main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    You're Welcome. We start getting Young Adult Rebels books in July, they can be pre ordered on Amazon, and they l;ead into A New Dawn.

Ryus likes this.
  2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I already knew about those, but thanks for the info. Be keeping my eyes out for them ;)

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Deleted or not shot scenes from ROTJ

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I read that part... was just curious if there was anything more to it than that. Nothing more... ;)

5. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  6. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
  7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Funny enough, I loved it...

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hmmm... new Mara Jada product. Interesting... only a card but still (she's gotten quite a few cards from this company of late), thought most EU product had a halt order... Dash Rendar too... just spotted Ysanne Isard in there too and her division Internal Security Bureau is confirmed canon in the upcoming rebels series just like sienar fleet systems...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4869

I'm likely reading too much into this and its just product that was already in the pipe line, but still its odd so much EU content was coming out about some long dead EU characters... just woke up and felt like sharing my shock, lol.

dyous87 likes this.
  9. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi! This is my first post. (Long time lurker)

I really believe this rumor is true about the "Jedi Hunters" (who are most likely are inquisitors) and the plot. Now I'm somewhat familiar with the EU(Legends) but I had to look up the EU inquisitors. Seems there were two types.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisitorius#Known_Inquisitors

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Inquisitor

While I was reading up on them I ran across this: "The Inquisitors were also responsible for awakening Arden Lyn(a human woman) after a twenty-five millennia long sleep. " I thought wow twenty-five millennia thats "Ancient". After reading up on her and knowing another rumor is that the "Big Bad" of EP7 is going to be a woman and also that the rumored title for EP7 is "The Ancient Evil". Could be her as the ancient evil or a variation.

All of this make me think these rumors are mostly true. It's interesting and works within the background of the OT without messing with it.

And I'm calling it now.
    Max von Sydow is the Inquisitor from Rebels.

10. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I hope sydow isn't the rebels inquisitor. I don't want it to be impossible that the heroes take him out during the course of rebels.

dyous87 likes this.
  11. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Max: There is a bigger threat to the galaxy.
    Adam: What is it?
    Max: For centuries they were held in check by the Jedi; then brutally oppressed by the Empire. Now that they have swelled to unmanageable numbers and are free to roam the galaxy, they will go wherever their blood lust takes them. Once they have reached the resources of the core worlds, there will be nothing to prevent them from spreading and flourishing like a plague, consuming everything in their path. We will battle not for territory or power, but for our very lives. And once our sworn enemy has overpopulated and exhausted the galaxy's resources, their existence will fade as well. Like a flame with nothing left to burn.
    Adam: How do we stop them?
    Max: Stop them? It's already too late. It is the will of the force; a galactic cleansing necessary to start life anew.
    Adam: It'll be the end of our world as we know it.
    Max: Precisely. It will be the fulfillment of the most ancient of prophesies: the final reckoning. The end of days.

12. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I just want to say to the EU fans I kinda understand how you feel now Star Wars is just 1 of my scifi franchises 1 of my other franchises is rebooting Stargate and the tv franchise I loved will be wiped out of official canon it's kinda of a long and convoluted story on how this is happening but just wanted to say now I understand your anger and sadness now my fav part of Stargate is now an Alternate Universe but I do have all the dvds so many memories to relieve when ever I want

Ryus and Abadacus like this.
  13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah, the Stargate reboot looks bad IMHO. The guy who made the movie wants to finish off the trilogy he had planned (but will reboot his first). The movie was OK (more interesting idea), it really was the TV series that made that series as popular as it was however. Fans are still begging for a the shows to return, even the third show Universe (which I enjoyed after a few rough episodes).

As far as I'm concerned though the original movie and show are universe 1 (with 2 recasts but many other returning in cameos) and this new reboot is universe 2.

poundpuppy29 and Abadacus like this.
  14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    There's only ONE problem I have with the decanonization of the EU, and it is this: I don't know just how intricate this decanonization goes. The declaration that the six films, TCW, and now Rebels will be the only canon for the present (until the new films and books come along) was certainly clear enough, but how about the really little things?

I'll explain what I'm referring to with this example:

[​IMG]

Let's take a good look at this fellow here. From the moment he was introduced in 1977, his identifying tag was simply "Second Officer" or "Second Commander," depending on which edition of the script you could get your hands on. That sufficed for twenty years or so. Then, in the 1990s, the Decipher card game gave us a last name and confirmation of his rank: "Commander Praji." Cut to a decade later and he was gifted a first name as well: now he was "Commander Nahdonnis Praji," if you please. And not long after that we were given the complete history of his family from Creation onwards. We've come to know a lot about this man over forty years.

My question is this: does he go right back to being "Second Officer" and that's it? I can certainly understand, say, the entire family history having to be decanonized, even his own personal history outside of the events of ANH being decanonized, but is the decanonization process so extensive that he has no name at all again? Does decanonization extend to the point that ONLY things and people specifically identified on screen have names now? That's the only place where my understanding of all this breaks down, mostly because that part of it hasn't been clarified by anyone at LFL, and I'm not sure I have the right to expect that kind of clarification from them.

