main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Recanonized EU: A List

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, May 1, 2014.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That sounds to me more like a lazy excuse to ignore/walk over someone else's work. Not trying to say they're bad people or anything, but come on, some of the EU would not have been difficult to incorporate.

WMIRTUTSF and Findswoman like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When they do jump into the era I don't see them doing TOTJ in any way. Also if the Sith only appeared 2000 years before the movies TOTJ, KOTOR and TOR are gone. Don't know what else to tell you.

3. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Your post got me kinda confused. Who said the Sith only appeared 2000 years before? And I never mentioned TOTJ.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    TPTB might very well decide that the Sith appeared for the first time 2000 years before the movies. Thought you were referring to the Ancient Sith era. More money for them to redo everything.

5. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I was referring to really anything. And come on - shouldn't that be their job? To try and fit as much as they can from the old EU in? What makes novels such as A New Dawn or Tarkin more in line with Star Wars than say Shatterpoint or Darth Plagueis? The answer, IMO, is that there is no difference, and that's why I am a bit frustrated. I know they can just say the Sith began 2000 years ago, but that kind of just feels like a pointless insult to us fans who kept the franchise going for stretches, when I doubt it would hardly (if at all) affect the plot of something that takes place millennia afterward.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree with you. It would be nice to have to have Shadow Hunter, Cloak of Deception and a few other things but if they got rid of the post ROTJ stuff it never seemed like a stretch to me that they would get rid of everything else. Way too constricting isn't it? Having to start over. I don't know why they would get rid of that stuff. Humans are impossible to understand.

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    You've got one human struggling to understand your post [face_laugh]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Touche

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What information is in the novelizations that's not contradicted by the movies, TCW, or Rebels?

10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Mace Windu using Vaapad is the most notable example I can think of.

11. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    Ah, that actually brings up something I've been wondering.

Lightsaber forms.

What's their status now? Do we know?

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I kind of found the idea insanely stupid anyway, so actually hope they don't come back. Just fight the way you want to people! Free-Style!

Edit:
    Restored bits of EU from Blade Squadron Part 1
    There are local security patrol forces independent of the Imperial Navy. So System Militias Ho!

There are former Imperial navy officers serving with the Alliance Fleet.

Many Rebel Fighter pilots are former smugglers.

Wedge Antilles is considered one of the best fighter pilots in the Alliance fleet.

Fraternizing is frowned upon in the Empire's forces, the Rebels care less.

Coffee exists. :p

There is an Imperial garrison on Naboo.

Vader is rather disliked among the Navy officers.

Command of a Star Destroyer is still considered a position of extreme prestige, even for an Admiral.

Star Destroyers have varying degrees of refits and load outs.

The Endor fleet is also still the largest fleet of Star Destroyers ever assembled. So hopefully the
    Jedi Cruiser is finally no longer considered to be a Star Destroyer.

Devastator was at the Battle of Hoth and it is still the name of Vader's old command ship.

Torpedo attack runs by fighters are still considered viable for taking out cap ship, though still extremely challenging to conduct.

13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I wanna say that Shadows of the Empire is still considered canon, since Outrider (and thus indirectly Dash Rendar), swoop bikes, ASP droids, Black Sun, Falleen, and such are official now.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It does not work that way. The Selkath have been canon since they appeared in the TCW, but the fact that they appeared in a canon source does not canonize the Legends source in which they first appeared.

Riv_Shiel and Cynical_Ben like this.
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The more things change, the more things stay the same.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Noooooo!!!!!!! I've always preferred the idea that Vader was on Devastator in the beginning of ANH because Devastator got to the Tantive first.

17. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Quinlan Vos was not canonized by TCW he was mentioned in ROTS when Anakin is late for Obi-wans briefing about the outer rim sieges. What TWC does canonize is his appearance, that he an Obi-wan have some history, and his lightsaber blade color and design.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    BRING ON THE MOTHER%$&ING CHOCOLATE.

19. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Would a list of what can operate in the nice grey area between canon and not-canon because it hasn't been contradicted be a waste of time?

20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    And his use of psychometry.

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    For me, nothing is non canon until its blatantly contradicted by a movie.

KOTOR is pretty much safe for me until we get a movie about how the Republic was formed 1000 years before Attack of the Clones.

mes520, WMIRTUTSF and spicer like this.
  22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love this whole list. Especially these. Sounds like Allston (RIP) and Stackpole got off comparatively easy. [face_dancing]

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    That would be the most monumentally stupid thing since 13,797,000,000 BC. I doubt they'd make the Republic 1000 years old, and I'm not much of an optimist. There'd be an outcry from even devoted movie purists ("Obi-Wan said a thousand generations! One-year-olds don't have babies!") I do see them making a movie in the KotOR era though, since it's immensely popular.

But yes, I can't see how anything is non-canon if it's not explicitly out-canon-ed. The official policy is exactly that, just more yellow-belliedly phrased in the press release.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    TCW says there was a "fall of the Old Republic", ergo, more than one in canon. Problem solved. And fans were jumping the gun to begin with, since the line is "I will not let this republic which has stood for a thousand years be split in two".
    "This" implies more than one all along, which we got confirmed in the canonical tv show.

Revanfan1 and Jedi Princess like this.
  25. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for the list. I'd been meaning to go over the Insider story since they were confirmed as canon. I'll add these into the main catalogue.