main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Allow the Star Wars: Legends Brand to Continue

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by zakfett92, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zakfett92

zakfett92 Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2014
    Fans of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, I address you with a matter of great importance to the fandom.
    As you know, George Lucas has sold Lucasfilm to Walt Disney Studios and they plan on making a sequel trilogy, along with a number of stand-alone films. In my mind, these were bad decisions on his part, but I was willing to let it pass. However, when Mr. Lucas made the claim that the films would not deal with material already in the Expanded Universe, alarm bells started going off in my head. How would he be able to do such a thing without disturbing already established events from the novels and games? This question was answered by the recent shocking decision by Mr. Lucas and Lucasfilm that all Star Wars stories outside of the films and cartoon were now to be labeled as non-canon.
    This was a major blow to the Star Wars fandom, of whom most considered the Expanded Universe to be canonical; rightfully so, as it has slowly been established over the course of more than twenty years. Lucasfilm has claimed that while all the already created works will continue to be sold under the “Legends” brand, but they have also claimed that no more stories under the “Legends” brand will be published in the future. For a Star Wars fan such as myself this decision is intolerable. The Expanded Universe told many great stories of the Star Wars universe, and it still held promise many more stories yet to be told.
    Obviously, we can’t convince Lucasfilm to cancel production of future films; they’ve already spent too much time and money for that. Likewise, we can’t convince them to withdraw their claims that the “Legends” brand is non-canon, as that would work against their film production. However, one thing we can convince them to do, with enough strength, is to allow more works to be created under the “Legends” brand. Just because they don’t view it as canon doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be allowed to continue following it. In the end, it would simply be a matter of there being two separate Star Wars universes, allowing each fan to decide for themselves which one they want to follow. And knowing the fans, many of them will probably decide to follow both.
    That being said, if they did properly separate the two “canons” and allow them both to continue, some work would have to be done. The main thing that would have to happen is that the “Legends” brand would have to disregard most of what happened in the “Clone Wars” cartoon. The reason for this is that the cartoon was the biggest part of the franchise that contradicted events that occurred in books of the old Expanded Universe. However, some events from the cartoon would have to be included in the “Legends” brand because some of the later books and short stories mentioned or dealt with events that occurred in the cartoon. Even so, it would most likely have to be altered so that it didn’t contradict events, lore, or facts from works in the “Legends” brand. Most likely a novelization of those episodes with necessary alterations to their stories would have to be written. This shouldn’t be very difficult. A Star Wars novelist who has read most of the Expanded Universe novels could do it easily enough.
    So I appeal to Star Wars fans everywhere. Tell George Lucas and Lucasfilm to allow the “Legends” brand to continue and publish future works. Let the Expanded Universe we grew up with to continue.
    Sign this petition.

Mod edit: Link removed

And get as many others as you can to sign it as well. Also, if you want to send your own complaints to Disney and Lucasfilm, email them at the following addresses:

Mod edit: Links removed

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Nah...

And "Mr. Lucas" had nothing to do with the end of the EU. He always stated from the beginning, way before the Disney sale, that he wasn't tied to any of those works, despite people continually ignoring such comments.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    He did NOT say that from the beginning and I do think he had some effect to the decision but it's simply a matter of perceptions.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Fine, if you want to get literal about it, he made the first "warning" at least 13 years ago:

"There are two worlds here: there's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, but they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe." - George Lucas, Cinescape Magazine (2001)

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  5. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    He did get involved though in somethings which is leaving me confused about the canon status of certain things. For instance, The Clone Wars tv show and movie are canon within the new guidelines according to the story group because of his involvement, but The Force Unleashed isn't even though he was involved in the creation of it.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    At least don't have Crucible be the end! One more story to wrap everything up that Denning never did and set up the Legacy comic series!

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Wrong forum - links removed from OP, locking thread.

zakfett92 - Welcome to the boards, discussions regarding the EU/Legends/canon rejig are more appropriate for the Literature or EU Community forums. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.