main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire Strikes Back voted Greatest Movie of all time

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by gezvader28, May 28, 2014.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    couldn't see a thread on this .

Just got the latest issue of Empire magazine , they've just done another readers poll on the greatest movie of all time , and ESB has come top .

there's also a new interview with Lucas about it .

2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    http://www.empireonline.com/301/301.asp

Luca related film positions:

# 1 ESB ^:)^
    # 6 SW
    # 9 ROTLA
    #100 TLC
    # 120 ROTJ
    # 179 TOD
    # 224 ROTS

No Howard the Duck though surprisingly ;)

ESB is my favourite film too, yet I still find it amazing that a sci fi film from this genre is consistently voted one of the best films of all time. Its easy to take it for granted now, but just shows how good a film it was and still is.

TX-20, MOC Yak Face and Yanksfan like this.
  3. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    he's asked about the Greedo debacle as well and still defends it , he says that Han isn't a cold-blooded killer etc.

Darkslayer and Luukeskywalker like this.
  4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Empire is consistently ranked that high and it's good to see that the trend continues.

However, imo, that list is laughable and I saw this: The Matrix is at #23, while Avengers (of all movies) is ahead at #16. Something is completely wrong here.

5. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    It's my favourite film of all time, and I'd have it as one of the best of all time (I'm not sure its THE best ever), but these lists generally devolve into popularity contests. Hence The Dark Knight, Inception, Avengers etc etc.

GGrievous likes this.
  6. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003

what's so wrong about that ?

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    245. Star Trek Into Darkness (Abrams)
    188. Star Trek (Abrams)
    Not appearing in the top 300 films: Cloverfield (Abrams), Mission Impossible 3 (Abrams), Forever Young (Abrams), Regarding Henry (Abrams)

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    ESB is a great film but Return of the King IMO is better

Darkslayer and CommanderDrenn like this.
  9. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    ROTK is very good , but it goes on a bit .

Luukeskywalker likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Still better IMO

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I'm glad to see Empire as number 1! Although, I admit I would rank Raiders above A New Hope :)

12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I love "The Empire Strikes Back", but there is NO SUCH THING as "the greatest movie of all time", as far as I'm concerned. And "TESB" isn't exactly perfect.

This declaration and the "Empire" magazine listing is nothing more than some result of a popularity contest to me. I can't take it seriously.

13. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    yeah, good film

but hardly the best film of ALL time imo.

14. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Close the door on your way out

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why? Because the list doesn't adhere to your tastes?

16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    #3: The Dark Knight

#10: Inception

Yeah…No. Sorry, but this list doesn't mean anything to me.

Why don't they title these things "Most Popularly Beloved" films instead of Greatest?

Does anyone legitimately believe that Inception is a greater film than Schindler's List? Or that Skyfall is better than Pan's Labyrinth?

GGrievous, Sarge and Alexrd like this.
  17. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Well, if you check out my profile, you'd see this doesn't surprise me at all. :D

No, really. My friend had me pin it down a few weeks ago. I used to think ESB was just my favorite SW film (hands down, no question). But she made me realize that, wow, yeah, it probably is actually my favorite movie all-around. Not saying I think it's the BEST film ever, necessarily, but…. I mean, in terms of movies I've watched over and over again? I can't think of a film I've seen more times. Seriously, It's kinda disgusting….

Andy Wylde and MOC Yak Face like this.
  18. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Meh. Frankly when you get to that "top tier" of great films, it's impossible to rank one above the other objectively.

Sarge and FRAGWAGON like this.
  19. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I just watched ESB for the first time in a few years. I teared up a little realizing just how much some of those scenes profoundly affected my life. It is fantastically done. The word that keeps coming to my mind is "magical." The magic was missing from the prequels. I'm optimistic the team assembled for VII can recapture a bit of it.

Sarge and Yanksfan like this.
  20. Troubled Mind

Troubled Mind Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 9, 2013
    Which scenes and how did they affect your life?

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Let us celebrate the way in which this poll reflects the greatness / beloved-ness of The Empire Strikes Back without feeling the need to get into why other SW films may or may not also be good.

Although these types of things are always a bit problematic in the sense that not only are they subjective, but also very much in the comparing apples with oranges category, the fact that TESB and ANH consistently rank highly reflects their enduring quality and widespread appeal. Congratulations to Mr Lucas and all others involved in its creation.

22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003

"Most Popularly Beloved" films-
    doesn't exactly trip off the tongue does it .?

I'm pretty damn pleased ESB is top .

23. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Then why not just "Most Popular"? I just think it's a little silly to try to rank such disparate films. A lot of them are trying to achieve wildly disparate things. At least if you frame it as a popularity contest, you aren't necessarily pitting them against one another in terms of their quality.

Andy Wylde, Alexrd and Pensivia like this.
  24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't understand what you mean .

it's a poll , no matter what you call it you're pitting them against one another simply by having to choose your favorite .

25. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp really got to me. Of course the music was perfect. Just the sense of wonderment and Yoda's stubbornness that you can achieve whatever you set your mind to. If you grow up being one of the smallest kids in your class, you have a tendency to be underestimated by not only your peers, but even your teachers & family. There's a bit of an underdog theme to the whole original trilogy that really inspired me to prove my own self worth whether it was in sports, the classroom, music, etc. I basically grew up in cornfield, so Luke's farmboy-turned hero character really resonated with me.