main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disable the ignore function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What you're advocating for is the ability to bury your head in the sand and essentially never learn anything from opposing viewpoints. An example... OZK has made several posts in the past that have made me cringe, and some that have made me straight up nauseous. Recently, I challenged something he said in a thread, and he PMd me to respond personally. This resulted in a pretty decent conversation. I see him in a different light now. Had I put him on ignore the first time his posts upset me, the conversation never would have taken place, and nothing would have been accomplished. In a place that is specifically intended for discussion, the ignore feature is detrimental. Like Ender (and others) said.... an ignore feature makes sense for a place like Facebook, but not at all for a discussion forum.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's cool, and I've had similar experiences.

But the idea that all such exchanges around here, or even the majority, would result in decent conversations is idealistic at best. Those of us who have advocated in this thread for the function, are not using it to shut out all dissenting ideas or even cringe-worthy posts.

Most people who use it are not moviefan.

And again, the absence of the feature is not going to make such people more open to discussion.

FWIW...if he can see this thread, he's probably laughing his ass off at it. And I'm not sure I could blame him.

V-2 likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    We don't know that. What we do know is the feature makes those who use it 100% closed to discussion.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Are you reading any posts in here, or are you just moviefanning this thread?

How many people have said this is not what they're doing? Like, all of them?

Then how are we having this discussion right now?

I use the ignore button, and I disagree with you....yet this discussion is happening.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The Facebook comment was Even's point, and it's a really good one - I wish I'd thought of it myself, and sooner.

But harps has nailed it - we only know what we can quantify:

1) The boards didn't have this feature from inception until the move (2013)
    2) We know that ignoring gives people the option to block all contact from a person, which we can guarantee impedes discussion (both via PM, as per the examples you both cite; and in threads)

We do not know that the boards would be materially impacted by a removal of the feature to align the current boards more closely with the feel of the old boards.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    CT, your first post in this thread was really well thought out; the rest haven't been. Can you not dismiss others so easily?

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it's a safe assumption. Such people are already closed to discussion. People who are as open to discussion as you are, are already not using it.

I've used it after becoming closed to discussion due to wasting a lot of time being open to it and getting nothing but projectiled **** in response. And it doesn't have to be TOS-violating projectiled ****.

Ender Sai , I remember people advocating for an ignore function on the IGN boards; I wasn't one of them but I certainly have enjoyed having the option here. I'm not sure what "feel" is missing from these. I don't remember the YJCC or Senate being a bastion of open and mature discussion from people who could always talk to each other then either.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    2012. :p

TrakNar likes this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't know anything about Facebook, but to me that point just sounds like recommending that people should just go to Facebook.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wasn't 2012 temp boards? Since it was at best an interim solution I'm not including it.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Beezel will be unhappy with you.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Dude, what's up with your tone? This is, like, the third time you've addressed me like this. I'm giving my input and listening to other input. You don't need to jump my shiz all angry-like. Chill, man.

I was talking about discussion between somebody and a person they choose to ignore, genius. There is no opportunity to clear any air, or learn anything. She said "And again, the absence of the feature is not going to make such people more open to discussion." She was responding to the post I made about my conversation with OZK. I responded by saying we don't know what can happen with somebody you frequently disagree with.... a mind-changing conversation, could, in fact, take place. But if one person has the other on ignore, we do know that there is no opportunity for mind-changing discussion between the two. Get it?

Zapdos likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And sometimes there isn't anyway. In fact...often there isn't anyway.

That will not change by making the ignore button disappear.

I've been open to mind-changing or at least agree-to-disagree conversations, gotten burned, and have no interest in contact with the person for at least awhile.

Disabling the button would not change my mind on that, just make the cool-off period more difficult to ensure.

A real-life example might be not answering the phone when seeing a certain number on caller ID. Is anyone advocating the disappearance of caller ID? I'd never answer my phone if I didn't have it.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  14. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Sorry for the off topic discussion, but the boards returned in September of 2012. The temp boards began in March.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Again, you don't know that.

16. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    On this point we do not agree.

Not being a facebook user I can't comment on it, but what you describe is exactly how I use this site.

I browse the different (ie. fragmented) forum sections, or look at the 'what's new' section and purposefully select discussions that I might find interesting. If I join in that conversation then I'm automatically subscribing to it. When it turns sour/dull/nasty I quit it, or when it fizzles out it just stops. I see what I want to see, so I don't peruse areas that would bore or annoy me.

As you say, you can confront them, ignore them or just go. Is it your goal to make this place less busy and more confrontational?

Sorry to repeat myself, but this site is not, as far as I'm aware, attempting to simulate the real life conditions you describe. It's a forum on the internet, the social norms are different to those of a café or pub.

And how you respond to the bad is entirely up to you. How you filter out stuff that doesn't interest you, or annoys you, is also up to you. If there was a problem with fractured discussion, I think it would be obvious by now.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Except V2, the site was set up - with specific reference to the rules and TOS - to facilitate discussion in an online community. It's not a personal, interactive RSS feed nor was it ever intended to be one.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody here is advocating a personal interactive RSS feed. Only the ability to take a time-out from people with whom no common ground can be had despite best efforts.

This is where we're talking past each other in this thread. Using the bar example, we're not advocating being able to personally choose who is in the bar, only the ability to choose who we interact with there.

And I certainly advocate for that in real life social situations.

No one is advocating use of the "ignore" feature on someone who disagrees. None of us use it that way.

And apparently we saw the old boards very differently. I wouldn't say they were worse as far as trolling, but it was much harder to take a time-out from an argument.

19. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Yet, Ender Sai, the way you describe the site not working is exactly how I use this site. It's exactly how the navigation function works. It's why there's a search option. It's how a significant majority of the internet functions.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But to build on your analogy AF, if the person in the bar keeps putting ****ing Nickelback on, I have mechanisms available to me that don't include a cone of silence style arrangement. I can glass him, I can leave, but I can't wall in the sound. ;)

EHT likes this.
  21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I've only used the ignore button once and it was very useful. It was not essential but it helped. It was kind of like using a nicotine patch. Sometimes when someone is baiting you, it is easier just to put that person on ignore for a short time until the lack of responses causes the trollster to go away. I only used it temporarily and then once the crazy dude settled down I took him off ignore and I've never had to ignore him or others again. I think putting people on permanent ignore is silly, but I'm all for the use of an ignore button for short burts when things get to the point where any meaningful dialogue is beyond possible.

TBH, if I was stalked by a particular user and criticised in every thread I participated in by the same person every time, I would be grateful for an ignore function, as clearly there would be some kind of malevolent intent behind that person's stalking and constant trolling/criticism, such that honest, meaningful dialogue is just not possible. It takes two people with sincerity for that to happen.

So, yeah, I'm sure we could all live without the ignore button and we can just ignore someone without blocking their posts, but, like any tool, used properly and not abused, it can come in handy . Do the pros outweigh the cons? I don't know. It's all a bit of a non-issue as far as I am concerned.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Earbuds, Ender. Earbuds.

LOH, what you described in your middle paragraph has happened to me, and the ignore function was helpful.

TrakNar and Jedi_Lover like this.
  23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    You can buy a keyring universal TV remote for less than £1. Problem solved.
    EDIT: Oh Nickelback, I thought you said Nickelodian. ;)
    Yeah earplugs, or choose a venue with a better jukebox.

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Disagree. No evidence exists that would support your claim that it would fragment the community. Perhaps the thread should not occur, if there is content that is "offensive" to some in the forum or members cant have a civil discourse without antagonizing another.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Wrong... modding should happen on the user/post level, not the thread level.

TrakNar and Zapdos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.