main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, a dislike button in the future? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthTunick , Jun 2, 2014.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Nah, they've still got a rather decent chance of... but that's a point to be made elsewhere. :p

Malcolm Reynolds likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Reddit lurker and occasional poster here. Came here to say this.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Ctrl+F'd to see if anyone had posted this. Was not disappointed.

Edit: Wow! Thanks for the gold!

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All the feels.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is a dumb idea, because if somebody disliked a post I made, I'd hope they'd tell me why, and generate some sort of discussion about it, instead of clicking a button and accomplishing nothing.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I also "dislike" this idea. :p

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

"dislike" [face_clown]

Juliet316 and GGrievous like this.
  8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

While that certainly would happen on some occasions, you make it seem like the alternative wouldn't occur, and I don't think that would be the case.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So could liking, in a way. If a "dislike" button makes a person feel insulted, that same person not getting likes when others do could also feel hurt.

The thing is with likes, upvotes, karma, etc, is that all really just boils down to a popularity contest. I mean, not every like or dislike is given because of how awesome a person is or isn't, but they send very clear messages, especially once someone accumulates a ton of likes/dislikes.

Basically what I'm saying is that dislikes are no more harmful than likes, theoretically speaking.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting you think so. I disagree.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I almost disagree with myself. In theory, likes are always positive while dislikes are always negative, but there's so many factors that go into the proceedings that you can't account for every scenario. I'm not exactly saying there's people who take issue with a lack of likes, but you never know. Just trying to cover all the bases here. ;)

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't think I necessarily agree with that assessment, Todd. To me, a like is a quick indication of approval - whether it be because a post was funny, or you agree, or you think it's a particularly good addition to the conversation, or whatever. It replaces what, in ye olde days, would've been a pointless +1 or "This" post. A dislike, by contrast, doesn't really have that natural association - it shows disapproval or disagreement, but 9 times out of 10 you want to verbalize that disagreement, and it just gets redundant. Sure, in a perfect world people would only karma vote based on, like, relevance to the topic at hand, but that never happens. Instead it's just a way of getting in a quick shot before the more elaborate one.

As for people feeling insulted, I do agree that it's a non-issue in a certain sense, but I think not getting a like has less sting than someone actively telling you to shove it the way a dislike does.

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Upvote

Although I do see what Todd the Jedi means because that point was often posted on LACWAC.

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The problem with the like button is that it makes me lazy and I abuse it. If i agree with someone, but am too lazy to say anything in reply, I just hit the like button and call it a day.

15. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    Yeah...but also it is a way to give some feedback to a story that is okay, but there is nothing that really stands out. I hate just saying "Nice update" (I spend most of my time in fanfiction).

But this is about a "Dislike" button. Over at fanfiction that is called "zero responses". I think their policy of 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything' is a good one.

16. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I would like to add my vote against a "dislike" button (or some equivalent). If someone wants to disagree with a point someone has made by explaining their different view on that point in an actual post, they can of course already do that. But IMO just being able to "dislike" something by itself (with no actual responding post required) has the potential to come off as unwelcoming to new members or just too negative/rude in general (though I don't in any way think that was DarthTunick's intention in suggesting it as a possibility--I've found him to be quite friendly and welcoming to newer posters such as myself).

In short, I'd like to see the JCF remain as friendly and welcoming as possible, and I think adding a "dislike" option might take away from that.

17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm a member of a Walking Dead fan forum and they have like, dislike, and thank you buttons. That forum isn't very strict and they allow fighting as long as it doesn't get too out of control. The dislike function over there adds to some good fun, but it's a totally different kind of place. Horror fans are much more aggressive. I personally like the aggression over there but I don't like it when it comes to my Star Wars. I know I'm really new here still, but I don't think a dislike button would fit well here. I do think a thank you button for helpful posts would be a welcome function, though. Just thought I'd add my cent and a half.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  18. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I appreciate the thought towards it, but I could see it getting trolly. Simply put, something bad could come out of someone getting disliked, but on the other hand, no one is going to throw a fit because someone liked their post.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. I "liked" that post. :p

SlashMan and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I read your name, at first, as Penisvia.