main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Disable the ignore function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    Well there mod bashing going on in this thread, and it is counter-productive. I'm not the only one who's noticed it. But saying that my comment was about your statement and you alone is an assumption, and a false one at that. So I would appreciate it if you'd, y'know, maybe ask clarification next time before you go on an insulting rant about me, or anyone else for that matter.

Thuro likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Discussions sometimes get heated. I don't see hostility. I think we've made some progress in the past couple of pages, actually.

3. Shira A'dola

Sep 4, 2012
    Edit: I agree with Thuro. I really don't think there's anything else to be said for either side (correct me if I'm wrong). I think all that's left is for the mods to deliberate amongst themselves. We're really getting more arguments and hostility now than helpful opinions.

Thuro likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, so how about we stop talking about how people talk, and talk about the topic, instead?

Shira A'dola and Thuro like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sorry I am late to this. What are we discussing? I had most of you on ignore.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, that would be a good step. If you don't want this thread to get closed, stick to the topic. If it appears there's nothing else to discuss, I'll lock this up and move the discussion to MS.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    We shouldn't lock the thread until after the Focus Group announcement. Mods, I await your kind invitation.

harpua and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  8. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Well my opinion on it. I find it helpful. There are three people on this forum who I do not like. I have two of them blocked so I don't get in a fight.

Fighting leads to anger. Anger leads to more anger. More anger means getting banned for another four months. Hence I find it contributes to a sense of calm in my own personal posting experience. I do not feel that another persons possible slight inconvenience is more important than my defense against anger. Furthermore I do not believe that those two people even know they've blocked so their inconvenience is likely non-existent.

Shira A'dola and V-2 like this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, but do you see how that may be a little unhealthy? You're relying on a button to manage your anger.

10. Shira A'dola

Sep 4, 2012
    Thuro has a really good point that I hadn't even considered before

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    :p
    Now we have pseudo psychologists chiming in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

V-2 likes this.
  12. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Managing anger is using every tool you can. I'm not going to clip a lawn by hand when I have a lawnmower. Use every tool in your arsenal to make life the easiest it can be.

But this is all OT so I'm shutting up now.

V-2 and Shira A'dola like this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think he's relying solely on it just saying it's a factor that will aid him not crossing a line again.Thuro I beg your pardon if I'm incorrect. I myself was driven away from the prior boards by ex-Mod's manner towards me. This was before the ignore feature. Had it been in play then, I could've been spared a lot of grief and hassle.

I sincerely hope a feature I've wanted for years and barely have even had access to for six months isn't suddenly taken away again. If it is, it may well drive me away again possibly for good. I've had enough upset because of this place. I have many friends and acquaintances here that have helped my healing of wounds no one understands but this place is generally hostile particularly in certain areas the option to ignore a user balances things out. Please don't remove it.

V-2, Thuro and Jedi_Lover like this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You know nothing about my background.

Anyway... I'm just saying there are better and more productive methods of managing anger, that's all.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not even going to dignify this asinine rubbish with a response.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Except, you just did. :p

Darkslayer, Thuro and Shira A'dola like this.
  17. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Well he can't rightly ignore it now can he? - TOS and all.:p

V-2 and Shira A'dola like this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    JoinTheSchwarz, you can lock it up. Your thinking covers both mine and halibuts concerns and positions, and if you're headed in that direction I'd dare say a good outcome will result.

19. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Quite correct. I see you are a study of human character.

Malcolm Reynolds likes this.
  20. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I actually have a question for you, Ender, regarding the reason you created this thread. The inspiration for this thread was Moviefan in the Misogyny thread? After reading through the first few pages of this, I went over to the thread in question and scanned through all the posts. I didn't notice anything disjointed about him not responding to your counterpoints or only responding to like 2 other people. Are you saying it's a problem for discussion because you want him to see your counterpoints, or because you thought it disjointed because of his apparent random interjections? Because if your reasoning is the latter, I'd have to disagree with that assessment.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    This is well covered grounds, ASR. I've noticed it halt flow a few times, not just when someone (Fire_Ice_Death) ignored me but when I've seen other users when one of the pair is ignored talk past one another. Moviefan was a catalyst, but certainly not sole cause.

I mentioned early on that I was content to assume that it was "just me" but when I saw tom say it, I felt it was worth exploring more in comms. As a general rule, there are two people I use as a barometer - a combination reasonableness test and compassion test. If either tom or Frieda (Healer_Leona) feel strongly about something, and you are on the opposite side to them, it's worth reconsidering your stance. If you agree, you might be in the right.

(obviously this is in most cases, not all, but it's a useful guidance tool).

22. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Right, fair enough. I still have to cast my vote with the people saying keep it but establish guidelines for it, but now I understand where you're coming from a bit better.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It would be like me going into a Christianity discussion and posting about drinking infant blood and slaughtering kittens, while having the majority of the people in the thread on ignore. I could post all the offensive and triggering crap I wanted without having to listen to any counter arguments... really obnoxious to deal with. That's why some guidelines will be helpful.

Frank T. likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think though, ASR, that notwithstanding the questionable comments from some segments in the last 2 pages of this thread, a broad consensus was more or less reached anyway - if it stays, define the rules for both parties because the current rules don't really address it adequately. JohnTheShorts seems to be thinking the same thing, so I'd dare say that is where we'll end up.

25. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I'm getting tired so please forgive me if this doesn't come out right. Right now this is how it looks.

More than half the users who have posted in here seem to want to keep it.
    The mods seem to want to keep it.
    The benefits seem to outweigh the...oh whats that word? The opposite of benefits.
    Users don't have to deal with people they don't like. It is largely a fight prevention tool.​
    V.S.
    It disrupts conversations, two members talking over each other. But while jarring, I don't especially see this as a large problem. Perhaps it is just me.​

Now of course there is Ignore-Baiting for lack of a better word. Posts like "Welcome to my ignore list" or "Na-Na I can't hear you". This is annoying but could easily be solved by the moderators by adding a Ignore-Baiting to the trolling section of the terms of service.

Right now it seems to be doing its job and I (just me personally) don't see a reason to change it. This are just my opinions.

Edit: Ah. It seems I've been Ninja'ed.

A valid point but that is why we have moderators. No?

V-2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.