main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Disney's "Maleficent: The Untold Story"... coming to theaters in 2014

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jan 18, 2013.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    ehh ... I was excited by the concept of this movie, but that trailer has me feeling meh. It's been downgraded from "must see in theater" to "I'll try to remember to look for it on Redbox, but will probably put in the queue on Netflix but never get around to watching it" status. That could change, but that trailer was not impressive.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why not?

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Saw the posters and teasers for this film and thought the same thing.

rhonderoo likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

My first thought when I saw this thread.

5. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Almost done watching the animated Sleeping Beauty right now. Curious as to how the LA version will turn out.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    New Trailer!

"Once Upon A Dream" (Lana Del Rey)

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I like that thought the magical green mist special effects look like tv level effects.

8. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Not too pleased with the green mist, really, though the completely unnecessary use of it in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has probably jaded me.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    10 days to Maleficent! Hope it's good

11. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I'm so stoked for this film. I hope i'm not disappointed.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, I've tried asking this: do we know any reason why Disney is whitewashing their own character's backstory?

Maleficent wished for Aurora to die on her birthday; she was only saved because the last fairy hadn't given her blessing and changed that into "unending sleep."

Gamiel and Ghost like this.
  13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

Me too. :(

14. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Mini rant in response to some of the insanely stupid comments I've been reading tonight on Facebook -

Oh, puh-leeze!

Yes, Disney should have given "Maleficent" a PG-13 rating instead of PG, but those of you who say it's dark ... well, it's meant to be! This ain't quite like the animated version, ya know! And griping about her horns? Give me a break - she had the horns in the animated version, too! It's too dark for your kids ... fine, don't take them to see it, but just keep your mouth shut!

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm sorry, I can't really take it seriously as intending to be dark when the now-protagonist is changed from wishing the princess dead to merely being asleep.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The reviews I've read say great acting performances, great visuals, but that the main narrative needed better focus/pacing (with certain things that should have either been expanded upon or cut). Hope to see it myself this weekend!

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The movie is entertaining, it's not a waste of money. The representation of Maleficent in visuals and lines is great. I see no point in doing a spoiler tag thing until other people see it. Let's just say you are not getting the Sleeping Beauty story you already know. Everything is flipped around.

Ok, a spoiler tag for my one gripe:

Jolie does not deliver one of the greatest lines in film history and then turn into a dragon. This is basically what I went to see the movie for. I think it could have still been done in the story given, but the context would have been a little different.

18. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    okay srsly vlm, tell me more about

the climax of this ****ing movie. tell me what happened instead of angelina jolie turning into a dragon. does anyone turn into a dragon. why isn't there a dragon. that's like the only point of sleeping beauty.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yes there is a dragon. Another character is turned into a dragon. He does ok, it is not by any means an epic moment. It is a let down. It's not good on that note. Prince Charming is nothing. he actually has two decent scenes, then an odd add in at the end.

20. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    is it angelina jolie's love interest king ~*stefan*~

i bet it is

it totally is

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Disappointing movie. You can see the potential and the promise, but the execution is horrible. It's the cinematic equivalent of the Cleveland Cavaliers during the LeBron era.

Major quips

Stefan makes no ****ing sense. The character should have had some turmoil, some inner conflict. We see it once (when he rufies Malificent), and never again. He suddenly trusts three fairies (who, by the way, are named incorrectly) to raise his daughter when he didn't even want them at the party seconds earlier? With no explanation at all?

Aurora is bland as bland could be. Philip is worse. They wait until the credits for "once upon a dream". And the CGI is inconsistent but mostly bad. Doesn't Disney have someone on staff who can make a proper troll?

The plot is not terrible, though predictable. The characters, outside of Maleficent are too plain and uninteresting. And, the final battle is disappointing, and nit just because the ****ing CROW turns into a Dragon (although admittedly, the crow is the second best character in the movie, and I saw that particular twist coming when the crow was introduced.

Just meh overall.

Or, as Mrs Inty put it: Maleficent as imagined by George Lucas and directed by Michael Bay.

23. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    oh wow.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    See, I don't blame DarthIntegral's response at all. I can't dispute it. But I was entertained and Jolie was awesome. [face_dunno]

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Saw this last night at the El Capitan....seriously a gorgeous amazing movie. I can see how some people would dislike it though. I'm more of a fan of classic fairy tales with the simple storytelling, and this did exactly that. No it wasn't loyal completely to the original story or the classic Disney version, but it was a nod to both. Just overall one of the better movies I've seen in a long time.