main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Red 5 and X-Wing Pilots Spin-off

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barth, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Putting together a bunch of rumors, I really think that Red Five will be done by Pixar, or at least CGI. Here's why:

We first have the rumor that Pixar is making a spin-off movie. http://www.latino-review.com/2014/01/pixar-joining-star-wars-universe/

We then have the idea that most of the Star Wars Spin-off movies will be origin stories. http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/st...ey-when-it-comes-to-opportunities-1200609291/

This makes sense for Han Solo and Boba Fett (also both rumored for spin-offs) because they could be played at a younger age..that brings me to the next rumor.

We then have the rumor that "Red Five" will be the third spin-off movie. http://io9.com/red-five-may-be-disneys-newest-stand-alone-star-wars-mo-1578427498

Then we have to ask..how could Red Five be an origin story? Mark Hamill has played Luke Skywalker in every instance, so it would be weird if another actor would play him during the years when he was active using the "Red Five" designation. Since the end of ANH was his origin, the movie necessarily must take place after ANH. Rather than have some other actor portray Luke Skywalker in this era, wouldn't it make sense to just make this one CGI?

Put the two together, and I think that the Red Five spin-off will be made with CGI, and could be the one rumored to be done by Pixar, they will portray as best they can, a computer animated character that is inspired by Mark Hamill in the same way that the Clone Wars was based on the PT. What do you guys think?

2. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    The best thing about doing it with animation is that Mark Hamill's talented enough as a voice actor to play himself at age 30 or 40. No need to recast, but if it is done I'd rather it be voice only than a new onscreen actor.
    That being said, I'd much rather them do a Rogue or Wraith Squadron-esque spinoff than a young Luke one.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Couldn't Red Five be about another pilot who uses the same callsign?

4. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002

You're right, it could be. However, I still think the most likely scenario is that "Red Five" refers to the same guy that comes to mind when you hear those two words together. For me, I immediately think of that impactful line from ANH "This is Red Five, I'm going in". It would definitely be weird if it tried to put in some other guy with that designation. I'm aware that Anakin used it too, but I still think the punch comes with the connection to Luke. And I think Disney is going to try and use that association with Luke as marketing gold. It would be a waste to try and market some other guy.

Cevan and Palpatine77 like this.
  5. DarthPinoy

DarthPinoy Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2014
    Maybe the animated route could work out best for the rumored "Red Five" movie. Not sure how well it'd come across in a room full of executives, but I think the idea of a "Red Five" sans a Skywalker would be a poignant approach to a SW movie that wouldn't be centered around a Force-sensitive - in particular one of Luke or Anakin's caliber. You wouldn't ignore or downplay the existence of the Force or the Skywalker legacy in this movie. On the contrary, it'd exist as a standard, or benchmark, of heroic excellence to which the protagonist - a mere mortal - would have to aspire. Rather than merely emphasizing the grittier, or more naturalistic tone of the OT's WWII fighter plane movie elements, add SW fantasy elements to the same, but on the periphery of the main action. Think of Han Solo's plot line in TESB writ large. That kind of Everyman being caught up in something much larger than himself, something mystical and supernatural, and somehow rising to the occasion.

Sarge and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013

I know I'm dreaming but I want old school animation, not CGI if its animated. Still see it either way though.

7. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    Another prospect is that, with Red Five coming out AFTER Episode 9, it could follow the exploits of a new character who is introduced during the ST.

Dewback and darklordoftech like this.
  8. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I would like to see an anime style film

Orman Tagge, Jobertus and Ryus like this.
  9. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Yes; I have always said that if they make a Spin-Off movie for Luke or Han Solo, it should only be animated only. I don't want them to recast these characters. create an animated character that looks like Luke, and use a voice actor only, to sound like him. They could even ask Mark Hamill to do the voice since he is a voice over actor.

10. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I honestly would be ecstatic to watch a Pixar-made Star Wars film, especially if Hamill did the voice of Luke. The characters of Star Wars are so tied to their actors that any kind of recasting would be extremely off-putting to me. The animated route would be a welcome alternative to that.

Cevan, Jobertus and DarthIshyZ like this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    After the Clone Wars movie I doubt they will go down the rout of an animated movie again...

yodasbum likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No they'll just go to the trouble of actually making a movie this time instead of stringing together a couple of episodes of a cartoon and calling it movie.

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    One way I could see this going is an animated film by Disney (maybe not Pixar--think Wreck-It Ralph) set between ROTJ and Ep7 which can then be spun-off into a new animated series. (Rebels will most likely wrap up in early 2019.)

However, I think Disney will want to keep SW live-action on the big screen for as long as it's profitable--much bigger audience that way. A theatrical animated feature will dilute the brand too much (cf. TCW).

14. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    If it is animated, though, I hope the writers / animators have enough respect for the GFFA that they don't do the same wise-cracking characters they've done in, say, Aladdin or Toy Story. I like the movies, don't get me wrong. I just think the drama nature of the films would be harmed by a wise-cracking holocube or something.

Sarge and DarthBreezy like this.
  15. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    God, me too. Star Wars and Harry Potter were material that were so unexplored in anime. :(

Jobertus, markdeez and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Not sure may brain could handle an animated Star Wars if it turns out looking like Toy Story or the Incredibles, with ridiculously exaggerated body proportions just because they can. Ventress was bad enough (although a cool character). Would hope it's close to realistic looking.

Scummy_and_Villainous and Sarge like this.
  17. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    First, Pixar won't be doing it. This has come up with Marvel as well, Disney keeps their studios/divisons seperate. They aren't going to have Pixar make a Star Wars movie, they have Lucasfilm for that. THey want Pixar making Pixar movies - and they already have like 4-6 new movies announced and in production Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Incredibles 2, the one about the Mexican holiday Dia de los Muetos - and those are only the announced projects. Pixar has PLENTY on their plate right now.

The Boba Fett movie won't be an orign story, we got that in AotC. If they want to tell origin stories, we'd be seeing some about the ST characters, the ones who are completely new that we know nothing about.

They are going to re-cast Han in that movie (assuming there is a Han stand-along movie), so why not Luke?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  18. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

The kind of Animation I am talking about, would be taken as seriously as the Live Action movies. And the Animation style would go for a photoreal look like Tin Tin. :)

19. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

There should have been an anime adaption of the manga that Dark Horse released several years back. Fantastic books.

[​IMG]

20. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Yet Marvel is now taking over Star Wars comics.

Orman Tagge and markdeez like this.
  21. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Maybe there will be a new Red Five in the sequel trilogy and this later spin off movie will be about him/her? It might spawn from story elements yet to come in the new movies. I just can't see them recasting a young like at this stage of the game. (Especially with Hamil prepping for his big comeback)

22. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Yes. We need more of this. SW was made for it.

23. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Not sure if Red Five will wind up as an actual Spin-Off film or not, but this topic does remind me of something: when Gareth Edwards was announced as the first director for a Spin-Off film recently, he made a public statement: "Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm", Edwards stated.

Now, could all that "join the Rebel Alliance" stuff be a subtle hint as to what type of Spin-Off film he will be directing? Maybe, maybe. Certainly adds a bit of fuel to the fire for a possible Red Five film, doesn't it?

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  24. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I'd rather they put effort into it.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013

From Kathleen Kennedy:

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/01/kathleen-kennedy-talks-spin-off-films.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.