main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Master Raze Golladio

Master Raze Golladio Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2014
    That would end up being really odd, a bit like the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when the entire episode centered around Xander and you'd catch glimpses of some major storyline in the background, or the episode of Dr Who which had the Doctor and Martha Jones running around, trying to sort out the problem with the Weeping Angels, meanwhile centering on Sally Sparrow. It would be a really bizarre movie - certainly not one that should be released cinematically, but could be made as a project with scenes from the movies spliced in to show how the movies actually integrate into the full story arc for the droids.

No, I don't think that's how it is at all. I think the reason that Obi-Wan said, "he is our only hope" and Yoda retorts, "no, there is another," is because Obi-Wan hasn't spent any time in Leia's presence (corporeally, at least), so therefore he hasn't been able to feel the lurking Force-sensitivity in her, whereas because Yoda's affinity with the Force has always been so much stronger, he can sense it, even from Dagobah. Or at least that's the feeling that I always drew from the scene.
    My unpopular opinions:
    1) The acting in the PT is diabolical - I know the Jedi are supposed to restrict their emotions to make themselves clearer-minded and less susceptible to thoughts of corruption and vengeance, but seriously, watch them back and see if you can garner any empathy at all with anyone other than Sidious.
    2) The dialogue in the PT is shockingly bad - for example:
    Ugh. Really?

Kato Sai likes this.
  2. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

^^^^This.

Those "hiccups", of course, are because the "other" wasn't Leia at the time that TESB was written/filmed/produced.

That Bad Huh likes this.
  3. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    I agree with that one. But I think that the majority of the fans agree as well, so it's a pretty popular opinion :p

4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Unpopular Opinion: It is hard to believe that Qui-Gon Jinn discovers the secret to becoming a Force Ghost. Qui-Gon spends so much time caught up in the politics of the Order and obsessed over the Prophecy of the Chosen One that it is almost beyond the realm of belief that he could quiet himself and learn the secret to immortality. It would have been more believable if Yoda had discovered the secret instead.

Valairy Scot and Sarge like this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm glad it was Qui-Gon. Yoda has too much power and greatness attributed to him.

mes520 likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's a lot of Qui-gon's life that wasn't seen before TPM. That's why in the deleted scene he tells Yoda that he didn't have the time to master this ability like Yoda and Obi-wan will.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    That is in essence the key to my point. If Qui-Gon did not have the time to even master the skill of becoming a Force Ghost, it makes it even more unlikely he would stumble across it in the first place. However, the counter argument for Gray Jedi admirers is that because Qui-Gon was unorthodox and less rigid, the Force reached out to him and taught him something hidden from ordinary Jedi. Still, Yoda would have been a better match. Yoda in ESB has a demeanor and disposition that reminds me of Qui-Gon, in that he has learned much from the Force and finds some of the traditions of the Jedi to not be as important anymore. Yoda could have easily been written in as the character who discovers the secret. This would even have been a more smooth transition to why Yoda is one of the three Force Ghosts we see at the end of ROTJ.

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I always looked at Qui-Gon as more of a ronin among his fellow Jedi, unlike such members as Mace and Yoda who were very much involved with the structured Order and Republic that they sought serve and protect. He reminds me a lot of Kambei in Seven Samurai in the way that he rallied up others to protect those who needed protection regardless of the potential harm that it could bring upon himself. He put complete faith and belief into everything that he did. Qui-Gon was not afraid to say "no" to the Jedi, and acted on his own ideals and beliefs that, while sometimes different from that the Jedi Order asked of him, never forced him to cross the path to the Dark Side like others such as Dooku and Anakin. He looked at the Force differently than the other Jedi did, and tried to teach his understanding to Obi-Wan who, unfortunately, struggled to grasp these concepts and, in essence, wound up kind of botching Anakin's training. Qui-Gon was the only one with an expanded view that was able to truly see the power and potential in Anakin. Once he died, everything turned into a squabble over who could control the kid. Jedi, Sith, it didn't matter. Without Qui-Gon's guidance and complete faith in the Chosen One Anakin was doomed to the fate that he had, and until Luke there was really no hope for redemption.

