main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disable the ignore function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

No, because right now what I could do is slap you on ignore, and selectively reply to your posts whilst ignoring others. This would leave as angry as if you'd never left Southampton and itself is a really ****weak, passive aggressive form of baiting.

Basically what I'm saying is that the ignore feature puts constraints and limits on both parties in that equation, and if you want to keep it that should be defined.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Actually, I'd much rather hear what Dave has to say.
    See above.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, really?

People get just as pissed about people not getting responses to their posts as they would about being actively baited?

To each his own I guess. I would actually rather be put on ignore than be told, "I don't like your posting style" or called a "hater", or told "You should expect people to call you a hater/ask why you're here/etc. when you post that way"--all of which has been said to me, all apparently within the TOS.

If it is baiting to ignore someone's posts with the feature, then it's baiting to use the scroll-down option too.

Which goes back to my point about "you must respond to everyone who addresses you" not being part of the TOS.

Thuro, Shira A'dola and V-2 like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm trying to brainstorm ideas that will benefit everybody.... the users who want the feature, as well as the users who feel it obstructs discussion. I'm not really interested in arguing endlessly. Let's find a solution.

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The irony is if ender just took some time out using the ignore feature he'd not be 15 pages worth of ^upset^.

In all seriousness I don't think we need a solution until there becomes a problem.

Darkslayer and Thuro like this.
  6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

No, I wasn't subjected to that, and yes it is obnoxious behaviour. But as you said, let the mods deal with that. If said person broke the rules, then let that be dealt with. As I said before, who looks like the fool? This is a message board. This is the internet. You will get morons. But this whole thread is an over-reaction to one person and one thread. The ignore function gives a lot of people that one option to do something about people that annoy then and KEEP THEM POSTING. You are a strong individual, like Ender Sai, and you have the ability to deal with negative posters. Be thankful for that. Countless others aren't that fortunate and would just walk away.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    anakinsfan, I specifically called out that selectively responding when you have used the ignore feature is the point of concern I made. If you intend on only half-reading what I wrote, or rather substituting what I've said for what you wish I'd said in order to give your replies more dramatic weight, then this conversation is likely to fall over incredibly quickly.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That doesn't make any sense. How would the guy know if you are ignoring him?

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Did you just compare me to Ender Sigh, butthole? :p

Thuro, Shira A'dola and halibut like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You should be so lucky, harps.

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Only in the positive way :)

harpua and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I say put in the rules that members are free to use the ignore button, but taunting the person they ignored will not be tolerated (No "Welcome to my Ignore list"). Users who utilize the ignore button should avoid posting in threads where most of the participants are ignored by user. They are not banned from participation but they are asked to view "Ignored Content" prior to posting a response. This is for the benefit of all users and will avoid disjointed threads.

Or something like that.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    [face_whistling]

Thuro and Shira A'dola like this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Truly the worst mod we have.

15. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    I really don't understand how continually bashing on the mods is going to get anyone anywhere.

Darkslayer and V-2 like this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think he's bashing..... just giving feedback.

lol.... we briefly had moderator reviews, five or six years ago. I think it lasted a few months, before fizzling out.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I'm trying exceptionally hard not to get cranky here, because you see I have a very low threshold for people who waste my time with idiocy. By the same token, this thread needs cool heads to prevail.

Deep breaths...

At no point have mods been "continually bashed", as you put it.

Their input has been sought and valued. Former mods have also contributed extensively to the discussion. As you appear to have slept through most of the posts in this thread, let me bring you up to speed on the exciting new developments where Halibut and I have discussed how a framework would practically work which, if taken through to its logical conclusion, assists the mods by developing it so they don't have to.

If your comments relate to Bazinga'd, I would note that a) Bazinga'd attitude wholly earned my post over most comments in Comms to date, and b) your comment about "continually bashed" is the kind of breathless hyperbole I've not seen since I asked Dani to describe OneDirection for me.

In future, if your intent is to waste people's time with a wildly inaccurate post can you at least flag it up front so I can try out this newfangled ignore feature?

Marvelous.

[​IMG]

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    OK, this was a hilarious post knowing the stuff you two get into [face_laugh]

Thuro likes this.
  19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'd rather listen to what you people (what do you mean you people!?) have to say on the issue. As I said before, we mods can only talk about the ignore feature from a theoretical point of view, as none of us can use it. Let it not be said that the MS doesn't take the user base into account!

My POV has shifted since this thread started. I don't think "grow a thicker skin" is a good argument, honestly, and all of the other arguments against it don't justify the negative effect it would have on the users that have grown accostumed to it. Right now I'm in favor of leaving the ignore feature on and just ironing out the possible misuses and abuses of it.

20. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Never have I seen a more striking example of a mod "of the people, for the people and by the people". =D= Take a bow, ser.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He's a badass.

22. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    Interesting how you wildly assumed this post was A. based solely off your most recent reply to Baz and B. solely in response to you alone. Because neither are actually accurate assumptions.

Bazinga'd and Thuro like this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, and commenting that there was mod bashing in this thread, and it was counter productive, was a veritable bastion of correctness and accuracy was it? **** me.

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    You want to accuse me of anything go right ahead. But stop going after other users who don't agree with your position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

V-2 and Shira A'dola like this.
  25. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    This thread seems to have deadlocked. Now I'm not trying to tell the mods how to do their jobs or anything of the sort. This is just my personal opinion. But it seems like all parties have said their peace. Is there anything more to be gained from this thread? Because I'm sensing a lot of hostility.

Shira A'dola and jcgoble3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.