main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO E3 2014 (June 9th-12th) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 3, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For overall discussion of the event in general, as well as announcements for the various platforms before we splinter off discussion to their respective threads.

Current schedule:

Monday:
    9:30am PST/12:30pm EST- Microsoft Conference
    12:00pm PST/3:00pm EST- EA Conference
    3:00pm PST/6:00pm EST- Ubisoft Conference
    6:00pm PST/9:00pm EST- Sony Conference

Tuesday:
    9:00am PST/12:00pm EST- Nintendo Digital Event (via e3.nintendo.com)
    11:35am PST/2:35pm EST to 4:00pm PST/7:00pm EST- Nintendo Treehouse: Live @E3 (via Twitch)
    4:00pm PST/7:00pm EST- Super Smash Bros Invitational Tournament
    7:00pm PST/10:00pm EST to 8:30pm PST/11:30pm EST- Super Smash Bros Developer Q&A Presentation

Wednesday:
    9:15am PST/12:15pm EST to 6:00pm PST/9:00pm EST- Nintendo Treehouse: Live @E3 (via Twitch)
    4:00pm-9:00pm local- Super Smash Bros Smash Fest @ Best Buy (event location listings)
    6:00pm PST/9:00pm EST to 7:30pm PST/10:30pm EST- Unknown New 3DS Title Developer Q&A Presentation

Thursday:
    9:30am PST/12:30pm EST to 5:00pm PST/8:00pm EST- Nintendo Treehouse: Live @E3 (via Twitch)

Saturday:
    12:00pm-5:00pm local- Super Smash Bros Smash Fest @ Best Buy (event location listings)

I'll be adding in any other event times as I come across them- if you know of any I'm missing, post the info and I'll add it.

For those interested, here is the full Twitch schedule of game demos (I'll keep it as spoilers just so it's collapsible and won't make this unwieldy):

Monday 6/9 PT:
    9:30am - Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing​
    11:00am - Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing Post show​
    11:30pm - Hotline Miami 2 (Dennaton Games/Devolver Digital)​
    12:00pm - EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Preview​
    1:00pm - EA Special Event​
    2:00pm - EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Post show​
    2:30pm - Bethesda (Unannounced title)​
    3:00pm - Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing​
    4:00pm - Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing Post show​
    4:30pm - Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED)​
    5:00pm - Dying Light (Techland)​
    5:30pm - Final thoughts​
    6:00pm - PlayStation E3 2014 Press Conference​
    Tuesday 6/10 PT:
    9:00am - Nintendo Digital Event​
    10:00am - Deep Silver (Unannounced title)​
    10:15am - Deep Silver (Unannounced title)​
    10:30am - Dragon Age: Inquisition (EA)​
    11:00am - Ubisoft (Unannounced title)​
    11:20am - The Division (Ubisoft)​
    11:40am - Farcry 4 (Ubisoft)​
    12:00pm - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision)​
    12:20pm - Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)​
    12:40pm - Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)​
    1:00pm - DRIVECLUB (SCEA)​
    1:20pm - Evil Within (Bethesda)​
    1:40pm - Lords of the Fallen (NAMCO)​
    2:00pm - Destiny (Activision/BUNGIE)​
    2:20pm - The Order: 1886 (SCEA)​
    2:40pm - Nintendo (Unannounced title)​
    3:00pm - Evolve Special Tournament (2K)​
    4:00pm - Super Smash Bros. Invitational (Nintendo)​
    Wednesday 6/11 PT:
    10:00am - Alienware​
    10:30am - Twitch Time​
    11:00am - Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac Games/Microsoft Studios)​
    11:20am - Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)​
    11:40am - Killer Instinct: Season Two (Iron Galaxy/Microsoft Studios)​
    12:00pm - Square Enix (Unannounced title)​
    12:20pm - Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade (Square Enix)​
    12:40pm - H1Z1 (Sony Online Entertainment)​
    1:00pm - EA (Unannounced title)​
    1:20pm - Batman: Arkham Knight (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)​
    1:40pm - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)​
    2:10pm - Nintendo (Unannounced title)​
    2:30pm - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)​
    2:50pm - Crytek (Unannounced title)​
    3:00pm - SCEA (Unannounced PS4/PS3 title)​
    3:15pm - SCEA (Unannounced PS4/PS Vita Digital title)​
    3:30pm - Hohokum (Honeyslug, SCE Santa Monica Studio)​
    3:45pm - Helldivers (Arrowhead Game Studios/Sony Computer Entertainment)​
    4:00pm - Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly/SEGA)​
    4:20pm - Civilization: Beyond Earth (2K)​
    4:40pm - Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition on PS4 (Blizzard)​
    5:00pm - Evolve Special Tournament (2K)​
    Thursday 6/12 PT:
    10:00am - Tetris w/creator Alexey Pajitnov​
    10:15am - Zombies Monsters Robots (Ying Pei Games)​
    10:30am - Guinness World Records - certificate presentation​
    11:00am - Fable Legends (LionHead/Microsoft Studios)​
    11:20am - Microsoft Studios (TBD)​
    11:40am - Project Spark (Team Dakota/Microsoft Studios)​
    12:00pm - Nintendo (Unannounced title)​
    12:20am - Square Enix (Unannounced title)​
    12:40pm - PlanetSide 2 PS4 Edition (Sony Online Entertainment)​
    1:00pm - 505 Games (TBD) 1:20pm - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)​
    1:40pm - Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Gearbox/2K)​
    2:00pm - Ubisoft (Unannounced title)​
    2:20pm - The Crew (Ubisoft)​
    2:40pm - Nintendo (Unannounced title)​
    3:00pm - Tecmo Koei (Unannounced title)​
    3:20pm - Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes (Disney Interactive)​
    3:40pm - SEGA Sonic BOOM! (SEGA)​
    4:00pm - Evolve Special Tournament (2K)​

