main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think Anakin fulfilled it, Striker, but I also don't believe he was conceived by rape or that his mother lied.

Anzeroth: I agree 100% with your first statement, not so certain on the second. :)

2. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Interesting.

But Yoda had dealt with Dooku before (and he was a Sith Lord).

3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I am willing to concede that, but I thought Dooku was a Dark Jedi and not a Sith Lord yet. He was Palpatine's apprentice no?

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think the Jedi were afraid at all and they would've been wise to have been. They were arrogant and blind and inflexible. These are part of how their own manner and actions brought their demise.

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  5. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

Regarding this issue, things are not so clear now.
    In the now-decanonised EU The Rule of Two dictated that the master and the apprentice were Sith Lords. However, this is not canon and thus we can only drawn conclusions from the PT and TCW. In both, Dooku was regarded as Lord and Darth. The former could have been a title based on the fact that he was a Count, but IMO the latter signifies that he is not regarded as a Dark Jedi, but a Sith Lord.

However, whether or not Dooku is a Dark Jedi revolves around the definition of what is considered a Dark Jedi?

Does Dark Jedi = A Jedi who has fallen to that Dark Side?, or
    = A Jedi who has fallen to that Dark Side and has aligned himself/herself with the Sith?

It all depends on how you perceive a Dark Jedi. The Jedi Council (I believe) perceived Dark Jedi, as Jedi who had fallen to the Dark Side, but had no affiliation with the Sith and desired death and destruction, in comparison to power and control of the Sith.
    If we take this definition, then Dooku is not a Sith Lord, but a Dark Jedi.

IMO, it is difficult to characterize Dooku at all. For me, he does not posses the traits of a Dark Jedi (according to the definition of the Jedi Order) but neither is a Sith Lord, like Maul and Palpatine. :)

EDIT: A bit of a rambling post and a bit out of topic, but I had to address the issue. :p

wobbits likes this.
  6. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

I agree.

IMO, if we look Order 66 completely cynically, then it helped the Jedi realise their mistakes and errors and how dire the consequences were. That's a new Jedi Order (not the EU one) would have been ten times stronger than the one of the PT.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think Dooku is Jedi or Sith, simply a Force-Sensitive that saw the PT Jedi Order get off track and left and because he wasn't stripped of his Force Sensitivity when he made that decision he's automatically relabelled a Sith. Yet, if you observe his manner he's virtually nothing like a Jedi or a Sith he admits what he is: grey, human. For me, he's the closest to correct of everyone.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    His matter is pretty like "a Sith" when talking to his master, Darth Sidious.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Äh, what?

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    From what I have read, Sith applies to most dark sider users now that the Sith race is all but extinct. Dark Jedi and Sith are the same except that a Dark Jedi left the Jedi Order to follow the teachings of the Sith. A Dark Jedi can be a Sith Lord and hold both titles. Essentially, Sith now means you follow the ideals and belief of the ancient race of Dark Siders.

11. yzerman19

yzerman19 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2014
    I watched TPM 11 times at the theater. And I loved it all 11 times!

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's awesome. :)

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Although you're open to interpret his behavior however you wish, it is factually incorrect to say that Dooku is only labeled a Sith because he left the Jedi Order. Within the films, we can see that he is the apprentice of the reigning Sith Lord and he has a Sith name.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Clone Troopers > Stormtroopers

15. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

That's hardly an unpopular opinion.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It might be unpopular with a few people (those who think stormtroopers are better) though.

An opinion can be both very popular and very unpopular at the same time.

17. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

True, but I think that for the majority of the Star Wars fans, Clone Troopers are regarded better than Stormtroopers. I may be wrong though...

18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but...

I like the Phase II clone Helmet more then the OT Storm Trooper Helmet.

It looks more intimidating IMO

Vizzy91, Maul95 and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

I agree. I think those costumes were made to be intimidating

Vizzy91 likes this.
  20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    - ANH is a fitting sequel to ROTS.

- Anakin's turn makes sense in light of what the six movies present. The speed of the turn reflects the nature of the darkside, the reasons for the turn on some levels are actually quite complex, and the way the Jedi speak of the darkside in the OT is consistent with what we are given in the prequels.

- TPM's seemingy childish emotional scenes (such as scenes between Anakin and Shmi) are some of the strongest in the movies, and only strengthen the dark turn the movies take.

- Despite some weaker parts of AOTC, Anakin and Padme are effectively presented tragically romantic characters.

- Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but Lando pretending to be angry with Han when they first meet in ESB makes no sense when Lando was already planning to betray them - "They arrived right before you did. I'm sorry."

- ANH's deathstar attack, while being arguably the strongest space battle in the films, takes too long.

- I prefer Leia in ESB/ROTJ to ANH.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Bounty Hunter Heshler

Bounty Hunter Heshler Jedi Knight

Jun 2, 2014
    (While obviously not as good as the OT)
    I actually enjoyed the prequels quite a bit...

(Braces for death)

FRAGWAGON and Iron_lord like this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    1. Qui-gon knew she was telling the truth about her. Just as he and Obi-wan knew that Padme wasn't a handmaiden by Queen Amidala.

"Throughout the film, I have been playing with the fact earlier on that Qui-Gon knows that Padme is the queen, and he uses that, especially when they go on Tatooine, he taunts her a couple of times, and in the podrace he taunts her a couple of times because he is having fun with her because he knows she’s the queen but the others around her don’t. So he’s been waiting for her to step forward and reveal herself. Anakin is completely surprised but Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon aren’t."

--George Lucas, TPM DVD Commentary.

2. Anakin is the one who fulfills the prophecy.

"The thing of it is: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the chosen one, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the one ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221

"We do reveal that Dooku is Darth Tyranus, he's a Sith Lord, and that he's in league with Darth Sidious and Darth Sidious is pulling all the strings and everything is going just the way he wants them to go. The Emperor continues to pull the strings."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

He was a Sith.

Dark Jedi only exist in the EU. The term was invented due to Timothy Zahn not knowing what a Sith was. He originally envisioned them as a creature which was then renamed Norghi at the insistence of Lucasfilm. Kevin J. Anderson and Tom Veitch would introduce the Sith species in their work, from which the fallen Jedi who left the Jedi Order took their name and became Sith Lords. It would be Lucas himself who confirmed that Palpatine was a Sith as he was not originally written that way. He was first an old man who was emperor and then a master of the dark side, who employed the Sith as his henchmen.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's "Not-Sith Fallen Jedi" in TCW - Krell, Barriss Offee.

"Dark Jedi" is a reasonable "shorthand" term for those.

Emperor Ferus and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    To each their own. :)

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    So, what's your interpretation of Dooku?

Is he an infiltrator - pretending to be a Sith to convince the rest of the galaxy, including Palpatine, that he is one - until the time is right and he can stab Palpatine in the back and Save The Galaxy?