main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Bought Them All - the Figures, the Ships, even the LEGO! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 8, 2012.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've noticed a lot of people selling them on eBay as well. There's one seller in particular that has a huge variety. I tend to try and stay strictly original when I can, but this was a Squidhead pistol and I was more than willing to complete mine with a $1.00 repro.

I got my 6" Black Series Stormtrooper for my birthday. My friend told me a month ago that he'd gotten it because he didn't want me to buy it if I saw one at the store or break down and go online [face_laugh]. It's excellent BTW.

DarthWilliams likes this.
  2. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Happy (belated?) birthday! When was it? Mine was Wednesday.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thank you, and ditto! Hope it was a great one. Mine was Thursday. Hit the big four oh.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002

5. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Happy b-day! Hope it was a good one! Stormtrooper is a great present!!

6. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thank you! Yeah, I was stoked to get him because he's been M.I.A. at retail. He's really sharp.

I totally get that. I belong to some collector's groups on Facebook who think anything repro is the devil lol. For vehicle stickers I'm fine with it because I think brand new well made repro stickers look better than peeling, faded or torn originals. With weapons and cloaks for figures I'm pretty adamant about original most of the time, but I think I paid like $1.00 for that repro Squidhead pistol vs. $4-5 for an original and I thought "You know what? He's Squidhead for Pete's sake!". I have the original Kenner figures on three tiers; Tier one would be the original twelve, Boba Fett, any of the "Big three", etc. Tier two would be Cloud Car pilot, Hoth Rebel Soldier, etc. Tier three would be Squidhead, Rancor Keeper, 8D8 etc. For tier three figures I'm okay with repro if it saves me a few bucks.

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I love my six inch trooper! He's so cool!

I bought the 3.75 trooper today. Not as sharp as the big one. Also bought a vintage Collection Queen Amidala! I'm gonna have to pick up the qui-Gon at my wal-mart. I have an Obi-wan at home, so, screw it!

whostheBossk and Juke Skywalker like this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Post lady brought the July issue of the UK SW Comic magazine.

9. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    It's really whatever makes you happy with your collection. Having a spiffy new sticker as opposed to an old beat up peeling one, makes sense. I'm here to save money too (even though the last few months posts may not reflect that) and it's all about what can you get that you will be happy with and in the budget. For me, I am concentrating on the vintage line and would like to try to complete all my vintage figures with their original weapons/accessories. I kept all my older ships (from ebay '01 order), even though they were missing parts and instead of just buying a new complete ship or figure, I'm going to piece them together if its the last thing I do. It may take awhile, but it will be worth it and make the hobby last. I have the Steve Sansweet book at home (just met him again at Rancho Obi-wan on Monday, it was great) and love looking through it matching weapons/accessories up to where they go. I'm starting to get to the POTF2 line now. But vintage is the biggest for me and sticking with the 3.75inch line to help with the budget. If you can afford one figure/ship with repro and one with original, that's an idea too. Force will be with us no matter what!

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow, you got to meet Sansweet? That's awesome! He seems like a great guy, and he's definitely the best ambassador both Star Wars and collecting has.

I'm slowly but surely chipping away at my vintage Star Wars collection (and I collect more than just the toys). My problem is I collect too many different things. Anything 70s/80s--G.I. Joe, Masters of the Universe, M.A.S.K., video games, lunch boxes. The other day I bought a 70s Mego Captain Kirk figure with the intention of getting Spock and McCoy as well. I just can't stay focused.

whostheBossk and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  11. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Juke is like a golden retriever who has too many balls thrown at him at once - I don't know which one to go after but I want them all!!

whostheBossk and Juke Skywalker like this.
  12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh] You're not far off! I'm like a fly at a picnic. Bzzzz! *nibble on some mashed potatoes* Bzzzz! *nibble on some cake* Bzzzz! *nibble on some watermelon*

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hee hee. But that's how collectors can be though. You do have those who are strictly monogamous to their one collection, then others just get interested in many things. I have a massive Barbie & fashion doll collection to go with my Star Wars collection. The 2 rather merge harmoniously because my favorite thing of all in my Star Wars collection are my 12" figures. My large 3 3/4" figure collection exists out of nostalgia because I got the little figures as a kid, but my most beloved toys were my 12" Kenner Han, Luke, and Leia dolls.

When I go on a collecting kick I tend to focus entirely on one collection, then abruptly something will catch my attention elsewhere, I'll abandon what I'd been collecting and move to the other.

Currently I'm in agony because there's a new gorgeous 12" scale Tyrion Lannister figure (Game of Thrones) that's coming end of year and a stunning 12" Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly.) I REALLY don't need them - but OMG do I WANT THEM!

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not into A Game of Thrones, I'm afraid. Only other figures I have are Doctor Who-related. Picked up a Weeping Angel because I liked the episode Blink.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Phoenix Comicon is this weekend - no big Star Wars guests this year. I don't have tons of moola for autographs, but I'm hoping to get John Ratzenberger to sign a Derlin pic and John Rhys Davies to sign a Sallah pic! Woot!

16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I, Jedi. Been looking for it for a while now. Even though the books aren't canon anymore I'm still collecting and reading them. Nearly have all the Bantam books now. Just need a couple more.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There are a bunch of used copies of I,Jedi for sale in the Amazon UK Marketplace. And Amazon US has it in stock.

18. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Oh dear. Welcome me back to the SW action figure collecting world, gulp!

I've just purchased 2 X Star Wars:Clone Wars micro series Commemorative DVD Collection 3 packs. These are the ones with alternate Clone Troopers and Grievous, longer haired Obi-Wan and Anakin with the blue "slug" trail on his torso, etc.

I've been looking for a small series to get back into that hopefully won't break the bank and these animated style ones seem unique and manageable. Loved the art style of the original micro series. Nice UK seller on ebay let me have them for a relatively bargain price (compared to what I have seen them up for), and combined postage too.

19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, there's a nice synergy there.

Mmm-hmm. Same here. The good thing is it keeps things fresh. Just when I get burned out on Star Wars I get an itch for G.I. Joe. I just wish I could narrow my focus to two or three things instead of fifty.

I'm really glad they didn't put out a 6" line of GoT figures at mass retail or I'd have to add another room onto the house.
    Welcome back (I would say "Run! Flee!", but I don't want to be a hypocrite :p)

KeithyT likes this.
  20. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    I should have said shorter haired Obi-Wan in my post above.[face_blush]

21. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I'd just got it sorry if that post was misleading.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just got my shipment of soundtrack CD's in the mail!

TPM
    TPM UE
    AOTC
    ROTS
    ANH 97
    TESB 97
    ROTJ 97

Juke Skywalker and whostheBossk like this.
  23. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Cool I'd love the soundtracks but haven't seen them anywhere. What's the difference between those 2 TPM soundtracks you mentioned?

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I got all 7 of them for a combined 5 bucks off ebay lol. TPM UE is much closer to a complete score, whereas the normal TPM soundtrack is more of an independent listening experience.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    TPM Ultimate Edition has 2 discs and a book listing the contents of them. The book also has scenes from the film. Basically more music and a nice case. i wish they'd done a similar item for AOTC.