main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Would Jar Jar have been better if he was not CGI?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Jun 8, 2014.

1. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    It wouldn't have stopped people from complaining about so called racist stereotypes, but my feeling is that he would have been less hated as a Chewbacca like costumed character.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The problems with Jar Jar were character related. Making him a costume instead of CGI would not do away with the annoying voice, the stupid slapstick comedy routines with the fart and poop jokes, and the fact that he talked like a stereotypical black person in a 1930's movie.

TKT, Han Burgundy, Sith Soup and 6 others like this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no. either you hate him or you don't mind him. btw i've never heard any black person say exsqueezeme.

Andy Wylde, SlashMan and markdeez like this.
  4. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    The CGI didn't bother me nearly as much as the voice.

Force Smuggler, TX-20 and Darth Dnej like this.
  5. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I think the main problem with the Binks-meister was that it was just TOO MUCH of him. He was on screen for 90 minutes. If it had just been cut way down it wouldn't have bothered so many people.

SlashMan, TX-20 and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    No, the CGI is not what made me hate Jar Jar. I think a costumed Jar Jar has the potential to be even WORSE.

Team Padme and TX-20 like this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ^ this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think a different costume or species would have made much difference.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Better check you facts because you got them wrong.

I think people only say that because other people say it and they think it's correct especially once they learn Ahmed Best is black.

Anyone who thinks he's Stepin Fechit hasn't seen him:

DarthAhem, Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Stupid look. Stupid voice. Stupid personality. Stupid hi-jinks. What's there to like?

Lucas should have made him into a two blaster wielding joker, who has fast reflexes and amazing agility — someone who can use his skills in fighting and doing courageous things to save his friends from time to time, instead of some clumsy clown who does nothing but annoy everyone in the film, as well as the audience who's watching the damn movie.

Jo Lucas, Lando Swarm and TX-20 like this.
  11. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    I remember liking him when I first watched the movie, but that might be because I was seven at the time.

By the way, lovelikewinter said this:
    That's a reeeeeally big stretch of the imagination. Seriously, what black person from the 30's says "meesa" and "yousa"? It feels like you would have to be extremely racist yourself to make that connection.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Should have made him growl (or something) like Chewie did in the OT.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Honestly not sure if this is a parody post or not.

14. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    No, I would still hate him either way. The foolish attempts at comedy. The ridiculous nature of his character. The horrible gags of farts and stepping in crap. That voice. That walk.

*****Funny, I was on Star Tours over the weekend at Disney for Star Wars weekends. I have been on this ride since its debut years ago. Well. For our storyline (it changes to a new scenario each time) we arrived on Naboo and saw Jar Jar and other Gungans. You could hear the groans over the loud effects and music. People said out loud "not Jar Jar" and "Episode one???" He is just a hated character by a majority of fans (yes I believe a majority of fans hate him....which would be at least 51% although I think it's much higher). And Lucas still tried to shove him down our throats in Episode II and III. He should have vanished away as a big mistake.

TKT and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Nothing wrong with the fact he was a CGI character. The fact he was unfunny and ridiculous was the problem. To have such a slapstick element in Ep 1 was a huge mistake. There was nothing like that in the OT so why introduce a character like that.

16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Movie would have been much better with Captain Tarpals replacing Jar Jar's role.

TKT and TX-20 like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't think so. Those who dislike him would most likely still dislike him. It is also possible that a suit would have been seen as less convincing then the CGI.

Also:

Andy Wylde and markdeez like this.
  18. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Jesse Booth- At the risk of being called a racist myself, I think that post meant that Jar-Jar acted like the stereotype the whites had about blacks in the 1930s. Though, to be honest, this is just trying to find an issue where there isn't any. His entire creation was just for comedy relief. Bad comedy relief, but that's it.

SerRoel likes this.
  19. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I don't care about his looks, or the cgi.

I dislike the silly portrayal of the character. Specifically the pseudo Jamaican accent, comedic tongue tricks, and clumsiness. I feel like it all lends to an overall lack of believability.

20. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    No, what I found annoying about him was the voice and the way his character was. If that had been changed then perhaps Jar Jar's very existence wouldn't make me want to throw something at the screen whenever I watch TPM.

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Meh, that's just speculation on your part, impossible to judge in any way. He's obviously not the most popular character, but whether most people actually care enough to hate him seems rather questionable, especially among children.
    And somehow I doubt that Lucas tried to shove anything down anyone's throat, he probably did what he always did and followed what he wanted to do. Don't make yourself feel more important than you are. Lucas has never shown the tendency to shove anything down the throat of his critics, as they aren't important enough to him to deviate from the story. If Jar Jar was in II and III, it was because Lucas wanted him to be in II and III all along. And quite frankly, why wouldn't he?
    In those two movies, Jar Jar played exactly the role he was supposed to play. He is a simple-minded character that could easily be duped by Palpatine into doing exactly what Palpatine wanted, that was his role for Episode II. It's quite obvious that he would be around at Padme's funeral, considering the past they shared, so him appearing in III is a given.

As for nothing like him being in the OT, that's not quite right either. There were plenty of slapstick moments, especially involving 3PO. Not to mention the Ewoks in ROTJ. Some of the Jar Jar battle scenes were actually a carbon copy of the ones from ROTJ. Something like that has been around all the time, just not always to such an extend. While I'm not a big fan of Jar Jar, I don't find him nearly as annoying as other people do. I could have done without the poop and fart jokes, but beyond that he really wasn't all that horrible. Annoying at times, but other characters have been annoying as well.

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    One, I have nothing against Jar-Jar personally. Yes, he's annoying. But the other characters, aside from Anakin, found him annoying. Sometimes, I think people forget that. But Jar-Jar also had his funny moments (which had nothing to do with slapstick), so I never really had any problems with him. Hell, I find Han Solo irritating and immature at times. But I certainly don't hate him or wish he was never in the films.

23. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    nope:

some of his expressions that show even a depth of character he has could not have been done with a puppet IMO.

the scene in particular is when he witnesses "the tiff" between Obi and Anakin in AOTC just after they meet Padme.

24. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    It could have been much, much worse. Would you guys have preferred it if this guy was stepping in crap and making fart jokes?

[​IMG]

25. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    it wouldn't make any difference

those claiming racism on Jar Jar's part will be convinced Lucas was trying to make jibes at the obese or something

:p

Jedi_Kenobi32 and Jesse Booth like this.