Life and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh boy, predictions time!

Microsoft emphasizes their "new" focus on "core gamers" in contrast to their previous multimedia device angle. There will be lots of talk about the "new", Kinect-free Xbone, with subtle hints of "Oh god please buy our machine please please please." Sony, reveling in its console war domination, gives a circa 2008 Nintendo-style "We're rich as ****" talk. Inconvenient Vita sales information and broader corporate issues won't be mentioned. Nintendo continues to overemphasize the WiiU at the expense of the vastly more successful 3DS. A localization of Dragon Quest VII is not announced, leading a certain Head Admin to hit the bottle.

Life, Ender Sai, Nobody145 and 4 others like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With most previously announced major titles for the PS4 & XB1 having been delayed into 2015, I think you're going to see them double down on the few that are still hitting by year's end, re-emphasize titles that have already been released, and raise the profile of smaller games that will fill in the gap for the rest of the year.

Although you'll still see plenty of 2015 previews in between, I suspect they're going to want to make 2014 look better than it actually will be.

From Nintendo, I expect release dates for Smash, Hyrule Warriors, X & Bayonetta 2. And a ton of NFC details.

MK8 DLC also seems like a likely announcement, as well as release details for the GCN Adapter.

I'm hoping for a Zelda teaser announcement, a new IP, VC expansion (GCN in particular), the long-delayed Tivo integration and, in general, them starting to deliver on their promise of focusing more on ways games can take full advantage of the GamePad (insert my usual "future of gaming" analysis).

Draconarius and Ramza like this.
  4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    3DS Metroid. I guess that's more of a wish, though.

I honestly think this is going to be more of the same we've had the past two years, with a lot of hype for products that aren't very exciting. Except for Batman, because he's Batman.

Geoff Keighley will sit on the Doritos Throne and rule over all of the Seven Kingdoms of Doritos and then provide commentary on "The Industry" that we already all can do for ourselves.

Reggie will probably have some dumb reveal of a new walking stick for Cranky Kong.

David Cage will talk about polygons and emotions.

I'd like to see everyone pushing new IPs and ideas, but the money just isn't there, it would seem.

Life, Ender Sai, Draconarius and 2 others like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Added the two night time developer Q&A presentations from Nintendo to the list.

6. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    E3 is always great especially when its not. All the game news is exciting and all, but the real joy comes from watching rich people embarrassing themselves in front of everyone. The more awkward the better.

Life likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wonder if The Last of Us will get a release date for the PS4 announced

8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Most certainly, and I'd be willing to bet it'll have the UC4 beta too.

Very excited for E3 this year. Especially the next Resident Evil!

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm hoping for another Smash trailer, possibly another new character. Not sure if there's any room left on the roster- many of the regulars have been confirmed, as well as the third party ones like Mega Man and Sonic, but I still expect a new trailer at least. Also half expecting the Wii U version to be delayed until 2015, but the 3DS version should be out this year, though I'm not sure they can make a summer release date.

I usually like Nintendo's Direct presentations, and expect a few reveals, although it'll probably be more of the same- some Smash, maybe another Mario platformer this year, Zelda Dynasty warriors, small glimpse of Zelda Wii U and possibly a name or a theme, and a Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire trailer and news.

