main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Attack Squadron

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by darklordoftech, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    these screens are an extremely early, pre-beta build. I imagine the game will look at least a bit better.

Anyway, i'm just excited because
    A:I need a customized y-wing
    and B: Along with my usual username Loupgarou, I managed to snag 'Lando Calrissian' as a handle. I have an obligation to get good and communicate only in recorded quotes.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Sad there's no story driven single player campaign, but still a welcome and surprising return to the genre. Hopefully a phone call to Larry a Holland is forthcoming.

3. Jerrybanana

Jerrybanana Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2013
    if this is free.. i really hope that it's not pay2win. that would really suck. :(

FRAGWAGON and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Area 52 Games doesn't seem to, have any games yet.

And I tapped the Lucasarts link and it went to star wars.com. Who the hell is making this game? What games have they done?

5. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    It seems that Area 52 is a rather new studio, as no one has been able to dig up any software they've made. Judging from random LinkedIn pages, it seems like it's based in the Seattle area, and most of the people employed there seem to specialize in free-to-play and browser based games (aka, don't hold your breath for this game).

LucasArts.com is still live. It hasn't been updated since like May of last year. The site still has the 1313 page, complete with ominous playing music. Depressing.

I understand Disney's discussion of closing LucasArts (although I don't like it), but I just don't understand the abandoning of both 1313 and First Assault. 1313 showed promise and had the fan base excited; First Assault really didn't look all that great, but it's basically what Disney is trying to do with Attack Squadrons. Why not just finish up First Assault, which apparently was almost complete?

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Have EA stated they don't plan to finish and release either of those games? It would make sense to do that if they were almost finished and as good as they appeared to be.

Disney also did the same with The Clone Wars on TV. Why not let it run to the end that Filoni had in mind? They could have made lots of money from DVD sales and fans stay happy because they get storyline resolution.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

There are things that have come to light that cast doubt over how finished 1313 actually was. We later found out 1313 was had been scrapped and started from scratch at the whim of George Lucas, and that everything we saw at E3 was an obsolete model of 1313, as the Boba Fett rendition of the game had gone into development 8 weeks prior to 1313's official unveiling.

http://kotaku.com/how-lucasarts-fell-apart-1401731043

It really does sound like Lucasarts' upper management was a complete shambles, and the company had been visibly struggling for years now. I really do think that Lucasarts was going to die off as a developer, even without Disney speeding up the process.

I don't think First Assault and Attack Squadrons look anything alike, except for the fact they were both downloadable titles. One was Lucasarts attempting to make a Call of Duty clone on the Unreal engine, which they had spent a lot of money on hiring out from Epic. The other is a F2P title that is obviously trying to emulate the success of games like World of Tanks.

However I do agree with the point you made, the coding on First Assault was supposedly completed. Furthermore, we know it had been submitted to the XBLA for approval as the cover art for First Assault was found hidden away within a Microsoft website. For all intents and purposes the game was ready for release.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    No big loss. Move along, move long.

10. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
  11. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I was in the Beta for a couple few months and it's really disappointing to see this get canceled. A very good concept with a lot of potential (as far as f2p games goes), and it was STAR WARS! So much fun being in an XWing again, even if it wasn't quite the sims of yore. I wish I knew what went down internally that ultimately led to the cancellation.

I hope Battlefront 3 has some decent space combat (in the OT) and ins't garbage. That will likely be the last hope for any OT related space combat in a long time.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Why do you think that? The OT is timeless and iconic.