main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO E3 2014 (June 9th-12th) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 3, 2014.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Mario Maker?! :eek:

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wasn't expecting the instant SMB1/NSMBU switch in Mario Maker when it leaked.

Also, was that the Mario Paint fly swatter game?

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Bugger, that aquarium shot had my hopes up for an Endless Ocean.

Splatoon looks interesting with the squid mechanics.

EDIT: Looks like it be a fun multiplayer title

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Missed most of the stream, but oh well, time to catch up on the news.

Yeah, looks like another awesome game from Monolith, definitely eager to see what the game in 2015.

Ah, so many release dates, I can't even keep track of them all.

Ah, another new Smash character- her, huh? Though honestly the animated intro caught my attention more than anything, a Smash Bros. anime would be awesome, though I know it'll probably never happen.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sounds cool as I really enjoyed its predecessor but that's unlikely to get me to buy a Wii U.

Open world Zelda? Hard to say.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    STAR FOX!

Oh and Lady Palutina joins Brawl. Sounds like the same voice cast from Kid Icarus is back.

Now they talking about Amiibo

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    How the hell does the Vita get more conference time then the 3DS?

Rum it is.

VanishingReality likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The 3DS is going to get a 90 min developer event tomorrow night on a new game. They're also going to be teasing and announcing various titles throughout the next few days from the Treehouse and Minute stream events.

Thorium Wars looks cool on the 3DS. In fact a lot of sweet looking titles for 3DS and eShop being shown in this montage right now...

So, overall, some great titles shown- and few surprises that have some creative mechanics like Splatoon's squid and ink strategy mechanics or Captain Toad's puzzle navigation platforming approach. Loved the Robot Chicken segments and the Reggie/Iwata live action battle.

Disappointed that a lot of titles were still 2015 and not 2014 since 2014 is really the moment of opportunity for Nintendo during the drought on the other systems.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, I just caught that announcement. Nice that there's hope.

Still buying that rum.

ANYWAY!

Easily the shortest conference, what with the sketches and extended interviews. Most of the games look solid - it's nice to finally see a proper WiiU Zelda game. Hell, everything we saw was really good, but I wanted more. That lack of well-timed 3DS coverage was lame, though - why are two Treehouse hosts announcing Professor Layton x Ace Attorney? Honestly, I get that they're trying to shake up the format, but it just makes me nostalgic for a traditional big announcement conference. I get that it's the internet age and we can all browse news blogs and streams at our leisure, but there's a lot to be said for a concentrated pitch - especially when your console is only in second place because Microsoft alienated everyone at launch. C.

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    They still have a few surprises… we got a blurry glimpse of Star Fox and there is that unannounced 3DS game too… who know what else..

EDIT: Sounds like that will happen during the Treehouse Demos.

11. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I thought the Fils-a-Mech video I watched on Youtube last night was crazy, but that live action thing was even funnier. Too bad much of the new and really good looking stuff isn't until 2015 (such as Zelda and Xenoblade) but oh well, I'm not good with keeping track of things, but already I can tell my wallet is probably going to be empty by November of this year, just from this Direct alone. Pokemon in November, Super Smash Bros. 3DS in October, Zelda Warriors in September, Phoenix Wright and Layton in August. Wii U is still quiet, but at least my 3DS will be busy.

Glad that at least Smash 3DS is still on for this year, but after that delay, I'm really doubtful they'll finish the Wii U version in time for the holidays. The Gamecube controller bundle sounds fun though.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently there are three Miyamoto games:

-Star Fox U
    -Project Guard
    -Project Giant Robot

Guard uses the GamePad to control the angles and configuration of 12 cameras, trying to protect a central room. The Tv displays those cameras and you fire weaponry to take down invading robots. It's almost like a new take on a tower defense, it seems, but also one that invites spectators despite being single player- people in the room seem to have a habit of calling out cameras for you to pay attention to.

