main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Some of Let It Go's lines are unfortunate (the bit about no right and wrong) and I definitely agree it has a huge potential to be misunderstood if the lyrics are taken literally and not in the context of the film (the song, about being yourself and not giving a crap about what others think, is not the final message of the film, which occurs at the ending: you can be yourself without hiding yourself away because those who love you will have your back.)

But I don't know that it's fair to blame the film for people missing the point just because the song is so spectacular.

(Also For the First Tine in Forever and it's reprise are totally better anyway)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This. The lyrics make sense in context. If you take them out of context it can be pretty rebellious (like the line you said about no right and wrong, or "that perfect girl is gone") but in context you just realize that she's basically saying that she's sick of being a perfect girl, hiding this stuff to the point that she had a nervous breakdown and nearly killed everybody, so she's just going to "let it go" and be herself and not care what people think. That's why I hate the Demi Lovato version–not only does it change the lyrics and thus ruin it, but add to it the more rocky background music and it just sounds like a rebellious song.

Also, First Time in Forever is my second-favorite song, next to Let it Go. I'm sorry, but Let it Go is just too catchy; I find myself singing it randomly throughout the day, not caring who's listening, and I'm an 18-year-old boy. Then again, I've also broken into a duet of Love is an Open Door with my 16-year-old brother before, so yeah. :p

As for what was happening to Arendelle at the time, remember that she doesn't even know that, and doesn't realize it until Anna tells her, after which she has another nervous breakdown. It's not that she doesn't care about anyone else anymore, it's that she doesn't care what they think. Specifically, what they think about her.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm too dignified to sing but I'll catch myself sub vocalizing both sings from time to time.

Anybody who knows me that this is basically tantamount to a full-on, orchestral Singing in the Rain kinda thing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Random Comments and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I used to think I was too dignified to sing. But after I moved to this place and met this new set of friends I realized that I'm no better than them and so I'm really not too dignified to do anything that the world as a whole would probably consider silly–because I've seen my friends do some seriously wacky things. I'm still introverted, but I'm not shy anymore, at least. :p

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm better than everyone, but more to the point my singing is a disgrace so it is actually an ethical imperative that I do not sing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That made me chuckle. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Also, from what I understand, when the song was written, she was more of an actual direction. While the song itself caused the movie makers to change direction, I can see how its origins can result in some lyrics that sound worse than anything she actually does.

Plus, I could easily imagine some thinking themselves above right and wrong until they actually see or hear about people suffering and then realize that they do in fact still have a sense of right and wrong.

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, from what I've heard, Elsa was originally supposed to turn evil. But Let it Go was too powerful and they decided to redeem her instead.

And this. Again, she didn't realize her magic was harming Arendelle. Right after saying "no right, no wrong, no rules for me" she said "I'm free." In other words, she was free to do what she wanted because there was no one around for her to hurt. That's the context of the song with the movie. When she finds out she's actually hurting people...well, that's how the castle crumbles. :p

Also I find it hilarious that a bunch of hardened SW fans are talking about Frozen. That, my friends, is just awesome. [face_dancing]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I used to feel that by not singing I'm doing a favor to everybody, but after getting into the technical student culture I have embraced the motto "We sing rather than well". Quality is not as important as just having fun spontanously singing Gaston.

Hey, we have a topic here! Do you think Kanan has spent fifteen years muttering "Conceal, don't feel"?

10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I made a collage of Disney characters with Rebels characters a few months ago and paired Kanan with Elsa because it fit so perfectly. I called it "The Hidden Heroes" or something like that. When Rebels is several episodes in–thus, with enough relevant footage of Kanan–I fully intend to make a montage video of him with Let it Go in the background. Or I would if I had the technical smarts for it. Someone good with something like that totally needs to do it for me. [face_praying]

Although I am totally going to write Kanan lyrics for the song. Hmm. This might take a while.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Lugija are you telling me that Gaston is your spirit animal? That is not ok. Gaston is basically the epitome of the Rebel Alliance.

And comparing Elsa to some Jedi is revolting. She is obviously more like the noble Palpatine, hiding her true nature until her enemies hatefully attacked her.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Well the way he finds happiness from simple things in life and can inspire other people to brave deeds is equal to none. But his song comes at the same point in the movie as Elsa's Let It Go, so there is still something he has to learn of people. Mainly: Never underestimate Stockholm Syndrome.

[​IMG]

And to your second point: Absolutely true. There's Mace coming in shouting "Monster!" just when the war was won. How convenient for the Jedi.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So Annie is Anna. Makes perfect sense.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Funny, I think Gaston is the perfect representation of an average imperial officer: an arrogant, bigoted bully who simply cannot grasp why anyone would dislike him and what he represents.

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    JJM just noted on Twitter that Amazon is taking pre-orders on a (free) sampler of AND, Tarkin, HTTJ, and LOTS that will be available on the 15th--meaning we don't have to wait for SDCC to get a taste of these.

I love how they keep saying "the Plagueis treatment", which to me translates as "using every EU source ever".

16. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    It will be like that day they opened Tutankhamon's tomb.

Or the Ark of Covenant. Depends of quality.

WMIRTUTSF and Zorrixor like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Or Al Capone's fault.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It'll be both, with the Lit forum and Ep7 forum each displaying the opposite reaction. :p

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    CooperTFN but this is different from the SDCC booth offering, right? I had the impression that they would be handing out the full text of AND.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I've pre-ordered it, I'll let everyone know all of the juicy tidbits once it downloads on the 15th.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, SDCC is the whole book of AND plus the excerpts.

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I was about to correct you and be like, "Coop, it should be 'The whole book AND the excerpts.'" Acronyms are a strange beast.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok. I'm going to still see of I can find a way to get somebody to grab me a copy...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    DR posted a photo of the dust jacket on FB today, from which I have helpfully transcribed the plot summary for you lovely people:

Gorse is new. Bomb-thrower--Sabine?

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I thought Ezra was the bomb thrower with his slingshot or whatever. Or is he not in A New Dawn?