main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I am also not able to quote messages when I hit reply. I'm using IE - there's basically no workaround to make that work?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Upgrading Xenforo would probably help but it will be at least June before that gets done. You could try using a different browser - Chrome or Firefox. The latter has its own issues with version 23 and later but quoting isn't a problem. (There's a thread on it here in Comms.)

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  3. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    I haven't been getting alerts to some of my threads. Is it just me?

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Tags need to be manually entered and not cut and paste into the thread/post.

5. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    Well I know, I'm getting alerts for tagging, but I'm not getting them for the ones I watch when someone posts in the thread.

I explained that badly :p

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Glad to hear that there's at least a tentative timetable for the XenForo board upgrade. As I noted in this post awhile back, the later versions of XF make some major and IMO, useful upgrades to improve board function and moreover, fixes a number of issues including the "Edit" bug on Mozilla Firefox, and presumably the IE11 reply issues some people are having. Since you guys intend to upgrade to XF ver. 1.3, this page has a list of improvements made by XF 1.3 (just click the threads tagged with "XF 1.3").

Just a thought, but I was thinking about ways to improve the existing Elasticsearch function. A recent (beta) update to the XenForo Enhanced Search add-on (improving upon the Elasticsearch functionality) may address some issues we've been having in the past like the Search function inexplicably failing for long periods of time, and of course improvements on search criteria and whatnot. It's merely a suggestion, and ultimately you admins can choose not to implement it.

7. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Once again my players are not getting alerts when I post the challenges.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    CL - we got a notice on the Search add-on but I have a feeling we wouldn't use it in Beta mode. (For those who don't know it basically means it's still in testing and users could encounter problems). Once it is officially released we might look at it.
    If you are talking about email alerts, we did have a mail outage for about half an hour on Thursday night due to some server work.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If you want to make clear that a quote comes from someone, instead of only writing quote in the opening square brackets, extend it to quote="name".

Eg.

10. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    As far as I know, it isn't the e-mail alerts that they are talking about. I believe that they are talking about the "alerts" tab that gets the red indicator when someone has posted in a thread that you are watching/have posted in isn't letting them know that someone else has posted.

11. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I've been manually typing out tags for my fanfiction updates, but it still hasn't sent notifications to the people I'm tagging. As well in the RPF.

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Are you typing @username or [USER=number]username[/USER]? Only the former will generate an alert. That is by design, because if the latter generated alerts, you'd get spammed with alerts every time that post is edited, quoted, or basically sneezed at.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Also insofar as we can tell, alerts are still functioning properly, so weird variations on the above are probably the only explanation.

14. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm typing at-name personally.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, I got an alert overnight so they are working. If you type multiple at-name (s) do you leave a space between them? Do you have a link to a post where the alerts didn't work?

16. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I do leave a space between them. The link in my sig goes to my story, and it appears in my last two updates some tags worked and some tags didn't. I confirmed this with one of the people I'd tagged and they said they hadn't received any notifications; I tagged them for both of the updates.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    OK - I'm gonna ask a question over in your thread.

18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Int-er-est-ing....

Noticing, in last few minutes, a sort of time/refresh delay between what I can see in a thread, and what I can see on the pages that show the last update in that thread.

Eg. I made a comment just now in the Truncated Posts thread, followed by Ramza, but from the Jedi Council Forums index showing the last posts in all the forums, it is still showing LAJ FETT's entry as "Today at 4:15AM" as the latest update, which is right before mine.

Also, the front page of the Roleplaying Boards, on my screen, showed a most recent post of Skywalker_T-65 in the Rocketjocks OOC thread in Roleplaying Resource, but I had to cancel Internet Explorer, relaunch and refresh it to see the actual entry, as it wasn't visible when I entered the thread.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The time stamp on the actual post is the up-to-date one. There is probably a refresh job that runs every minute or so that updates the last post/time on the forum list view.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The last few days I've been getting bug notifications while surfing this site. Any idea why?

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not sure, but we did have a board crash overnight. Anyone else getting bug notifications - and if so, can you post the messages you're getting?

For those who are curious - the board outage was caused by MySQL failing. Grahame has restarted it now. We're not sure why it happened at this point as there's nothing in the server error log to indicate a problem before the crash.

22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Yes, at about 10 p.m. PT. 'MySQL' was in the message, it was about 20 lines to the message and I'm afraid I don't know how to do a screen save.

Another fascinating computer thing! Glad your expertise got it going once more.=D=

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Can't take credit, I'm afraid. Ramza sent an email last night to Philip and Grahame with the error messages and I added one this morning UK time. As Grahame (server admin) is in the US we had to wait til morning in his time zone. He finally got things going around 12:30 PM UK time.

pronker likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    press the 'prnt Scrn' button on your computer, then paste it into whatever graphics program you use (most Windows computers should at least have MSPaint), and save the screen capture as a jpeg, gif, or png file.

25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Ahah, thanks for tips!