main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Reboot Question

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jair Crawford, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    I decided this thread should have it's own topic, after discussing it a bit in the PT thread on the rumor of the PT being sacked.

(I did a search and there seemed to be no threads specifically on this issue, and this seemed to be the best place for it.)

I've heard a lot of people here speculate that Disney, at some point in the future, is likely to reboot the entire film series. PT, OT, and all.

These are my thoughts. First of all, we know that George Lucas decided to sell to Disney. We also know that George trusts Disney as the best company to move the saga forward under a new generation of film-makers. He also said that he "could just sell to someone else" if he wanted, implying that they did comply with his wishes when they signed the contract.

Now, I simply just can't see George selling the series without including some sort of clause in the contract that would protect the integrity of the films that he's made so far in the saga.

Also, Disney has described the films as well as TCW to be "immovable" in the franchise. Now, to me, this implies contractual obligations to keep the films, well, immovable.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but if (yes I do realize that there is a possibility that George may not have put in such a clause in the contract, although why he wouldn't do that, I would have no idea) this were to be the case, then Disney must adhere to the contracts and would not be allowed to do a total reboot, unless the contract was to be altered, in which they would have to approach George about it. Is this correct? Or are contracts more complicated than that? lol

Basically what do you guys think? I think assuming that there will definitely be a reboot in the future is jumping to a huge conclusion. But I'm not gonna say that it's impossible.

I do know one thing though... most of us would probably be saddened by a reboot of the saga. I know I would be.

(You thought I was gonna say that the negotiations were short... didn't you? :p ... eh ... you didn't? Oh... well... nevermind then...)

2. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The only thing I would look forward to in a remake would be to get a saga that is more visually and thematically consistent, because a remade saga would take advantage of the fact that the entire thing is already mapped out.

Other than that one small thing, I hate everything about the idea of remaking the films. To me that's like remaking the Godfather, or Citizen freaking Kane. Movies that are merely remembered for being good stories can be remade, movies that are remembered potently as works of significant creative vision cannot. To rebuild it with someone else's vision would mean it would cease to be Star Wars.

Besides, when Disney bought the franchise, they bought 25,000 plus years of galactic history that they can do pretty much whatever they want with. Why squander that on remaking a story that people already cherish?

CoolyFett and Jair Crawford like this.
  3. Jair Crawford

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree completely. There's so much more that can be covered. A remake is totally unnecessary. I'd rather see more cool spinoffs and some movies that take place in different eras on new planets that we haven't ever seen before. I'd take that any day over a rehashing of what we already have.

4. chris skywalker

chris skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2014
    Got an outline it is called star wars episode 4: a new dawn it will resemble the rough draft in its scale and epicness

The film begins with the classic "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" the song plays with the same music and crawl. The opening begins with 3 ships in the middle of a battle chasing after the iconic rebel ship. The ship is attacked almost like in the film (with cgi effects and a more dynamic scene), the escape pods break out and the desert scene is remade almost shot for shot. But the twist is that leia knows its her father.

The entire space ordeal is observed from the planet's surface by Luke and his elder twin Kalo sky-walker. The scene shows the scenery which is grander then it was in the original film. They go home to their uncle and aunt and tell them what they saw. Knowing the boys enthusiasm for the empire Uncle Lars tells them to wait for the right time before making a decision and that he needs crops and a droid.

They go to town where they are greeted by Watto (episode 1 and 2) he mistakes Luke for Anakin sky-walker telling him that he grew to be a great warrior. They try elsewhere and see one of the Jawa tanks. R2d2 is narrowly bought and convinces the brothers to buy his friend. C3po and r2d2 go to the Lars home where Kalo discovers the Leia transmission. Luke and Kalo are instantly curious, and r2d2 runs away. Luke and Kalo go looking for the droid; they spot the sand people and to the terror are intercepted by one hiding behind a rock. It calls the others and knocks them down.

The sand people are scared by a cloaked man who attacks them with his blue light-saber killing several and scares off the rest (they think he is Anakin who slaughtered most their people in episode 2). They Luke and Kalo thank the old man, he introduces himself as obi wan Kenobi. They meet at his house where they show him the message. He tells them about the clone wars. He then gives Luke his father's light-saber and helps Kalo make his own. They hesitate and with reluctance return home. To their horror the farm is destroyed by imperials. Crying Luke and Kalo return to Obi Wan to learn the ways of the force.

They train for a few weeks learning techniques and reading scrolls where both twins' characters will showcase their personality and differences while this is happening they learn of the chosen one prophecy but don't pay much mind to it.

