main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Disney's "Maleficent: The Untold Story"... coming to theaters in 2014

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Very enjoyable film, we laughed, said "wow!" and got misty-eyed. It is amazing to behold, beautifully shot, and has some truly awesome high points. I also liked seeing plot elements taken for granted turned completely on their ear. All in all it's a fine way to spend 2~ hours.

But I agree with the general tone of the criticisms levelled against it: the pacing flounders and the narrative focus is uncertain. King Stephan is given little motivation for his actions or depth to his rather unpleasant persona, which is disappointing, considering the entire point of the film is to give a villainous character a sympathetic backstory. The writers and producers have succeeded in doing that for Maleficent, but at the same time they've created a different one-dimensional villain who is not nearly as compelling or interesting. And the three fairies were not very funny, despite the filmmakers clearly thinking that they were. For us the audience was mostly silent during the pixies' would-be slapstick. And Prince Philip is almost entirely wasted as a character or a presence or a narrative necessity.

I think I'll give it 3 (out of 5) stars, whereas the original animated film remains a solid 4.

2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Are there any other kind of comments on Facebook? I'd like to know how many of those people don't know a thing about Sleeping Beauty, and even worse, how many are parents taking their kids but haven't shown them Sleeping Beauty. They'll probably be like the people who went to see Prometheus and came out saying "the makers of Alien should sue the makers of Prometheus". I can't stand ignorant movie watchers oblivious to anything outside of that one film.

3. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Went to see this last night and I really liked it. Sure there are some silly CGI characters clearly (did I see a Dobby look-alike?) aimed at children but aside from that, I liked the aesthetic of it. I also liked the little twist about
    true love's kiss, it was really sweet.
    Angie and the crow were great.

After watching this, we rented Sleeping Beauty and rewatched it. I had a great evening.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really want to see this because Sharlto Copley is in this, and that might be the only reason. He was the one good thing about Elysium.

5. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Bobatron, there were over two thousand comments on one post alone, so I couldn't read all of them; however, I would guess that some of the idiotic commenters probably have seen "Sleeping Beauty," think "Maleficent" is too dark, and are disappointed that it's not going to hew closely to the storyline of the animated version. Others most likely have not seen "Sleeping Beauty" at all. If they had they would know that Maleficent has the horns in that film too.

Most of them, though, have seen "Sleeping Beauty" and will see "Maleficent." It's just the knee jerk comments, like the ones about the horns, that really ****** me off.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was not expecting the twist until...let's see, I am too lazy to go get the spoiler tag...all parties were in the room.

Objectively speaking a part of me says I could post this in the bad movies you liked thread, but that would be calling this a bad movie, and it isn't despite my understanding of other people's problems with it.

7. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Is it better to see in the movies or wait until DVD for those who have already spent a few dollars on other movies? If this was September I would decide to go but its not. We have one or more movies coming out a week so I have to be strategic in my movie watching.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I went in not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. I loved it! Good story telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012

Just watched it today, the actor performance and the special effects was fine. But I'm quite disappointed at the story, I was expecting to see a more complex story than the original tale, where everyone has their fault and nobody was truly pure. But they whitewashed Maleficent way too much, she was pretty much faultless other than cursed the princess and later saved her more than once. The king's personality was demonized too much and a bit inconsistent It's just like the original tale turned upside down, which is quite bad.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This movie was not the first time it was done.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I did find it funny that two Disney films in a row had unconventional true love's kiss, even if this one was entirely predictable.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Saw it just before I left. It was a good movie, but they maybe Maleficent almost too good, and they deviated quite a bit from the original story. It would be cool to see a live-action movie that's completely faithful to the cartoon movie, though more from Maleficent's point of view. They also should have had one scene to transition Stephan's change.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  13. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I have seen this film only twice. I need to watch it again before posting my own opinion about it.

:)

14. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Now, after watching this movie four times, I am finally ready to post my thoughts about it.

While I will always hold the 1950 Sleeping Beauty close to my heart, I really enjoyed the new twists in this modern version. To have Maleficent be both villain and hero is amazing, and extremely creative on the part of Disney. However, I did not like the version of Once Upon a Dream at the end of the film. I think a much more atractive voice could have been chosen for the rendering of such a beautiful song. Other than that, I have no issues with the story.

:)

15. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I don't like this movie. I was also expecting something more complex than what was delivered. There was no point to Prince Phillip. The fairies were so incredibly annoying and, really, if Maleficent wanted to take her revenge on the king out on Aurora, she could just have left the girl alone. Those fairies would have had her dead in a week.

There seemed to be some potential in the scene before Stephan strips Maleficent of her wings. He first attempts to stab her but decides against it. If the reasoning behind that decision had been further explored, the character might not have been so bland and one-dimensional.

There were some great shots, but the effects were inconsistent, imo. Sometimes the scenes looked quite nice, but other times they looked not so good (not bad per se, but just not so good).

I'd give the film 2/5. It's not terrible, but it doesn't really do much for me other than kill time.