main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST STAR WARS: EPISODE VII CAST ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    That doesn't work here since she got second billing behind Boyega. She wasn't 4th in the billing. She was front and center with Boyega.

2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

I don't buy that either. I do buy he is playing Luke's son; mainly because I don't think Disney would ever miss the opportunity to use a character like that. But, given that Gleeson's greatest asset seems to be his comedic timing, as well as him being an elder of the group. I think that points to a tertiary lead.

3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    And? The point is that where she was listed on a press release bears no relation to her actual role in the film.

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I just don't think they'll use the whole street rat route with no knowledge of the force. (that's Ezra's exact intro story)

5. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    This is different.

Not only is Anakin's role arguably secondary to Obi Wan's in the PT, and indisputably so in episode 1, in this particular case, all the newbies besides maybe Von Sydow and Serkis are pretty equally unknown to the public. So it's not like Boyega is Depp or anything.

Not to mention the Mad Hatter was really important in that stupid movie.

He doesn't need to be an Urchin. Being a young adult, he'll probably have a "career" or some sorts.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Boyega's agent probably does have slightly more leverage over Ridley's agent: Attack the Block trumps Emergency, after all.

7. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005

Yes, there are numerous reasons to believe Gleeson is playing Luke's son, but I think some forget that Disney is in the business of making money and the last name Skywalker=$$$. I'm all for a female lead, I'm all for Anakin Skywalker's line to continue with a female without the last name Skywalker, but not giving Luke a son cuts off making (action figures with the last name of Skywalker for the rest of Disney's time with Star Wars. I don't know about you, but it seems Disney has real ambition with pushing Star Wars further. While no one is discussing it now, I can't see why some day we won't see 10,11,12 and beyond that. To me, is a female Solo daughter capable of carrying the line forward? Of course. From a marketing perspective? Not so sure.

I don't think Gleeson is our main character simply because I don't think JJ wants to do the whiny Skywalker male teen/early 20 year old comes of age story. I think that's why we have the cast we have and (if Gleeson is our 3rd member) the trio we do. A tertiary Skywalker male that is all ready "grown up" will be a nice contrast, not to mention interesting story telling when interacting with Ridley and Boyega.

8. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Yeah,but outside us in the fandom. Who's really going to go in the movie theater and say "Hey they used that storyyline that in Rebels" [face_laugh]

9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    The truth is we know nothing, the casting order means nothing and even if it is accurate for the movie it's only for Episode VII and not VIII and IX, which will have a new casting order, so as long as Lucasfilm doesn't confirm who the Main lead (Anakin/Luke) of VII, VIII, and IX is it could be anybody.

10. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Which is my point from the start. That people shouldn't be jumping to a forgone conclussion that Ridley the main lead.

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Sorry, but the same goes for Boyega.

12. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005

I agree with you ,I suppose that it's easy to assume that when you see that Daisy and John have shot the most so far and for some reason, probably because he isn't a Skywalker/Solo, Boyega can't be the lead so Daisy must be. Not the best of logic if you ask me.

Momotaros likes this.
  13. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Did you not read were I said the main star could even be Gleeson?

14. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    Star Wars is a seller's market. No young up-and-comer would be able to muscle his name around like that. It's more likely that they billed based on importance.

Momotaros likes this.
  15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I know but I just said it because I know you want Boyega to be the new Anakin/Luke.

16. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Espically when most people haven't even heard of Attack of The Block. Your average movie goer as no clue what that movies about or who Boyega is. [face_laugh]

Not going to denied that I'm a fan of his. Just like Ridley has her fans on here. I'm rooting for him. I wont denied that.

17. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    LOL. You know what my sister called him in 24?

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    and that movie was a huge bomb too.

19. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    What did he call him? Curious now

20. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    She called him "the little black guy."

Daisy, John. Heck, Gleeson and Isaac. People don't know them. LF is not going to split hairs on things like fame when it comes to billing these fine people.

21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Agreed and Disney would be stupid to end the Skywalker Line with Luke as that would mean that they wouldn't be able to take advantage of the Skywalker name for future main movies (10,11,12,etc.) ,a name which is the most synonymous with Star Wars.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  22. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The thing is, they're playing their cards close to their chest. It's almost indisputable that Boyega and Ridley will play close co-leads, so who's the "real lead" is a fruitless argument. But it won't be a non-Skywalker/Solo driving the plot.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  23. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    Skywalkers aren't really a brand. That being said, they don't need to be the main focus to keep a line going either.

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I would say from a marketing perspective ($$$) that they are. (I'm studying Marketing/Business in Uni)

and by the way have you guys seen this photo before?
    http://www.movies.ie/movie_news/119...NA_Starring_Domhnall_Gleeson_and_Oscar_Isaac_
    [​IMG]

Summers1913 likes this.
  25. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    Skywalker is strongly associated with Luke and his father. But the other Skywalker is either called Organa or rocks the one name like Madonna or something. It's not like she's going to change her name to capitalize on it.

Not only that, but Han Solo gets, in my opinion, and unfair amount of attention over the other two leads.

Here's the thing. Star Wars has always been a character driven enterprise. Names and stuff are secondary to the affect said characters have on you in the movie theater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.