main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Palpatine's Lightsabers?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    How many lightsabers did Palpatine have?

We see him with two in the Lawless and two in ROTS. However, the two in the Lawless don't seem to be the same as the ones in ROTS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sabres in Lawless seem identical to the first lightsaber Palpatine used in ROTS. However, Palpatine's second lightsaber in ROTS is a black version of his first blade. This doesn't seem to jive with continuity, as the two blades in Lawless were identical. Did Palpatine have three sabres, perhaps? The two gold and silver ones as seen in Lawless and ROTS, and a black backup blade in ROTS.

I suppose it's possible that Palpatine decided to paint one of his silver lightsabers black after he finish dealing with Maul and Savage, but why would he do that?

Any thoughts on the many lightsabers of Darth Sidious?

Palpatine77 and Darth Dnej like this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    The black one in the photo was a Master Replicas .45 scale Best Buy exclusive. They had multiple exclusives that were repaints of lightsabers shown in the film. They had a version for Anakin that was the same color as well. As such, it is not canon or even intended to be taken as such. The lightsabers Palpatine had in ROTS were intended to both be identical. One goes out the window when he defeats Mace (and is presumably lost, unless it was retrieved afterward), and the second appears when he fights Yoda. Again, these are likely to be different but could possibly be the same.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, the reason for the two Lightsabers is much simpler.

[​IMG]

Originally, Anakin chooses to join Palpatine rather than go back to the Temple. When the Jedi Posse arrive, Anakin refuses to move away from Palpatine and this results in Palpatine using Anakin's Lightsaber to fight the Jedi. The duel ends with Anakin's saber falling towards Anakin and not out the window. He then uses it against Mace. Lucas re-shot this scene and most of Act II, in order to set up the story as we know it now. Portions of the duel was altered with inserts of Palpatine's own Lightsaber in hand, rather than Anakin's, though you can still see it in a few shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TCW kept the two sabers which is why they appear in season five to remain consistent with the one that fell out the window and the other which is dropped in the Senate rotunda.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  5. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The color issue has confused me. Perhaps Palpatine did have 3 lightsabers.

To be honest, I don't think Palpatine should use lightsabers to begin with. He's above that sort of thing.

darklordoftech and Sarge like this.
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It was supposed to be blue during the duel as originally planned and filmed in 2003. The changes were made in 2004.

7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Darth Dnej, I humbly disagree. Sidious is not beneath using a Lightsaber. Sabers are weapons of Jedi and Sith alike. You cannot wield the Force indefinitely without exhausting the shell (body) of the user. A Lightsaber is the other part of a Force Users combat.

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It's just a freaking lightsaber. Why does it matter how many he had? He could have had dozens for all we know.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Or you could just not read this thread. The question was asked because the original poster didn't notice the word exclusive on the two different prop replica stands and most likely isn't familiar with the idea of exclusive variants designed for both collectors and to draw in business for a particular store.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    In regards to prop color vs blade color, I think the prop sabers are random colors and they add blade color after. Jackson's prop isn't purple after all.
    I could be wrong though

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The prop blades are colored according to where the scenes are filmed. Because of the blue screen used for Palpatine's office, the green blades with a red tip were used so that they remain visible for rotoscoping. If they were blue, they'd disappear completely. The finished blade is whatever Lucas decides except for the Sith and the characters whose sabers carry over to the OT.

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He probably had several over the years. I love the scene in TCW with his double lightsabers -- wish we saw that in ROTS.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Really now? I was under the impression that the actors were allowed to choose which hilt they liked, assuming that it would not show up in the OT

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    As far as we know, he was supposed to have two. One of the things I like about TCW is how it addresses certain continuity issues. I believe this scene was a direct response to two different lightsabers being used in ROTS. Not to mention why he would have two [near] identical sabers in the first place (typically, new sabers take on a noticeably different shape, like Anakin's and Obi-Wan's). This showed that they were likely made around the same time, and partially made with dual-weilding in mind.

I could be wrong, but I believe one of the sabers in The Clone Wars was different. From the picture, you can see bolts on the right that aren't on the left. It's been said that the ROTS sabers are different, but only that first picture has been used as evidence (since disproven). Just like the small differences with stunt sabers and whatnot, I think the differences are negligible, and it was intended to be identical.

Seagoat: for the hilts, the actors do choose. At least for the the main characters. For everyone else, I'm sure they just hand them out to whoever (hence the continuity error with Mace's lightsaber in the first movie). Also, here's Ewan McGregor choosing his:

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The hilts, yes. The blade rods need to be green or red for tracking on post-production.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Oh, I thought it was blade color. In terms of hilts, a box was presented to the four leads in TPM and they hand picked what they wanted. The extras had to use whatever was available. I don't know how those were distributed. Hayden had to take what was given in AOTC and Jackson had a new one made up for that film as well. He hand picked his saber for TPM, but someone later photo shopped a different saber which appeared in magazines.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I liked the idea that Sidious has a black-hilted lightsaber. It makes him seem to be above other Sith. For the same reason, I think that he should have had a unique blade color.

For this reason, I don't think that Palpatine needed a saber, but rather used sabers for show or to fake weakness.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Being above it doesn't mean that he's stupid. He's powerful as we saw when he fought Maul and Savage like he did, but he's also smart enough to know that some opponents require a different approach.

19. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I thought the beginning of that fight made it clear that the only reason he was fighting them with lightsabers is because it amused him to do so.

darklordoftech and rumsmuggler like this.
  20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000

He did seem like he was enjoying the moment quite a bit.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He laughed when he fought Yoda, as well. The only time he didn't was against Mace and the Jedi Posse.

Marco1907 likes this.
  22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Probably because that fight was the one that was the most important for him and the Sith Order. If Mace had somehow killed Palpatine there and then, the Grand Plan of the Sith would have been stopped. Palpatine had to live in order to turn Anakin and issue Order 66. By the time Yoda faced Sidious, the Sith had already won and the Jedi were all but extinct. As for Maul and Savage, while they were extremely powerful in their own right, they didn't really have a chance of actually beating Darth Sidious.

Besides, kicking the Sith brothers around the palace was just as much fun as throwing the Senate at Yoda. If you were Palpatine, wouldn't you laugh too?

Palpatine77 likes this.
  23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Maybe Sidious takes the Rule of Two a little too seriously.

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Can we really infer anything based on that fact alone?

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What I don't think we can infer is that he's "above" the use of a lightsaber. He's powerful with the Force, but one doesn't exclude the other.

rumsmuggler likes this.