main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

The pinnacle of Evil Planets is Dromund Kaas. In the old EU when Korriban was the sight of a clone wars battle(meaning that it was pretty well known) Yoda made efforts to dismiss the mere existence of DK as a rumor. It turned Kyle Katarn to the dark side simply by being the planet he was on.

I would love to see Dromund Kaas in the ST. And Nar Shaddaa. Can't stress it enough, Nar Shaddaa is awesome.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    As long as TOR isn't referenced, I agree.

3. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Why? What's wrong with the events of TOR? It can be simple: DK: For thousand of years it was the seat of a huge Sith Empire. NS: There is more to it than crime sindicates. MIlennia ago an investigation revealed an even more ancient compound belonging to the sith lord Darth Revan, that housed technology from the Rakatan Infinite Empire that once ruled the pre-republic galaxy.

This is basically the important stuff from TOR that is relevant to these two planets. Yeah. I know Nar Shaddaa is a moon.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There's just some aspects of TOR that I don't like. "For thousands of years it was the seat of a huge Sith Empire" is ok. References to Revan and the Rakata destroy too much mystery for my liking and would be excess exposition. I also hate that the TOR Sith Empire looks so similar to the Galactic Empire and has such similar titles and that Vitiate is so overpowered and so similar to Palpatine.

5. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Fair enough. For each their own. Anyway I am sure they will somehow reassure us that TOR is still canon. For better or worse it is a currently running MMO with a pretty high monthly income. Declaring it non canon would be bad business.
    But I see your point. I just want my two favorite celestial bodies in. And maybe not TOR but I sure love KotoR.

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Most people who play TOR don't know or care about canon. Talking to people I know demonstrates this.

I also don't think it's a good idea to go out of your way to reference of not reference something.

7. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Fair enough again. Unless it is important to the movie, don't say it. We'll just have to wait what the ancient evil is. Or are.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This would be the perfect movie for Han Solo to revisit his homeworld, Corellia.

9. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    This is going to be difficult to describe, but I would love to see a planet that is shaped from platforms, rampways, staircases and other surfaces that resemble air, clouds, ground, etc. in appearance. So, one would be able to literally walk underground, underwater, above ground, and straight up to the sky. It would almost be like Pac-Man, I guess, whereby people could move meticulously anywhere throughout the planets environment without any impediments other than going from surface to surface by the means mentioned above.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    The more I think about it, the more I realize how the planets in each trilogy are designed to carry out the themes of that trilogy.

The OT planets are all about running and hiding: Tatooine, Yavin, Endor, Hoth, Bespin, even Alderaan are important for one reason: they are places where the Imperial hounds caught up to their Rebel prey (or lured them, in the one case). Dagobah is the one hiding place Sidious never finds.

The PT planets are all about the Clone Wars: Coruscant, where one side is headquartered; Geonosis, where we see droid production, the Separatist origins, and the first battle; Kamino, where the clones were made; Naboo, where the war's architect came from and where he launched his plan for power; Utapau, where Grievous' death and Obi-Wan's pivotal escape took place; the Order 66 planets; and Mustafar, where the war ended. Tatooine in the PT is a useless artifact, but for the most part, there's a lot of very purposeful focus in determining which planets we're shown.

That makes me wonder what kind of themes we're going to see drive the planet selection in VII. Corellia and Kuat, showing a return to prosperity and peacetime concerns? The magical planets from TCW, putting attention on mystical things? Or if there are good and evil states, we might focus on border worlds -- the "West Berlins" of the sequel era.

11. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Hmmm, sounds nice, You could be right, Problem is, we can only guess the central team of the trilogy. Heck, we could only begin to guess when AotC hit us.

12. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Oh, a question came to my mind. Star Wars has quite a lot of city planets. I always wondered, what is the Coruscant/Nar Shaddaa/Denon/Corellia/Taris version of china town?

13. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Latest rumor: http://makingstarwars.net/2014/06/spoilers-lots-details-star-wars-episode-viis-pinewood-sets/

Apparently we're going back to not just Tatooine, but Hoth and Endor (or Kashyyk).
    I can't tell you how disappointed I'll be if we just visit supposedly obscure and backwater worlds from the OT. The worst thing that's happened to SW recently is people making the universe feel small.
    One OT planet in 7 is cool. Two could work (Jedi Academy on Yavin 4, then a jaunt to Tatooine is my hope). There could be more over the course of the series (I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Cloud City again). But I really don't want to see STID: Star Wars with all the overused tone-deaf referencing and small, lifeless universe.
    I hope we get to visit at least one new, big, complex and living planet in 7, like Corellia, Nar Shadaa or any number of EU worlds (Chandrila! Corulag!). Or at least some more everyday life on Coruscant. I don't want the plot to push our heroes to Echo Base or the Lars Homestead just so Abrams can go, "Hey audience, it's from the OT! Get it? FEEL NOSTALGIA!". Yeah, let's "capture the spirit" of the OT, but that can be done in far less ham-fisted ways.
    One of the reasons Star Wars became such a phenomenon (surpassing the pulpy sci-fi serials that helped inspire it) was that it trusted the intelligence and imagination of the audience. That's always been rare in Hollywood, but I hope they realize we can appreciate subtlety and complexity in universe-building.
    Here's hoping the rumor is unreliable and I'm worried about nothing.

14. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Well, like the article said, we aren't totally sure it is Hoth. Ilum, Belsavis, Csilla, Ziost. All ice planets. But yes, I hope we will go somewhere new as well.

I know a lot of people are very much against TOR but it was damn good in the planet department. There were four groups: Important movie planets: Alderaan, Coruscant, Hoth, Tatooine Important Kotor planets: Taris, Korriban, Nar Shaddaa. Totally new planets that were never seen before like Voss and Tyton and a few lore planets. Something like this would be nice on a smaller scale.

Like: One OT planet, one PT planet, one EU planet, and a totally new one.

Circular Logic and Iron_lord like this.
  15. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Agreed on all accounts. I'm inclined to say it's not true because I would think there'd be no reason to return to Hoth. There was nothing there except the Rebel base which was destroyed. If we're on an icy planet, I hope it's something different. Maybe more glaciers and water than Hoth.

Abadacus and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

I think my ideal Episode 7 would go something like:
    Yavin 4 (Introduce our new characters, and show us Luke 30 years later) then off to...
    Coruscant (Introduce the New Republic, meet Han & Leia, set up the big threat, maybe with an assassination attempt on the Chief of State.)
    Third, they'd visit a more dangerous type of place that challenges the young heroes, could be the Coruscant undercity, a rough neighborhood in Corellia or Nar Shadaa, or somewhere less civilized like Korriban.
    This way we follow our heroes as they go out into a wider galaxy from some kind of isolation (slavery, moisture farming, Jedi training) on a remote world, and then encounter its dangers. A good formula for character growth, and the somewhat sheltered protagonist gives an excuse to explain things to the audience.

The next movie would have more new planets, as well as another major world not seen on screen yet (Corellia if not in 7). I just can't come up with a particularly thematically or logically satisfying reason for the Skywalkers to visit Tatooine again (although there's been good discussion in the relevant thread) but I think there's plenty to be explored there in spinoffs.
    Maybe our heroes lure the villain there for a final showdown away from innocents at the end of Episode 9.

The rumors about Iceland and Scotland have my interest. They make me hope we'll see more interesting terrains this time around. Tatooine and Hoth are both fairly plausible worlds with well-developed ecologies (in the EU), but the oversimplification of "Desert Planet" and "Ice Planet" is something I hope they can avoid doubling down on. (Or the low-budget sci-fi staple of "Vancouver Planet".) One of the good things about the "Ewoks" movies is that they showed a range of climates and environments that all still felt like the same continent on the same planet.
    [​IMG]
    This sort of terrain would be great for Corellia or old footage of Alderann (it's already got Killik spires!)

17. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Nice list. It was rumored a few pages back that the theme of the ST planets would be mystery because the ST is supposed to be mystical. Maybe after the old and new big three are introduced, we will see intrige type and mythology type planets alternating. Would be nice. My two favorite plots.

KitsterAKABobaFett and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Dromond Kaas is an awesome planet - I liked that idea others have mentioned.

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm 100% sure that this is an unreliable rumor. I can't think of any reason to go to Hoth. Nobody lives there.

20. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007

I'm starting to think that's precisely why JJ Abrams was hired for this. The ST is supposed to be mystical and philosophical, so it should naturally be mysterious. So they hired a director with a profound "love for the unseen mystery," as seen in his famous talk about the "mystery box." The projects he's known for are always based around mysteries, either in content (Lost, Alias, Fringe) or marketing and publicity (Cloverfield, Super 8, Star Trek Into Darkness). Mystery is his thing. If this trilogy is truly about the moral and philosophical issues as George stated, they picked the perfect person for it.

He might even be the person to bring back some mystery to the Force after the midichlorian explanation. As a huge Lost fanatic, I'm kind of giddy at the idea of the Force being as cryptic and ambiguous as, say, the Island.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  21. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Would be a welcome change. But then, what are the mystery planets? What are the inmtrigue planets? Is there a chance to see both categories? do they overlap anywhere?

22. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    If we are revisiting Yavin IV, could the ancient fear be Naga Sadow?

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Of all the EU characters, Exar Kun has always seemed the closest to what GL had in mind as the founder of the Sith, but Max Von as Naga would be funny. Then again, I doubt GL intended Yavin to have anything to do with the Sith.

24. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Well both EK and NS ended up on Yavin but the latter was purged from there by the Sith Empire if I recall correctly. Not that it matters with canon's current state

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was under the impression that the Sith Empire failed to destroy Naga's spirit. Before the TOR timeline videos were released, it was repeatedly stated that Naga died long before Exar showed up.