Obi wan and the boys go to mos-eisley where they meet the smuggler Han solo and Chewbacca. Luke gets in a fight where the three get into a fight leading to several arms being cut off. Han is impressed and decides to take them on the ride. Leia is interrogated regarding the rebel plans. She hates her father because he murdered her foster family.

Obi wan and the twins are taking to the millennium falcon where they are attacked by the imperials. Obi wan is distressed by the thought of flying and tries to meditate but they are chased by star destroyers through hyperspace. They shoot at the tie fighters and damaged some star destroyers. Obi wan makes a judgment call and calls one of the ships. He tells them that Luke is Vader's son, afraid of the prospect of the destroying the ship they fly away. Vader himself is informed of the child and looks out the window in silence. The song padmes rumination plays in the background as he looks into space. They destroy alderran with in front of Leia.

The gang arrives seeing the planets sun and asteroids. They chase a tie fighter and a dot growing and growing (that's no moon) the shoot goes to the death star where the song Anakin's dark deeds plays in the background. They are pulled into the terrible weapon and must get out. They must destroy the beam; the gang goes through much of the same routine (Vader's scene where he senses obi wan is expanded to include a small fainted yell of obi wan saying "you were my brother Anakin"). Obi wan and Kalo have a warm conversation saying soon that Luke's wellbeing will be in his hand. He departs from Luke and Kalo and tells them the famous line (May the force be with you always). He leaves and the twins find out the location of the princess. They go and Luke saves the princess, with light-sabers blazing they cut and shoot down clone troopers (they are like in the clone wars and 2 and 3 where they can actually aim and hit). They are separated and Luke is put in trouble. Obi wan Kenobi plants a bomb on the tracker beam generator. While making his way to Vader he is stopped by a clone trooper named Rex. He is conflicted and argues with obi wan, obi wan is able to convince him that the empire is a product of the dark side and cannot bring any lasting peace. Disillusioned because of the death stars ruthless destruction of leia's home world he lets him go. He meets Darth Vader and engages in a duel. The duel will utilize the nova-star and Caine light-saber system of combat (minimal kicks and punches). Same dialogue slightly expanded and altered but with the same timeless quality as its original. Kalo reunites with Luke and meet Han and Leia. Obi wan and Vader reach the climax where he sacrifices himself and Luke screams they deflect blaster bolts. The big four, are chased in the scene that will combine iconic scene with new ones. They go into hyperspace and escape. They arrive on Yavin 4 where they are exhausted. There they catch their breathe. the political scene is shown in Coruscant where we see the imperials destroy the council. A sith inquisitor (star wars rebels) finds the base and the battle begins. The death star plans are utilized and the pilots go into action but are attacked by the inquisitor(rebels) and his troops. Luke takes out one while he goes into the ship. Kalo demonstrates his strength and takes on the troops head on. While he battles and space fight rage, it's bigger than in the other film it will for the most part be original. The fleet are for the most part destroyed while Luke struggles in the trench against the ruthless Vader. Kalo and the inquisitor Fight savagely and proving stronger and more powerful Kalo kills him. once Kalo tastes darkness he wants more. Han shows up in the last minute and shoots at Vader causing him to drift but gain control back. Luke shoots the hole using his talents in the force and flies off. The station blows up in a more epic fashion (with the same song). The twins are rewarded and go to the throne room where Luke Han Kalo and Chewbacca get their medal with horns playing in the background the twins smile at eachother realizing its a whole new world they stepped in to. The credits roll but in the middle we see a someone watching an opera. We realize that it is palpatine

It will change so that it may be more different, the second one will be titled reign of the dark side. The pt will then come wrapping up with a epic conclusion titled either balance of the force or destiny of the jedi

5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I would love to see an animation remake of the main 6 movies, but a shorter version. The 13 hours of movie in episodes 1-6 can easily be shortened to a 9 hour 3 disc animation feature. Id never want to see another live action reboot though,

6. chris skywalker

Jun 3, 2014
    Depends because this animated reboot can exploit the fact that the preQuels and originals are mapped out. Maybe this will create 2 version of star wars

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I don't see any need to remake or reboot the original 3 films. Thats a recipe for disaster IMO, the originals are too iconic to be remade and the story retold a different way. It doesn't seem right to be able to rewrite the history books and start those again. I hope that GL has Disney in handcuffs with regards to the films he's made.

However what they can do is add films that still feature all the characters from the OT, with different actors obviously, and they can go wherever they want in between SW and ROTJ with new adventures. In addition they could also do the same with the PT. Which to some degree is where I think the spin offs will go in years to come once the ST is out of the way.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    OT remakes would be a disaster.