It's also apparently very hard, even on Easy. It's also possibly being linked to Star Fox in some way (the cameras had SF logos and some robots are from SF).

Giant Robot apparently involves giant customizable robots in a sumo-like scenario, with the GamePad being 1st person POV to target enemy weak points with lasers while the Tv shows a helicopter view.

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Wonder if Star Fox is a brand new story/entry that continues the story or a revisited expansion of the 64 title.

14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

Look at it! LOOK AT IT!!! This is the stuff childhood dreams are made of! Between this and The Witcher 3 there's a lot of promise for open world games in 2015.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's going to be hard to coral all the Nintendo news the way it's being spread out.

-Bayonetta 2 will come with Bayonetta 1! Plus the Nintendo character outfits/missions.
    -Captain Toad will hit this holiday season.
    -Yarn Yoshi is now called Yoshi's Wooly World- looks very creative.
    -Hyrule Warriors will have Link, Midna, ZELDA! and Impa as playable characters, amongst others.
    -The claymation Kirby game is a sequel to Canvas Curse on the DS, but for the Wii U GamePad.
    -Mario Party 10 has been announced, where one player plays as Bowser against the other players. THIS. WILL. BE. EPIC.
    -Palutena is the new Smash player added (and they've teased Shadow Pit in some form). But how about that epic Smash bros anime sequence? I hope they do a full series in that style. Gorgeous!
    -3 varieties of Mii Fighters are also added to the roster, adding 36 possible moves to the roster.
    -Splatoon is an 8-player game. That should be an INCREDIBLE multiplayer game.
    -Nintendo's NFC figure line is called Amiibo, and Amiibos provide 2 way data transfer that allow your figures to level up in games depending on who they are faced against in Smash Bros or utilized in other games (Mario Kart 8 was mentioned as another compatible title, alongside Mario Party 10 and Captain Toad and Yoshi)
    -Ninja Gaiden's director's next game, "Devil's Third" is coming exclusively to the Wii U- "Itagaki's action game marries melee combat, and cover- and first-person shooting. It also features objective-based, attack/defend competitive multiplayer modes, a level editor, and character customization."
    -GCN Adaptor out for the holidays for $20.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Access to Nintendo's entire press kit leaked on 4chan.

And, well...

Edit: The 3DS offerings in general are pretty piss-poor, honestly.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The first Treehouse Live event starts in about 15-20 min. I asusme we'll get to see more Star Fox here.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Annnnnnnd it turns out the press kit updates with new announcements (IE, they just added Devil's Third).

There's still hope!*

But seriously I can't take this roller coaster.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of Devil's Third, here's the official trailer and IGN gameplay preview. Turns out this was a game that was cancelled after THQ went down but has now been resurrected here by Nintendo.

EDIT- Language and skimpy clothing warning:

EDIT- The Treehouse demos of Captain Toad, Splaton and, now, the two Miyamoto projects have been cool. Splatoon has a lot of play style variety and strategy options.

Project Guard looks really damn fun. Watching people play it will be just as fun as actually playing it. The birdbot that steals your cameras had been cracking up.

20. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Huh, they just announced Final Fantasy Type-0 will be coming to PS4 and XB1 in English! At long last, I thought they were never going to localize it, and an HD console port at that. The PSP is dead by now (well, not entirely sure about Japan) so wasn't expecting it, short of a PSN download title or a Vita port, but guess its something to hold over fans until FFXV (and KH3) are finished. Way back in 2006 FFXIII, Versus and Agito were announced together (I think), and by now XIII got several (unnecessary) sequels, Agito's name was changed and Versus also got a name change and still isn't out.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Treehouse is demo'ing Xenoblade X right now. The setup and intro is pretty epic.

EDIT- Very expansive world, tons of awesome creatures and wildlife whose behavior changes based on shifting weather patterns.

[​IMG]

EDIT 2- Hyrule Warriors up on Treehouse.