So quite possibly, Ponda Baba goes right back to being "Creature," his pal Evazan back to "Human," and everyone else in the cantina back to being, well, whatever the action figure packages said they were called. MAYBE.

Thoughts?

dyous87, Force Smuggler, Ryus and 2 others like this.
  15. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

Well, on the optimist's side, Leland Chee is part of the story group. He's been in charge of the Holocron Continuity Database, so I'm hoping it's his job to "pull forward" all these great details that don't affect Disney's new continuity. I don't think we'll be getting a NU Ponda Baba reference any time soon, but if/when we do, I doubt they'll bother changing his name when they can just ask Leland.
    On the pessimist's side, we don't know how much influence JJ has at this point, and he's never seemed even slightly interested in internal consistency, so I doubt he'll pay attention to details like how many fighters a certain ship carries or how many days it takes to get from one planet to another in hyperspace.
    To the many who don't spare much thought for such things, they won't care if it suddenly takes six hours to get from Coruscant to Tatooine in an old and slow civilian passenger ship - it doesn't matter as long as it's convenient for the storyteller - but for those of us who love immersing in detailed constructed worlds, and have years of Star Wars knowledge, it would be like showing the hero driving a minivan from LA to Yellowstone in one afternoon. It'd just take me right out of the story.

Thirdly, there's the distinct possibility they'll be changing such things... for no apparent reason. See the Korriban - Moriband change in TCW. When it comes to new names for minor planets, species, and characters, there may be some opportunity to change bad names (although the worst, Savage Opress, is new canon. Sigh) or tell new stories, but it mostly just seems pointless and frustrating. I hope they keep this to a minimum.

dyous87 and Ryus like this.
  16. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I suspect a lot of stuff is 'in flux' at the moment. Once the new movie is out, we'll be able to see what it does and does not contradict. That will no doubt help to clarify what, if anything can and cannot be confirmed/re-established as canon beyond just the movies, TCW and Rebels.

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Yeah like the old republic stuff. For the time being nothing is canon, but some stories don't hurt anyone. There are rumors that the next SWTOR expansion will tie in with Ep VII. I also have high hopes for the Plagueis novel but most likely everything after TPM is gone. I wouldn't mind the rest staying.

dyous87 likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's been 34 years, and we still know next to nothing about the Magical Ice Cream Man from ESB.[face_plain]

DarthBreezy, Pfluegermeister and Ryus like this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Wasn't he in Jingle All The Way?

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Really? Who'd he play?

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    He was fighting Arnie over Turbo Man.

22. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    That was Sinbad (not the sailor) fighting Arnie....

The Ice Cream man....now thats a name i havent heard in a while.....

Jedi Merkurian and Krueger like this.
  23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Missed a golden opportunity to quote obiwan there... so I fixed it for you. ;)

24. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003

I did, but i modded it because technically i only knew about that for a few years...for some reason i just never knew about it before. ...so it wasnt THAT long ago....

Ok..i have to ask...so lets say we are talking about the ST and how it ties in with the Legends expanded universe....but if the legends arent canon anymore...im trying to see what is the desired end result of this kind of hypothesizing?
    I feel like im missing something here...?

25. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Ok, he's one. We've been hearing a bit of rumors about black and chrone armor on set of VII. This could mean Vader copy outfits or it could mean things from the EU like Shadow Stormtroopers who had black armor and could cloak for short periods of time (and much more like the Clone Troopers could hit their targets unlike most stormtroopers). That's an element from the EU that VII may wish to borrow from. Shadow stormtroopers premeired in the Crimson Empire comics and later appeared in the book Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (well techinally they appeared in some comic strip in 1979 but became canon once Crimson Empire brought them in from those precanon stories). They appeared in several video games and have quite a few toys too.

The end result of this hypothesizing is three fold

A) some just want aspects they loved brought into Disney canon so they build theories around the desire.
    B) others hear something that sounds EUish and with nothing else to draw upon but the EU thinks 'hey, could they mean that thing from the EU?'
    C) other are just bored and play the what if, like 'what if Boba Fett is still alive like in the EU? he's no good to disney dead. So how would they keep him alive? Would the boba fett who got eaten be the real boba fett or a standin paid by jabba with the real ones permission... or does he blast his way to freedom from the sarlaccs stomach like in the EU"

I've personally done all three. Nothing wrong with it imho, we're all just bored and speculating to pass time until we get real news anyhow. The EU is often all we got to go on and disney did say parts of it would be used to inspire new canon, even if as a whole its no longer canon. Imho its kinda like the marvel star wars comics of the 70s-80s... all non-canon except those details the EU borrowed from once it started to get going. Disney owns all of it, so why not use it to fill out details of the new canon... theyre making a movie a year for the foreseeable future, so anything to help build a foundation for that universe is likely going to be considered to speed the production along. The Clone Wars show did the same thing, it treated the EU as a database of ideas, nothing more. They borrowed characters, ships, races, planets, backstories, new jedi powers, etc all the time but felt no need to do the same things with them once they started using them... they turned a jedi healer into a crazy terrorist bombed and a badass jedi into a loopy weird jedi (I personally wasn't bothered by either and liked both takes on the characters).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.