TOSCHESTATION and Jair Crawford like this.
  9. chris skywalker

Jun 3, 2014
    If done terribly yes but a saga reboot can actually introduce a new generation to star wars. The biggest advantage would be that with a mapped out tone and style of both trilogies the films can be stylistically different yet similer to the lucas-verse trilogies

10. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Either remake would be a disaster IMO

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    not needed.

12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah bad idea, both the PT and the OT. Although I have dreams (literally) of an alternate Episode 2, remaking any of the six would be like making the SE's x10. I hope it never happens.

13. That Bad Huh

That Bad Huh Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    As an art project, what i'd like to see is a PT remade using only film making techniques available in the 1970s. If you wanted to be very strict about it (though I doubt this would be necessary), Episode I would have to be made with the tech available in 1967, Episode II with that of 1970, and III with stuff from 1973, just to follow the three-years-per chronology.

Realistically, this could be done on the cheap by an enterprising team since the tech is so outmoded, and is far more practical and plausible than procuring the half-billion dollars that remaking either the PT or the OT would cost. Plus it would be fun to watch, and would leave the "sacred" OT in tact.

Also, the film makers could bring out the spackle on the problems with the prequels.

Just an idea I've had...

14. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Even as an "art project," I can't really find myself getting intrigued by a project like that. The entire reason they were made when they did rather than in the time before/after the original films was because Lucas did not want to be restricted by the technology of the time. To do something like that just seems to me like it would be undermining not just the prequel films themselves, but the intentions and creative process that went into making them.

Andy Wylde and rdhight like this.
  15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Dear God no.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. That Bad Huh

That Bad Huh Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012

As far as I know, that's not the actual case...it's a Lucas-ism. I don't buy that it was part of a grand plan. I think he made Ep IV the way it was because of Akira Kurosawa and the Hidden Fortress. I don't think he had a better idea in his head and just didn't go through with it because of tech restrictions, though I know that's what he claims. He made the Hidden Fortress in space, which is what he intended to do.

The prequels would require massive changes, and they'd be much smaller in scope...but Ep IV is small in scope, and still beloved.

I don't know...I think it would be good to see. A similar exercise to those Star-Wars-as-Shakespeare things that have popped up.

You have to believe in it, guys. I don't need this negativity.

17. Jair Crawford

Nov 3, 2012
    I wouldn't mind something like that as an art project. It's a cool idea and I think you should go for it.

It's only as soon as anything like that replaces the official movies as 'new canon' that I start having issues. lol

That is what I don't want to see happen. Ever.

That Bad Huh likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Try it! Shouldn't hurt.

Jair Crawford likes this.
  19. chris skywalker

Jun 3, 2014
    Mod edit: Not appropriate

20. chris skywalker

Jun 3, 2014
    When technology allows it we should do a RETELLING of the six movies no profit being made just six photo realistic films 140 to 130 minutes each. All six would be the same but different. We would be stupid not to take some things from TCW darth plagueis etc. the series will combine the styles of both trilogies and release in chronogical order.

That Bad Huh likes this.
  21. Master Raze Golladio

Master Raze Golladio Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2014
    OK, so I suppose since we are actively considering the prospect of Disney at some point commissioning a reboot of the entire saga, does anyone have any thoughts on which actors / actresses should play which characters? And the other question to consider is: should the reboot be made as a darker, grittier version for adults, to almost counteract the cartoon-y CGI used in TCW (despite its complex plots and morally grey characters), which would also affect the casting, surely? I mean, continuing with the family-friendly theme, I could potentially see someone like Brendan Fraser as Han Solo, but if it had a much darker theme, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau or Kiefer Sutherland would possibly be more suitable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would ever want a reboot, but I do enjoy the speculation....

22. chris skywalker

Jun 3, 2014
    I would boycott the film if the word dark is said in a interview

23. Master Raze Golladio

Master Raze Golladio Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2014
    Would you prefer the phrase, "not so fluffy"? :)

24. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I think you're right, though a backstory that is actually pretty similar to the 'fall of the republic' stuff is quite old. It may not have interested Lucas as much at that point, or maybe he felt he'd already sunk so much time into creating the 'current' story he was working on, or... maybe something else. But in broad strokes, I agree with you.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  25. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    They took 28 years to tell the story of Anakin's rise and fall in six movies; start with the reboots, and some of us may die of old age without ever knowing what really happened. I have high blood pressure, guys!

Now, something like a "remix" I could see. Like, an anime OVA or something covering the main, canonical Star Wars OT and PT story, but chopped up differently and arranged to show different events. Go forward and back in time, change where the chapter breaks fall, use flashbacks and in medias res storytelling, show the Empire's perspective of the Rebels more. Give someone besides John Williams the opportunity to score Star Wars. Explore areas that Lucas chose to avoid.