main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disable the ignore function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    What, no, I was referring to what you just said. It's irrelevant to the conversation anyways.

2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Jello, ignoring is normally a negative form of social interaction (exclusion and disempowerment), but I guess when you say that this place is a "community" where people come to "interact with each other" that has to be qualified by the fact that this particular community is an "online" community, with all of the inherent limitations on the ability of the 'community' to properly regulate social interaction, compared to a physical community of people where the social interaction has more immediate consequences. In other words, in an online community sometimes 'ignoring' is a positive form of social interaction and should be encouraged moreso than in a physical community where there are other forces of social control.

CT-867-5309 and V-2 like this.
  3. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Isn't there over 250,000 members at TFN? How can me ignoring one of two people inhibit interaction within a community? We have over 250,000 members...and I guarantee some of those people are irritating and deserve to be ignored. This seems like overkill. A handful of people are being butts when it comes to the ignore button and are disjointing a few thread. Why can't the mods get rid of these people? If you know they are causing problems remove them. If you can't remove them then that is reason enough to keep the ignore button. If you can't moderate these trouble makers allow us to ignore them.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No. Excluding socks (duplicate accounts) and inactive accounts, there was never anywhere near that many. I'm not really taking the "community" angle, but lets take a look at the users online at the moment.

Online now: 391 (members: 120, guests: 271

Not quite 250,000. And "guests" can't post.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Not to mention that the majority of those "guests" are most likely bots...

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There are a lot of accounts here -- that doesn't mean that there are anywhere close that number of members, and certainly not active ones. People keep thinking of it on an individual basis: "I want to ignore a few people who really deserve it, how can that be a bad thing" but I'm trying to think about it on a macro level here. Your proposed solution -- remove people who abuse the ignore feature -- is a non-starter simply because we have no idea who's doing it, and that's without even getting into the issue of how we moderate such a thing (or even if we should).

LoH -- unlike a physical community, ignoring a user here is a software function that is completely dissimilar to how people regulate social interactions in person. I don't think a discussion of how a message board relates to an in person discussion can be very illustrative here: nobody has a godlike power to make a person disappear in real life. The way a messageboard functions is very different than real life, but those considerations don't tell us anything about whether the ignore function is good or bad.

We can only look at it from the perspective of a messageboard.

edit: Honestly, there are certain situations where I can really see the strong allure of the ignore feature. In some cases, there is a strong enough case to be made for the ignore feature even when mod intervention cannot be relied upon in certain situations. I understand that -- if there were somehow a way to limit the functioning of the ignore function to cases like that, that'd be great.

Hopefully most users would only use it in such situations, but there's no way to guarantee that. I guess it's about trust -- and I've always been against top-down control, so I understand the argument about trusting the users to have the self-discipline to handle the feature. It's just the complete lack of control or accountability that's worrisome.

TrakNar and Shira A'dola like this.
  7. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Ender Sai you bring up a great point. I just skimmed through the Rules of the JC lists, and whatever the decision made regarding the ignore function the Terms of Service are a tad dated, and maybe (if kept) the function should be added to the Rules of the JC list in one of its' categories, or its' own. When I first started on these forums I was not familiar with a lot of the features, and a brief description of like, ignore, follow, etc. though they may seem self explanatory could be rather helpful.

As for your comment, "the boards were set up with a specific decision in mind, and I'm not sure the ignore feature is compatible with that", a question to that would be with the original boards the Terms of Service specified having been setup anew, do some of those ambitions to which the earlier blueprint adhered still remain as the fundamentals that this current board operates under?

In my opinion, I think these boards only share a similar genetic makeup with the previous ones, but with these having been fostered to employ the strengths and to take heed from the weaknesses of their predecessors, whilst being posited to higher standards befitting of a more modern approach.

Ignore seems like it was intended as one such improvement, but I, of course, admittedly have not a clue if that was why it was implemented by those behind these forums or not...

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's just a default setting. It wasn't actually implemented.

9. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Oh, all right. Thanks for clarifying.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    And honestly, it would be easier to remove the feature than amend the Terms of Service.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    And, AFAIK, many default settings have been turned off/changed. You can't edit a PM, you can't delete a post, you can't put images in your signature, there are edit time limits, etc. Those are for practical "this is not your personal social network" reasons, same reason I want the ignore feature gone. Eh.

EHT, Zapdos, Ender Sai and 2 others like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You, sir, have made large amounts of sense here. Basically more sense in this one thread than Wocky has made since 2007.

13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I agree completely but my comment was a response to this comment from you in your earlier post: "Bottom line is that I see this place as a community where people interact with each other. That's how this place functions and thrives, and something like the ignore feature inhibits that (to me)."

I was trying to distinguish between the different types of "communities" (online and physical) and suggest that an ignore function does not necessarily inhibit interaction in an online community. Trying being the operate word here.

14. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    You guys seem to think that there are users who, if given access to the ignore function, will have a negative impact on threads, but if denied the ability to use ignore, will contribute positively. Questionable! Some have advanced the point that "good ignorers" might just as well discipline themselves to avert their eyes from the posts of users they don't want to read. But we're also saying that at the same time, "bad ignorers" will involuntarily improve their behavior if forced to use this method?

Well If it's true that forcing rude posters to mentally skip the posts they don't like will result in some information "seeping through" and prompting better behavior from them, wouldn't forcing me to mentally skip the posts I don't like also result in some information "seeping through" and annoying me, or tempting me to snap back? But if it's no big deal for me to mentally skip posts, then why will the boards get better if a few "ignore abusers" are forced to do it?

We're venturing into very disreputable territory if we start with, "Oh, only the bad guys will even mind. Good people wouldn't be affected."