It makes perfect sense, to me, that Qui-Gon would be the one to discover this ability and pass it on to Obi-Wan and Yoda after the fall of the Republic. Obi-Wan and Yoda were great Jedi, some of the best, but they had their flaws even in the original films where they probed Luke to kill his father and neglected to tell him the truth. Qui-Gon, a Jedi separate from the Order but still very much a part of that lifestyle, dying in order to protect the the people that he loved (love from a Jedi's perspective, at least) and the child that he knew would go on to save the galaxy (under different circumstances, no doubt, but still the same end result) learning the secret to such abilities just feels right in the world that Lucas created.

Sorry if I'm rambling incoherently. My thoughts are kind of winding up on the page faster than I can think. :p

wobbits, minnishe, WriterMan and 3 others like this.
  9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

He didn't just tumble onto it. He discovered it because he felt that there was more to learn and that lead to his encounter with a Shaman of the Whills. The whys and hows of this aren't important, other than he did.

10. Master Raze Golladio

Master Raze Golladio Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2014
    You should really try and see TCW season 6 - now considered canon, remember - the last few episodes go into the whole Force Ghost / manifestation of the Force thing, and show how Yoda not only learns of the ability from Qui-Gon, but earns the right to begin his training in the ability. It explains where the Force comes from (and I suppose to some extent, what it actually is), and goes some way to explain The Father, Son & Daughter of the Force in the sense that it shows that the beings that we see in the movies are not the highest-evolved species in the galaxy, nor are they the beings the most attuned to the Force. It really is quite incredible, and although it feels a bit cartoon-y and a bit hippie-dippy at times, it really opens up the SW universe so much more than we could ever have conceived of previously.

thejeditraitor and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    My unpopular Star Wars opinion: The Emperor's death in ROTJ was silly

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree the manner in which it was handled was.

I disagree about TCW S6 opening up the possibilities much at all I thought the Lost Missions were pretty poor.

13. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    my unpopular opinions
    -I do not like the Yoda fight in Episode Two
    - Lando is not a traitor, but rather a man who was stuck in a lose lose situation and did the best for both parties
    -the ewoks in rotj should have been wookiees
    -Never liked Wedge because of his exit in the Battle of Yavin IV

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't like any Yoda fights. A lightsabre doesn't suit him.

Malcolm Reynolds likes this.
  15. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    agreed. I am ok with his fight in episode three but he is a thinker not a fighter

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

I both like and don't like it. I like that Palpatine is defeated in a mundane fashion -- by throwing him over a railing. It really drives home the point that what matters is our character, not the abilities we are born with. Anakin's strength in the Force didn't matter at all in the end, just his choices.

On the other hand, I can see why you say it's silly. I remember on TV tropes someone asked why the Emperor didn't stop shooting lightning when Vader picked him up and another commentator replied that he might not have been able to -- that he couldn't help himself, the way animals will lose control of their bladders when they're startled or scared. And now I find it a tad difficult not to find it silly as well.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think that's the point of the scene at all interesting thought though.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I like that explanation, it fits with how the dark side draw from your harder to control emotions and Palpatine was just to full of hate and anger right then to be able to anything but strike around himself in fury

Andy Wylde, Sarge and FRAGWAGON like this.
  19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He didn't stop using the lightning because he was trying to kill Vader with it. After all, he's part machine and said machinery is subject to electrical overload.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

IMO Palatine was as shocked that Vader grabbed him as the audience was (or at least some of them :p). For me, his lightning was not aimed at hitting Vader, but rather it was just uncontrollable as Palatine was trying to realize what was happening. It all happened in seconds after all.

wobbits and Sarge like this.
  21. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    The diversity and variety of aliens in ROTJ was too much and seemed force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  22. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    In my previous post I meant "and seemed forced" instead of "and seemed force".

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk

23. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    Force lightning and bladder control, two things that I thought I'd never see discussed at the same time.

24. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Welcome to the boards.

25. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

I bet it burns when he pees...

Sarge likes this.