This year's dueling conferences (Sony and Microsoft) probably won't be quite as exciting, at least compared to last year and Sony's arguable win. The multiplatform games will probably have a trailer at one or both conferences (Arkham Knight will probably still get a lot of airtime, despite being delayed until next year, but probably still before the next E3). Sony's PS4 is doing well, I think, but overall the Sony company is not doing well, so not sure if they'll try to preempt Microsoft with a price drop to the PS4 yet. The Vita hasn't made much of an impact (with that not likely to change), and Microsoft will be reminding people of the new Kinect-less cheaper XB1 as much as possible. Sunset Overdrive will probably get another trailer.

And Last Guardian will be either cancelled or "still in progress". Uncharted 4 will probably hinted at or announced (though not so sure about Naughty Dog these days), as well as a release date for the Last of Us PS4 port. Possibly a sequel, though I hope not, the game itself is excellent as is. Both Sony and Microsoft will probably announce several ports of older games (either for last gen or current gen) to fill the gaps until they're done with more current gen games.

I'm hoping for another Final Fantasy XV trailer, with more new footage, but still not expecting the game itself until 2015 or 2016 at the rate Square Enix has been working the last decade. Kingdom Hearts 3 will probably be mentioned as "existing" with more focus on the 2.5 port. Maybe announce a few more ports of their older classics. FFX-3 is a longshot (and a nightmare) but I wouldn't put it past them, after how the X/X-2 Remastered did. It'll probably be years until they can even get to the "vague, mysterious, cryptic trailers" that preceded Kingdom Hearts 2.

A Halo 2 port hasn't been announced yet, has it? I expect that will come along sooner or later, either for the 360 or more likely the XB1. Or were there rumors of a Halo collection already? I don't follow Halo that closely, but that's the Xbox's top franchise probably.

Wonder how much Star Wars there'll be at the EA conference. Last year they did a brief Battle of Hoth trailer, this year they'll probably do... another Battle of Hoth trailer. :p Since its not like anyone in the game industry cares about anything other than the Battle of Hoth. Not even sure they'll bother to bring up SWTOR during their conference. Is it time for Ubisoft to start pushing their next Assasin's Creed game? And no idea how Watch Dogs ended, but I wouldn't be surprised if they announced Watch Dogs 2, because why not.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't forgotten about The Last Guardian. Every year I hope for some news on it. :p

Wi-Phi and Life like this.
  11. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I'm looking forward to Battlefront, and I'm hoping we get announcements for the Visceral and BioWare Star Wars games and the game I am most excited about would be Red Dead 3, so I hope that gets announced.

12. Gamma626

May 6, 2014

-sighs-

Remember when Square was just Square, and they didn't have Enix attached? Back when they made great games? I miss those days.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I agree except make that about Enix.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I hope CliffyB talks more smack about other creators only for literally everyone to ask what he's showing at E3.

Also Antonio Banderas backing the XBone and doing that hand thing in reference to Sony collectively entering panic mode.

Actually, I'd like to hear people say positive thing about Microsoft this year instead of repeating the same talking points ad nauseum while Sony spirals the drain.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Far Cry 4, you say?

Also, the Bethesda title - new Fallout?

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That or the inevitable expansion to TESO.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

That'd be pretty blood quick turnaround...

18. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yup, tell that to the worldwide leaders of current gen. They're laughing all the way to the bank. Which console has had price drops so far? Which one has had numerous bundles go on sale to clear them out? Sony is in deep **** with everything but their gaming division. MS is the opposite. The Xbox Division needs some serious help.

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    What I'm saying is Microsoft has made moves to improve their console's reception. I'd like to see some fair reporting on that front, but I know I'm barking up the wrong tree because it's the vidya jernalizme.

Life likes this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Made moves, yes, but they haven't yet paid off with improved sales (Q3 ends this month, we might find out more then). Microsoft's console division is already controversial amongst its shareholders and it is really easy to see these "improvements" as desperation plays. Last year we saw what a confident Microsoft was willing to do, and that kind of nonsense results in long-term PR repercussions.

And while there are certainly some salient points to be made about Sony's overall financial health (If you can call it health. Life support status?) I don't really want to see vidyayame jernalizms attempt an assessment there. They proved back in May that they wouldn't know what they were doing.

Life likes this.
  21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    True enough. The whole industry is frustrating at this point.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This one made me LOL, especially after the Reggiebot promo video Nintendo did with Mega64.

[​IMG]

23. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I wonder how many time games will freeze this year. :p

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    First potential E3 leak: A stylus-based Mario Maker game:

[​IMG]

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, let me pick up my jaw after having watched the E3 Witcher 3 trailer.....