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, no, we're not because, you know, over a decade without ignore?

harpua likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How is "we functioned without it" a good argument? Again, what exactly are you trying to get back?

I'm not sure how disabling the function is going to make everyone want to talk to each other or how the IGN boards were this bastion of open conversation where disagreements were solved through dialogue. You all remember a very different IGN board than I do if that's what you remember it being. (And my original registration date was 2000.)

And I say that as someone who will talk to almost anyone and has a very short ignore list.

GrandAdmiralJello : If you consider what moviefan did "abuse" of the function and that's the concern, it seems that at the mod level he could be asked to not participate in the conversation at all if he isn't interested in talking to anyone but himself? It would be no different than a moderator stepping into a thread to steer it back on topic. That situation was pretty easy to spot, even if you can't see who is ignoring whom. And again it's hardly worth taking the function away from those of us who have posted in the thread that we support it but are not using it that way and do not intend to.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's sort of a more spectacular situation -- what I'm more concerned with is the day-to-day issues of somebody ignoring a bunch of people and creating odd redundancies and people taking past each other in a way that might not be obvious.

Anyway, look -- my main point wasn't really to debate you guys. I just noticed that the anti-camp wasn't being as convincing as it could be and that the pro-camp was focusing on individual rather than macro concerns. So I thought I'd provide a different perspective and see if that changed minds at all. I wasn't that interested in seeing my argument carry the day.

What I've learned is that done people have thought "oh hmm that's an interesting point" and some people have thought "that's interesting, but I'm still pro-ignore." That's fine -- now I know that even with the concerns I've mentioned, most pro people are still pro because the reasons they like ignore are still paramount. That's fine.

I'm still very much against ignore but the whole point of this thread is to see what the users think, so I'm going to withdraw for now unless folks still want to hear from me. If there's a new twist in the argument that I feel the need to weigh in on, I'll come back.

So continue to discuss amongst yourselves. I'll still read -- and who knows, maybe somebody will change my mind or something. As noted, there's ongoing discussion in MS where we're taking this thread into account.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Ender Sai, Iron_lord and Frank T. like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    FWIW, your arguments have made more sense to me than any others on the anti-ignore side and if there were multiple instances of such threads happening, I could be persuaded to change my mind.

But there aren't, and as I see it the pros of keeping the function far outweigh the cons of what might happen if a lot of people created 50-user ignore lists, an unlikely scenario anyway.

19. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    Yes! Ban the abusers. Give them a warning and if they continue to derail a thread start temp banning them. Just add "Don't abuse the ignore button..." in the rules of the forum. Explain what abuse would look like and what the mods will do if they abuse the function.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The problem with the thought of banning the abusers is we have no way of knowing if the person is doing that or if they are just scrolling past people or even just being nonsensical. We can't see who ignores whom.

(This isn't saying I feel one way or the other, I've been following closely and have actually been swayed both directions with different opinions. I honestly don't know how I feel about it right at this moment. )

EHT and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In the situation that started this thread, the user flat-out said that he was adding several users to his ignore list; after that happened was when it became obvious that he was having a conversation with himself.

I personally don't think that's ban-worthy. I don't even think it warrants a formal warning. Just a "participate in the conversation or don't" in the thread in a situation in which that is obvious.

Can someone point me to the multiple other disjointed threads on this site where we have posters talking to themselves, or are we really looking at a change in board policy over one stubborn religious guy who doesn't want to hear other points of view?

Even as someone who gave him a lot of **** in that thread, I don't think he warrants the attention of a change in forum policy.

Nor do I think he represents the typical JC poster by any means so I see no reason to assume that other people will follow suit and start, using Jello's phrase again, creating their own islands.

...or their own message boards.

V-2 and Shira A'dola like this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's not a forum policy, though... the ignore feature is just a default setting... much like, as Evan pointed out, the ability to edit PMs, delete posts, put images in your sig, etc.

Anyway... we're repeating ourselves, now. We don't need to make the same arguments, back and forth, for the entirety of this thread. I've given my thoughts, and they're recorded here for MS to review... same with other peoples' thoughts. I'm going to follow Jello's lead and back off a bit, to give others the opportunity to post their thoughts. I'll post again if I come up with something else, or think of something new, but I'm getting tired of defending the same argument, over and over.

23. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    don't have a problem with the "ignore" feature (nor do I have anyone on it)

I like knowing the option is there however. As someone who (admittedly) can be easily annoyed (a fault of my own and not a virtue) I'd rather be able to cool off by simply saying "right, putting you on ignore for awhile while I cool off" than being dragged into a bait and banned.

my two cents anyway.

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    We pick and choose which discussions we participate in and nobody should be compelled to engage with anyone they don't want to.

The ignore feature supports the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Principles of Behaviour (being on ones best behaviour, being respectful to oneself, taking responsibility for ones own behaviour). I can't find a rule or principle that it contradicts or inhibits.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'll add my tuppence worth.

Yes we had a long time with the 'ignore' function. But during that time we also had a lot of people asking if it was possible to have one. It wasn't, but it shows that back then there was an interest in having one. I don't see the "we went along without one" argument to be a valid one, as it was oft-requested.

As for it's usage now, I've used it. I found one user particularly grating and it detracted from my enjoyment of the boards. So I put him/her on ignore for a bit and carried on in blissful ignorance of what that person said. At a later date, I then removed that "ignore" happy that if I felt I couldn't enjoy all the boards because of one user then I could do the same again.

The misogyny thread aside, I have yet to see any unproductive use of the ignore function, and thus no need to remove it. From what I see, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Yes, that one thread was a problem, but as one person here as said we should act on the user/post level. There's no need to change board policy due to one errant thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.