main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I just read Shadows of the Empire and Xizor never mentioned that Palpatine had any special powers, so I don't think he knew. And since he didn't it's pretty certain that almost nobody outside apprentices and Hands knew. Pestage? Ars Dangor?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    SoTE p4:

Xizor didn't understand the Force that sustained the Emperor and made him and Vader so powerful, save to know that it certainly worked somehow. But he did know that it was something the extinct Jedi had supposedly mastered. And now this new player had tapped into it. Vader wanted Skywalker alive, had practically promised the Emperor that he would deliver him alive - and converted.
    This was most interesting.
    Most interesting indeed.
    The Emperor finished his communication and turned back to face him. "Now, where were we, Prince Xizor?"

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I yield.

...and have a poor memory.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    This may be a stupid question...I am listening to Star Wars Report's podcast. There was a comment that after the comic license reverts to Marvel, you won't be able to access digital copies of the Dark Horse books. Did I hear that wrong, and the comment was meant to say that you couldn't buy digital editions?

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Can't buy new ones, you will still be able to access your old library.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Hi, two questions:

* Can anyone recall how was the reception of the comic Jedi vs. Sith? It intrigues me cause I just read it and while I liked it, I found it to be veeery un-starwarsy in relation of the graphic portrayal. No droids, little to no aliens in both sides (seemed like Kopecz was the token Sith alien heh), and of course Farfalla and his crew of greek mythological creatures. Was it relevant? Do people like it, hate it? meh?

* Is there an in-universe explanation about how Darth Vader, a person widely known in the GFFA can be out and about and have an important position bearing that title? I know the Empire is authoritarian and that common folk aren't quite familiar with the Sith, but it feels odd. It's like in in real life, the Secretary of Defense fancied himself as Geschaeftsfuehrer Jones and nobody batted an eye.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from Leia, how many people in the Empire (Leia was still an Imperial Senator at the time) refer to him as Darth Vader instead of Lord Vader?

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    In a word, divisive. I get the sense that there's a big split between people who preferred Jedi vs. Sith's interpretation of the Battle of Ruusan and those who preferred the Darth Bane novels'.

DelRiego likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I like both - Bane trilogy for getting inside Bane's head, and JvS for the visuals.

DelRiego likes this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Jedi vs. Sith is possibly the best Star Wars comic of all time. The Darth Bane books are in contention for bottom of the novel barrel. There is no comparison.

Gorefiend, DelRiego and _Catherine_ like this.
  11. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Just finished reading Dark Empire I for the first time.

The format is going to take some getting used to since I've never read comics before and the art is cheesy, but I found the story itself to be rather good.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Well Tarkin just calls him Vader a few times, though I swear there is one story where two Officers keep going back and forth on the Darth or Lord thing, just can't remember where it happend.

13. IronAngel89

IronAngel89 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2014
    I'm newer to the Star Wars EU and I still choose to read them even thought they're not canon now with what Disney wants, but still, the people writing this stuff have a better understanding of the Star Wars mythos than I do and so I want to get into that rich history as much as I can. Right now, I'm about to finish reading Dark Force Rising which was very fun I have to say.

Gorefiend and Iron_lord like this.
  14. IronAngel89

May 27, 2014
    I'm really interested in reading about the Solo twins but I started the Thrawn trilogy and I'm almost done with the second. So after I finished the third, should I start reading Betrayal and all the novels following that? That was my original plan but I figured I should ask the seasoned fans of Star Wars.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Hell no, why would you even want to?! :( Read the Hand of Thrawn Duology and the NJO, much better stuff.

16. IronAngel89

May 27, 2014
    Right, Hand of Thrawn! I keep forgetting about those, Thrawn is awesome. Also, what is NJO? I want to take a stab and say New Jedi Order? Anyways, I always liked the idea of sibling rivalries, that was what peaked my interest in the Solo twins.

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Even more of a reason to read the New Jedi Order, they have a real sibling rivalry going generated by clashing personalities and outlooks on live, not just a stupid plot set up so they have some badly contrived reason to fight each other. :)

Riv_Shiel and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. IronAngel89

May 27, 2014
    How many books are in the NJO? (also, mad props to me for guessing that acronym accurately on the first try without google)

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    19 Novels, starting with Vector Prime.

20. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Here you can have an idea, it's 19 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Jedi_Order_(series)

I once asked if I could skip some and while some agreed on the hardcovers being the key, it's still many (I wanted to read like only 3, silly me :p)

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You have to read all of them. It's not possible to skip anything. You would be missing out.

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Well you can easly skip Boba Fett: A Practical Man, as it is more likely to cause brain melt then anything else if actually read along the NJO. ;)

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. IronAngel89

May 27, 2014
    Holy crap that's a lot of read lol but that's what happens when you get into this stuff.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you are interested in the Solo twins then they get their personality in Crystal Star - overall rather bad but full of interesting ideas - and have it developed in the Young Jedi Knight series, which I personally really like but it is made for kids with all that mean. You don't need to read CS before YJK to get it but the later refer to the former in some of the books.

To my understanding you also don't have to read either of those books/book series to read NJO since they throw out most of the Solo twins personality from those works.

Iron_lord and IronAngel89 like this.
  25. IronAngel89

May 27, 2014
    Okay, cool, yeah I'll definitely check those out for sure. Thanks