EDIT 3- HOLY ****!!! You can use a Midna/Great Fiary-enhanced Hookshot to drag Majora's Moon from the sky and use as a weapon to knock enemy Dragons down to your level from the sky!

EDIT 4- More Splatoon matches up on Treehouse feed.

EDIT 5- Mario Maker on now, confirmed to have had origins with Mario Paint and wanting to make the editor software be fun to use.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Smash Tournament about to start on the twitch feed.

EDIT- This is kinda cool if you think about it- with professional gamers competing at an unreleased Nintendo game at a big event in front of a huge crowd, this is the closest we'll get to recreating The Wizard in reality. :)

EDIT 2- It is amusing that Geoff Keighley asks the crowd if they'd been watching Treehouse Live and goes onto mention how Miyamoto was there today showing off Starfox...which he didn't show off on Treehouse today, so the question is, were you watching it, Geoff? ;)

EDIT 3- Another game announced between shows that I hadn't seen before: Mario vs Donkey Kong for Wii U, which also includes a level editor.

EDIT 4- Hmm, seems like the Sakurai round table isn't being broadcast. Darn. They usually at least have it up on youtube. Doesn't start til 10pm EST though so maybe the twitch feed will kick back in? Otherwise, here's a live blog.

EDIT 5- Pac-Man revealed as the next challenger in Smash Bros. Mr. Game & Watch returns as well.

EDIT 6- A final E3 observation for the evening: It's actually rather impressive how many playable female characters are included in the various Nintendo games announced or talked about today compared to Sony & Microsoft combined.

6 (so far) in Smash bros (8 if you count Sheik and Zero Suit Samus; 9 if Pac Man gets a Ms Pac Man gender flip option like the Wii Fit Trainer). At least 3 in Hyrule Warriors, main character option in Xenoblade Chronicles X, possibly the "Link" we saw in the Zelda trailer, Bayonetta, various Splatoon characters, etc.

MS+Sony+Ubi+EA had 4, maybe 5, total from what I can recall.

I mean, it's not exactly an equal gender balance (so maybe the use of the word "impressive" is relative) but it's seemingly an improvement. However it's more the publisher discrepancy that's more curious.

23. Sasaki Kojiro

Sasaki Kojiro Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2014
    Hmm...

Very interesting things that pop up at the E3, but arent most of the games the people named for mobile consoles? Kind of disappointing, I remember that the only games I had on my psp where all the Pokemons because everything else just sucks.

Anyways, havent heard nobody talk about the new STAR CITIZEN. I think people might be looking at new games in the E3 and stuff, but when it comes down to SC we will all need to change our pants.. Following the developers updates and the stuff being released progressively, one of the biggest ships has the size of a whole game. Then to think... that there are gonna be like 5 galaxies... makes me go wild.

I even read on the dev page that RSI is trying to implement a function with which you will be able to become a merchant and additionally earn real life money through the game. I can see a lot of people changing their career paths xD.

Peace and may the force b with u all!
    One love

T2Q EDIT- Removing crude phrase.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I am looking forward to Star Citizen- it just wasn't highlighted at any of the major E3 events so far as console manufacturers tend to be the focus.

Could you clarify that statement? Do you mean home consoles (XB1/PS4/WU), portable systems (3DS/Vita) or mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc)? Also, Pokemon has never been available on PSP (as it's a Nintendo-only franchise) unless you had some kind of ROM hack- did you mean that or a DS?

Most of the games talked about today are for consoles (though a handful are for portables). And though some of the indie titles might also get a mobile version released, nothing has been announced for mobile platforms specifically yet (so far as the titles we've been discussing here that have been part of the major conference events).

EDIT- Seems the Treehouse feed is demo'ing smaller games today, So far they've done plays of Fantasy Life for 3DS, Swords & Soldiers II and Affordable Space Adventures for Wii U.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Aww man, I slept through the Fantasy Life demo?