpatine impacted a lot. Anakin defeating him in ROTJ didn't end his influence on the galaxy. Everyone wasn't going to turn good because Palpatine was dead. If Anakin was dead who was going to make sure the galaxy was for the better? The Skywalker family.

Kato Sai and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said, FS. :)

It depends how one interprets the prophecy and I'm not convinced we even know what it is wholly. I never thought it was Anakin that brought balance I thought that was Luke and as you say by extension the Skywalker line. Anakin destroyed both Orders for a time leaving both to begin afresh. He was a fallen one redeemed so he had a part in restoring balance, yes but so did Luke's unselfish love and faith which counterbalanced his father's selfishness. Luke is the one tasked by implication to reforge the Jedi Order, they don't do it on their own but the Skywalkers do have a pivotal part in maintaining the balance.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the wording might be in some guide. The Jedi Path or something like that but am pretty sure that its Legends now. Not in a movie or TCW. Until we get the wording I'm not trusting what is said about it. They will bring in a section that was ignored or newly found in the ST to continue the storyline. I will not be surprised if it is changed to the Skywalker family

In the time of greatest despair,a child shall be bornwho will destroy the Sithand bring balance to the Force
    These are the words that are in the guide I mentioned. Sounds like Luke to me. So Luke will be it or the Skywalker family will be it. I don't see how there won't be repercussions from Palpatine's actions in the PT-OT. If Anakin is the Chosen One, how can he counter these repercussions if he is dead? Luke is not dead however.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That's even if the Sith are back in the ST. It could very well be a new threat that won't disrupt balance to the Force. It could be something along the lines of the Nightsisters and Nightbrothers from TCW, or like the Inquisitor from "Rebels". As to Krayt and the Sith in the old EU, again as noted, the Force was still in balance despite their presence post ROTJ. The implication is that Palpatine's actions came at a specific time and not because of the Sith in general, as the Force wasn't out of balance during the eras of Freedan Nadd, Darth Revan and Exar Kun.

13. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    But once you've set up ('you' being GL in this case) that the six-film saga is ACTUALLY about the balance of the Force and Space Jesus's story, it becomes hard to have any additional stories in the same 'series' have the same oomph, no?

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm sure that was one of the challenges he was facing as he was consolidating his ideas a few years ago. Creating a viable threat that would carry over three films, that didn't undermine what he had finished with the PT. The stakes would have to be reasonable enough to tell that story.

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Did Lucas say that the entire Skywalker family was supposed to keep the balance? And how were they suppose to achieve this?

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just thinking about how Lucas will spin the 9 part Saga.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the force is always in flux (i would guess). the sith ruling the galaxy unbalanced it. vader's destruction of the sith balanced it again. i would hazard to guess the sith/new enemy begin a new resurgence again in the st. perhaps luke and his new disciples will have to try to keep the balance from shifting back to sith rule. it sounds like a constant universal struggle that goes back and forth.

18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I think the whole prophecy plotline was mishandled and probably would have bettered the saga by its absence. But this is one point that does make sense. I think that from the moment the clones enter service, Palpatine is wanting to give Order 66. He's accumulating more and more personal power through this war, but none of what he gains in the Senate is going to stop the Jedi if they learn who he is. So he wants to do unto them first, but he can't because he's afraid that some of the more powerful Jedi will escape Order 66 and kill him. And he thinks Anakin will probably be the one to finish him off, because of the prophecy. Only after Anakin turns does Palpatine feel safe giving the order.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think the prophecy was really misread. At the time, the Jedi thought it was a possibility, because things seemed to be constantly getting worse after Anakin entered the picture, not better. That line was put into the movie to introduce doubt on the part of the audience, so that if you were watching the movies chronologically, you might have reason to believe that the saga might not have a happy ending, so that suspense can be maintained all the way to the pivotal moment in Episode VI. It's the same reason Palpatine implies that Anakin's creation via the midi-chlorians may have simply been a mundane plot by the Sith, not a divine message.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Pretty much and with Luke's role in the OT and now the emergence of the ST, someone seeing it I through IX would think that. Only to have the rug pulled out with Anakin fulfilling his destiny.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Aside from the fact that the Jedi weren't the ones unbalancing the Force, just going by numerical percentages Anakin can't really be given credit for "destroying the Jedi". Most Jedi were killed by clones.

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Does it explicitly say bringing balance to the force requires the Sith to be vanquished?

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's what Obi-wan says it said. And Lucas backs this up in his statements on the subject.

Kato Sai likes this.