main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Zhen Zhen

Zhen Zhen Jedi Knight

Sep 2, 2012
    Are any of the the Old Republic novels good?

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Knight Errant is amazing, otherwise yeah.... not so much great stuff in that era.

3. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

I hear Deceived by Paul S. Kemp is loved, as well as Knight Errant. Annihilation by Drew Karpyshyn is allegedly great. I only question that because the only other novel I've read by Karpyshyn (Revan) was truly awful.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If the Devastator was Vader's flagship, why didn't he transfer its crew to the Executor?

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What source says he didn't?

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the Executor is over 100 times the volume of the Devastator - even if Vader did transfer his old crew over - he'd still need plenty of new crew as well.

7. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I imagine that any flag officer transferring command to a new ship would take hardly anyone with him. His/her own staff, maybe a couple of officers he particularly wants, but for the most part the old crew stays where it is. If you moved the whole crew across, you'd have to waste time retraining them on the new ship, waste time training a replacement crew for the old ship, and just generally create unnecessary work.

And, as Iron_lord says, there would be a lot of empty positions still needing to be filled. A star destroyer holds about 35,000 crew, while the Executor needs closer to 300,000. You could move the whole crew across and it would barely be a drop in the bucket.

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - the 501st would probably be the only personnel Vader routinely transfers over - always keeping them with him.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks for the answers. I wonder what happened to Wermis, Bolvan, Praji, and Jir.

10. IronAngel89

IronAngel89 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2014
    I'm so excited, I got the Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn books after in their hardcover format for only $20. I am so excited to get those in.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Wermis became governor of the Wheel and Praji governor of Kaikielius.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I've just started Heir to the Empire. Really excited! The first 50 pages are really well-written, and seem to be setting things up well. I'm anticipating greatness.

13. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've read Revan and Deceived and enjoyed them both particularly Decived.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. IronAngel89

IronAngel89 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2014
    I just started the Thrawn trilogy not to long ago and I'm on the 3rd book now. Timothy Zahn really knows how to put pen to paper with his writing skills.

15. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Just bought the Thrawn Trilogy and I like it. I read that Darth Vader and The Ghost Prison is good? Should I get it? It's fairly cheap on Amazon.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was an entertaining enough read.

spicer likes this.
  17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    If you like darker SW stories definitely check it out.

18. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Do you recommend reading Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader? Is it good, bad, mediocre...?

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it's pretty good - shows how Obi-Wan learned Vader was still alive, for one thing. Luceno in general is a good SW writer, with even his least good works being worth a look.

spicer and darklordoftech like this.
  20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Ok, thanks :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I think I am at the end of my rope for the "Legends" EU. I'm not sure what else there is out there for me to read until they start releasing stuff that is actually really (really) cannon again! BUT, and I know this isn't necessarily a literature question, but I heard that Darth Bane shows up the the Clone Wars cartoon (voiced by Mark Hamill!!)?? What episode? I'm not the biggest TCW fan, but I'd like to see that!!

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The finale of Season 6 - Episode 13, Sacrifice.

23. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    I'm not new to the EU by any means, I've read the vast majority of adult fiction SW novels, but I do have a question regarding the Star Wars comics: what are the best ones? And what would be the best and most reasonably cheap way to acquire them? I'm not a big comic book person, but I'd like to check some of them out. I've seen Legacy, X-wing, and Republic listed as good ones, what are some others?

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The three you listed are among the best. I guess it depends on what you're interested in. There's Knights of the Old Republic, Dark Times, and Empire for some great long-runners. Some good minis are Chewbacca, Blood Ties, Jango Fett: Open Seasons, Jedi vs. Sith, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison, Darth Maul (the one from way back in 2000 or something), and so goes the list.

spicer likes this.
  25. Tala Que

Tala Que Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2013
    Okay, quick questions here. What is the age difference between the Solo twins and Anakin (Solo)?